Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File sharing problem. Speeds between two computers different

Options
  • 12-01-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

(i have already put this on audio-video editing forum but thought should get some help here too)

Hi,

I bought a new laptop today, unfortunately, it doesnt have a Firewire port and i want to use it for video editing.

But i figured no problem really, i'll just capture on my desktop that i have been previously using to edit on, using Premiere pro to edit, but HDVsplit to capture, and then transfer the files over to the laptop using a USB or possibly trying to setup a home network.

But when transferring files from the desktop onto the laptop via the router using ethernet cables, the speed is about 250 kb/s and when its the other way around, from the laptop to the desktop, the speed is 10 MB/s!!

Why is this? I really need to find away to speed this up as the overall files i want to transfer are over 5GB.

You can read a bit more about it here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130539

any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭swampgas

roguey wrote: »
    (i have already put this on audio-video editing forum but thought should get some help here too)

Hi,

I bought a new laptop today, unfortunately, it doesnt have a Firewire port and i want to use it for video editing.

But i figured no problem really, i'll just capture on my desktop that i have been previously using to edit on, using Premiere pro to edit, but HDVsplit to capture, and then transfer the files over to the laptop using a USB or possibly trying to setup a home network.

But when transferring files from the desktop onto the laptop via the router using ethernet cables, the speed is about 250 kb/s and when its the other way around, from the laptop to the desktop, the speed is 10 MB/s!!

Why is this? I really need to find away to speed this up as the overall files i want to transfer are over 5GB.

You can read a bit more about it here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056130539

any help appreciated!!

Sounds like a Duplex Mismatch issue.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

Quoting from here: http://www.routers.com/References/DuplexMismatch.html
    A duplex mismatch can be detected by two means:

TCP throughput is asymmetrical (perhaps an order of magnitude more in one direction than in the other);

Make sure that your network cards are set consistently. Ideally Gig NICs should be set to auto-negotiate, might depend on the router.

Personally, I'd invest in a small cheap Gigabit switch ... worth having in any case, if the PC and laptop support Gig.

* EDIT *
    Thinking about it some more - if the problem was there when the laptop was connected to the router over WiFi, then the most likely place you are having a problem is between the desktop and router.

Regardless of the situation, if you are going to copy files frequently between the laptop and desktop, you should really get a Gigabit switch and connect both to that, you can then chain the switch to your Zyxel router for internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

ok, i'll look into gettin a gigabit switch. how does it work? as in will it be easy to use and install? where does it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭swampgas

roguey wrote: »
    ok, i'll look into gettin a gigabit switch. how does it work? as in will it be easy to use and install? where does it go?

A switch acts as a central point of contact for everything connected to it. So, whatever you plug into it will be able to talk to each other.

A four port switch is all you need, and maybe another LAN cable.

Desktop ]
    [ Switch Port

Laptop ]
    [ Switch Port

Router ]
    [ Switch Port

Connect the desktop to a port on the switch with a LAN cable.
    Connect the laptop to a port on the the switch with a LAN cable.
    Connect the router to a port on the switch with a LAN cable.

That's it.

All the ports on the switch are equivalent, it doesn't matter which one you use for each connection.

You should see the status LEDs on each port light up when the cables are connected. You should also see some status LEDs light up on the laptop and desktop where the cables connect. These LEDs will blink as data is passed over the switch.

You should now be able to transfer files quickly between the laptop and desktop.

Advertisement