Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Kindle on sale in PC World

Options
  • 12-01-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

PC World now have the kindle on sale & the exclusive rights to kindle sales in Ireland, they have both the wifi edition available at 149e & the WIFI + 3G edition available at 199e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Is this in all PC Worlds? Which one did you see it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

I just bought it in cork. It even comes with the UK USB charger.

Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Are they selling any accessories for the Kindle in the Cork branch?

I looked for the leather case with the light and it wasn't there, so I don't think so. They did have other cases but they were more generalist ones for 6 inch ebook readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Yeah see both versions on their Irish website

Can't see if it's in stock though

• Advertisement

Actually, what they have is shown here:

http://www.pcworld.ie/category/eReader-Accessories/2.10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Yeah see both versions on their Irish website

Can't see if it's in stock though

They have a few of both the wi-fi and the 3G model's available in the Carrickmines branch & accessories should be in within the next couple of weeks.

Kevin! wrote: »
    They have a few of both the wi-fi and the 3G model's available in the Carrickmines branch & accessories should be in within the next couple of weeks.

So the leather case that they sell in the amazon kindle store is going to be available as well?

_Nuno_ wrote: »
    So the leather case that they sell in the amazon kindle store is going to be available as well?

Yes, that leather case will be available alongside a charger and many other kindle accessories.

Yes, that leather case will be available alongside a charger and many other kindle accessories.

Thanks!

But mine came with the mains charger anyway, which I wasn't expecting since the international kindle store does not ship with one. I think this is the UK version being sold here.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

But mine came with the mains charger anyway, which I wasn't expecting, since the international kindle store does not ship with one. I think this is the UK version being sold here.

Yes, it is indeed the UK version being sold here - with the standard plug fitting but it could be handy for those who have bought kindles abroad or have a malfunctioning charger :)

Do they have any display models? If so, are they working?

Yes, it is indeed the UK version being sold here - with the standard plug fitting but it could be handy for those who have bought kindles abroad or have a malfunctioning charger :)

Yes, it could still be useful to those who bought the kindle without it. :)

Do they have any display models? If so, are they working?

There is a display model yes, and the one in Cork was working.

Got one in Waterford today. Was delighted.

However, the demo model is only running through demo pages. The buttons don't work so you can't actually see how it would be to use it properly. Also, they had no accessories for the Kindle in store so I'm still short a case.

Got one in Waterford today. Was delighted.

However, the demo model is only running through demo pages. The buttons don't work so you can't actually see how it would be to use it properly. Also, they had no accessories for the Kindle in store so I'm still short a case.

oh, I pressed a button on the display model in Cork and it changed page so it must have been a coincidence!

Anyway, I was set to buy it so I didn't spend too much time with it.

I am waiting for the lather case with the light to be available as well.

I am waiting for the lather case with the light to be available as well.

You can still get the case from Amazon UK

You can still get the case from Amazon UK

Yes, but it's not really worth paying the shipping costs if you can get it in PC world for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Amazon don't charge for shipping on orders over £25, and the case with the light is £51 isn't it? PC World will probably charge extra as they've already made £111 = €149.

Amazon don't charge for shipping on orders over £25, and the case with the light is £51 isn't it? PC World will probably charge extra as they've already made £111 = €149.

Is it? I don't know, I have only checked the case when ordering from the .com website, because I was ordering the kindle from there.

The case is very expensive in the UK shop though. 51£ as opposed to 59$?

Maybe it's not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

How does the Kindle's screen compare in size to an actual book? Is it much smaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

TheZohan wrote: »
    How does the Kindle's screen compare in size to an actual book? Is it much smaller?

Its a little smaller but it doesn't affect reading at all. Its just right. Guessing I'd say theres probably about 1/4'' off the border of an average book. After using it for about a month now I still prefer books, its just the convenience of being able to carry this easily and the free internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jet Black wrote: »
    Its a little smaller but it doesn't affect reading at all. Its just right. Guessing I'd say theres probably about 1/4'' off the border of an average book. After using it for about a month now I still prefer books, its just the convenience of being able to carry this easily and the free internet.

Did you say free internet good sir? I am intrigued :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Why not just buy direct from Amazon. Even with postage and VAT, it works out cheaper than €199 for the 3g/wifi, and you have the added bonus of not having to deal with PC World.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I have been thinking about picking one of these up, a quick question though. Does the Kindle store have readily available 'gift cards' for it? (Like, lets say how you can pick up an itunes gift card in any o2 store or tesco). Or alternatively, does the store take laser?

(I don't have a credit card, and I don't want one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Bambi wrote: »

It has free 3G wireless that you can use to browse the internet. Its basic but you can check emails and use boards mobile. Its only device I know of with free internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Only1Rovers

I bought a Kindle on Amazon yesterday, I couldn't see any on the PC World website. Much the same price between buying on-line and in-store.

Also, from my experience the customer care from PC World is horrific. A friend of mine bought a kindle from Amazon a few months ago.... sat on it, rendering it unreadable... he rang Amazon told them the Kindle is broken and they sent him out a new one straight away, no questions asked. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

TheZohan wrote: »

Slightly smaller than the size of an average paperback I'd say.

Mine arrived a few days ago. Amazed how quickly the books arrive once ordered. Pretty much download within a few seconds.

Bambi wrote: »

yep it's free internet on the 3g version where amazon has an agreement with a service provider (most countries). there are 2 caveats to this though -

1. The kindle is only OK for browsing but not great really - some websites won't work at all, entering text is laborious (screen not designed for instant refresh).

2. The web browsing feature is under an experimental heading in the menu. Many believe that Amazon will remove the free browsing aspect after a period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I wouldn't bother with the 3G model. I have it and have used the 3G functionality maybe twice.

Advertisement