Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Kindle on sale in PC World

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

gerryk wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the 3G model. I have it and have used the 3G functionality maybe twice.

I do too and I've used it loads of times. Particularly when I was away and there were no wi-fi spots nearby. In fact it was a godsend when I was in Munich just before Xmas checking the snow and flight situation at Dublin Airport.

I think it is very shortsighted to just get the Wifi model. The 3G Kindle is not that expensive and it is basically free basic internet anywere for as long as the Kindle works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭John mac

I bought a 3g one before Christmas, is there a way to tell if the 3g is working (we dont get a 3g icon on the screen) although it connects to the wifi no prob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Yup. Go somewhere there is no wifi and using the browser, go to wikipedia.
    Or buy a book and let it magically arrive. I bought a book when I got on the bus to Galway recently, and was reading it before I got to James' Gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I do too and I've used it loads of times. Particularly when I was away and there were no wi-fi spots nearby. In fact it was a godsend when I was in Munich just before Xmas checking the snow and flight situation at Dublin Airport.

I think it is very shortsighted to just get the Wifi model. The 3G Kindle is not that expensive and it is basically free basic internet anywere for as long as the Kindle works.

Fair point... for your usage patterns. My last 3 phones have had tethering capability, so 3G wasn't necessary.

Hindsight is 20:20 and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Didn't know PC World were selling it. Ordered mine from the states the other day there for abotu 195 with the delivery.. not a massive price difference and the free charger in PC World would be good. I got it because I'm moving to South Korea so the charger would be no use to me anyway :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭John mac

the charger (that came from the US) is universal voltage just need to use an adaptor.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Got one last Saturday in PCWorld, Letterkenny.

Great job, so it is. Sadly, I've already been sent an email from Amazon whinging about my Kindle not being in the UK. Any way I can get back within Amazon UK or am I now forever stuck with Amazon.com?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69586712&postcount=11

Have a look at that post for details on changing your region. I quite like amazon for leaving this little loophole open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The WiFi version is cheaper on Amazon, but the WiFi/3G version is cheaper in PC World alright.

Tempting, but I don't think 3G alone is worth an extra 50 quid.

The WiFi version is cheaper on Amazon, but the WiFi/3G version is cheaper in PC World alright.

Tempting, but I don't think 3G alone is worth an extra 50 quid.
    Scrap that, they're both cheaper on Amazon.

• Advertisement
    byte

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69586712&postcount=11

Have a look at that post for details on changing your region. I quite like amazon for leaving this little loophole open.
    Yeah, I did do that to order some books.

But the day aftre (already got the books), I got an email from Amazon saying my Kindle wasn't in the UK, and asking for photo ID to confirm I was in UK.

I've ignored it, though haven't ordered any more books since. No option to put Kindle through a proxy which is a shame :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Send them a photo of Big Ben!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 skiman

Bought the Kindle 3G in PC World. It is a good piece of kit. I see that PC World are selling the leather cover c/w light for €60.00. Its £50.99 on the Amazon.co.uk site. Add postage currency convert and fees and its probably cheaper to buy here in the Republic. Anyone have the cover and is it worth the mullah.

skiman wrote: »
    Bought the Kindle 3G in PC World. It is a good piece of kit. I see that PC World are selling the leather cover c/w light for €60.00. Its £50.99 on the Amazon.co.uk site. Add postage currency convert and fees and its probably cheaper to buy here in the Republic. Anyone have the cover and is it worth the mullah.
    Yeah I have it, I'm not sure it's worth 60 quid but I'm still glad I bought it! As you know the Kindle doesn't have a back light and I find myself using the light on the case more often than not.

Plus I don't think I would be comfortable carrying the thing around without a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I have it too, like it a lot, but have a read of these before you buy.......

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgNo=669&cdPage=27&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3FJ6CAEP9VL9E&displayType=tagsDetail&cdMsgID=Mx27GBGHGFBDNOX#Mx27GBGHGFBDNOX

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/discussion.html/ref=cm_cd_notf_thread?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx12U61UWYSO3UY&cdPage=1&asin=B003DZ163E&cdThread=Tx17O3815XVEMVM

tldr..............there's a theory that the metal clips that attach the kindle to the case are hitting something in the kindle hardware, causing a short circuit resulting in ramdom re-boots, loss of memory (page loss) etc.

This (or something strange) is definitely happening to mine - in bursts - I might have 5 - 8 re-boots in 2 days and nothing for a week. It is so flippin annoying. It usually only happens if I've put the kindle down to do something, and then pick it up again....re-set, c 30-120 seconds, and then I have to try find my page again. It never happens when I take the case off. I'm not comfortable using the kindle without the case, tho' (but then, the screen broke on my first kindle :o)

It hasn't happened for 2.5 weeks - but the next time it does I will be ringing Amazon asking them for an alternative case.

Haven't had that myself, fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Oh! I'm mad to get a Kindle is there any deals on at the moment or should I buy direct from Amazon?

Well you can only purchase the kindle from amazon.com, that means higher shipping from american, longer wait and the possibility of import charges.

Or you could just walk down to your local Pc World. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

Mine is already broken :(

Today I picked it up and only the bottom third of the screen works, the rest is blank.

I am bringing it back to PC world for replacement tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't waste money on expensive case, I got this one from DX and it's a perfect fit, just ~ €8

• Advertisement
    byte

Oh, that's the one I'm still waiting on. Hope it'll be as good as yours :) Not too big an outlay in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

byte wrote: »
    Oh, that's the one I'm still waiting on. Hope it'll be as good as yours :) Not too big an outlay in any case.

it took four weeks for mine to arrive but given the price it's worth the wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Looking at getting a Kindle for someone who travels alot so the 3G is the option to go but what im wondering is would it be better to buy from Amazon or PCWorld. there is no difference in price to me PCWorld obviously being more convenient and quicker but im worried seeing the comments about the PCWorld ones having issues using amazon UK account? what exactly is the problem here and is it easily gotten round?
    Any advise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

fifib wrote: »
    Looking at getting a Kindle for someone who travels alot so the 3G is the option to go but what im wondering is would it be better to buy from Amazon or PCWorld. there is no difference in price to me PCWorld obviously being more convenient and quicker but im worried seeing the comments about the PCWorld ones having issues using amazon UK account? what exactly is the problem here and is it easily gotten round?
    Any advise?

A Kindle bought from Amazon will be exactly the same as one bought from PCWorld. The problem seems to be that Amazon can tell where you are located and if you are not in the UK it will direct you to the Amazon.com website.
    There is more information on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056044467

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

bedlam wrote: »
    Ring them, Amazon have been offering a refund or replacement option since late December.

Rang - got a refund and a voucher for €25.00. :)

OH has taken the clips off the cover and attached my kindle with velcro. Works a treat. Win:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭rebelchick2

Any idea if these are still available in PC World?
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Any idea if these are still available in PC World?
    Thanks!

They seem to only be available at the PC world at Dublin airport.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73120282&postcount=132

You would be better off ordering from Amazon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 46 smasherplan9

_Nuno_ wrote: »
    Mine is already broken :(

Today I picked it up and only the bottom third of the screen works, the rest is blank.

I am bringing it back to PC world for replacement tomorrow.

Nuno, was there any problem getting a replacement? Mine has gone the same way after 1 week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I bought a Kindle in Dixons in Dublin Airport in June - and stood on it last week.

The top 3-4cm of the screen was stuck on the screensaver and wouldn't refresh.

I rang Amazon (in the US as that's where Irish users are sent) and after trying an unsuccessful reboot over the phone they told me they would credit my Amazon account with the cost of a Kindle - and promptly dispatched me a brand new one which I got in two days! No searching questions asked or blame apportioned!

I simply have to send them the old one back and let them know the postage cost so they can credit me the amount.

Now that's customer service. The new Kindle was even already set up with my Amazon details so I only had to sync it to get my books back. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah based on what I've heard Amazon are very good with that sort of thing, I haven't had any problems with my kindle though, long may it continue.

Advertisement