Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco petrol cheap

Options
  • 12-01-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

driving round claremorris today all petrol stations were priced at 1.41.9 for unleaded. so I go to tesco to do some shopping and after pop in for some petrol as you drive in, there is a big sign that says seriously cheaper petrol, it was 1.41.9 so where is this seriously cheaper than around claremorris in my opinion it should say average priced petrol for the area. also I like many others find tesco petrol crap in that it seems to burn a lot faster. also you all might say its a lot cheaper than where you live well thats fine but if you were to drive up here for this petrol its probably going to end up costing you more :D so in a sense is this false advertising ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What seemed to happen in most places when tesco came along is that the other garages in the area all dropped their prices to Tesco's levels. Take Tesco out of the equation and the prices will shoot right up again. How to you spell c-a-r-t-e-l?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I pulled in to the very same pumps and got €20. Drove through Ballindine where it was 139.9. AND to add insult to injury I find that Tesco ARE NOW GIVING HALF CLUBCARD POINTS FOR PETROL/DIESEL:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I pulled in to the very same pumps and got €20. Drove through Ballindine where it was 139.9. AND to add insult to injury I find that Tesco ARE NOW GIVING HALF CLUBCARD POINTS FOR PETROL/DIESEL:eek:

So you didn't shop around, how is that Tesco's fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What seemed to happen in most places when tesco came along is that the other garages in the area all dropped their prices to Tesco's levels. Take Tesco out of the equation and the prices will shoot right up again. How to you spell c-a-r-t-e-l?

Have to completely disagree, the complete opposite has happened in Tullamore, in fact tesco lead the way in screwing people. With the exception of one station "Sweeney oil", the remainder have and continue to follow tescos lead up wards. In fact Tescos has been historically the most expensive station in Tullamore for more than a year now!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

superfish wrote: »
    also I like many others find tesco petrol crap in that it seems to burn a lot faster.

That is utter crap - tesco don't make petrol, they sell it! It is refined in the same refineries as the petrol from every other station is refined. Most of it comes from whitegate in Cork. Their current supplier is Esso. - No difference whatsoever.

As for prices - expect €1.50 soon - check motors thread or www.pumps.ie for reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clown_

I was told by my friend who works in tesco that there was a problem with water leaking into the fuel tanks in claremorris.That was supposed to be why the fuel didn't last as long as it should have.
    I don't know how true that is but i seen them digging the place up a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

91011 wrote: »
    That is utter crap - tesco don't make petrol, they sell it! It is refined in the same refineries as the petrol from every other station is refined. Most of it comes from whitegate in Cork. Their current supplier is Esso. - No difference whatsoever.

As for prices - expect €1.50 soon - check motors thread or www.pumps.ie for reasons.
    thats an awfully rude and ignorant way to reply, ive live in mayo 10 years and all the locals say the same that tesco petrol is full of muck and does not last as long as petrol from other places its common knowledge round these parts as shown in the post below
    clown_ wrote: »
    I was told by my friend who works in tesco that there was a problem with water leaking into the fuel tanks in claremorris.That was supposed to be why the fuel didn't last as long as it should have.
    I don't know how true that is but i seen them digging the place up a few weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

thats an awfully rude and ignorant way to reply,

It's an accurate reply. Tesco petrol, like all petrol, comes from the same refinery, which makes it the exact same as everyone elses.
    ive live in mayo 10 years and all the locals say the same that tesco petrol is full of muck and does not last as long as petrol from other places

Anecdotal evidence from locals, yeah that's going to be accurate. The story that Tesco petrol is inferior has been going around for years, but there's never been any evidence that it is. In fact, it's identical to the stuff that their supplier uses in their own brand stations (used to be Statoil, could be Esso now).
    its common knowledge round these parts as shown in the post below

Quoting a poster, where the poster admits they don't know if the story is true, is hardly proof for your argument, is it? Water in your petrol will cause misfires, which you would notice.

Tesco have only ever matched the prices in the local area, they never compete. In many cases, they don't even match it, they just get close enough to win custom without loosing too much profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Does anyone else not find tesco petrol to be poor quality petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

in waterford up until last year a statoil delivered the petrol in tesco then went to the nearest statoil to deliver, but yes down here its been ages since tesco was tthe cheapest .usually go to top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you feel that Tesco's petrol price advertising is misleading, then make a complaint to the ASAI.

jor el wrote: »
    It's an accurate reply. Tesco petrol, like all petrol, comes from the same refinery, which makes it the exact same as everyone elses.

Anecdotal evidence from locals, yeah that's going to be accurate. The story that Tesco petrol is inferior has been going around for years, but there's never been any evidence that it is. In fact, it's identical to the stuff that their supplier uses in their own brand stations (used to be Statoil, could be Esso now).

Quoting a poster, where the poster admits they don't know if the story is true, is hardly proof for your argument, is it? Water in your petrol will cause misfires, which you would notice.

Tesco have only ever matched the prices in the local area, they never compete. In many cases, they don't even match it, they just get close enough to win custom without loosing too much profit.
    ok I never said he was inaccurate I was referring to his response "that is utter crap, its just plain rude if some one were to speak like that to my face id give them a good slap. and yes I have tested their petrol on many occasion and got less miles compared to filling up with the exact same amount at other stations, for example it usually cost me 15 euro to galway and back, yesterday it used a full 20 euro of tesco petrol and before you start saying its down to how you drive, I drive the same everywhere i go changing gears in around 2500revs and never go above 60mph, also the car was empty. many people say the same thing about tesco petrol in claremorris. you have proably never been to claremorris so your comments hold no weight. all the same thank you for your imput

Courtesy

Be polite to your fellow Users. Instead of "That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard and I can't believe you wrote it." You might try "I disagree, and here is why..." and don't forget those Please and Thanks words that your mother taught you.

found this in the rules

Be polite to your fellow Users
    if some one were to speak like that to my face id give them a good slap

Nice that you practice what you preach.
    for example it usually cost me 15 euro to galway and back, yesterday it used a full 20 euro of tesco petrol and before you start saying its down to how you drive, I drive the same everywhere i go changing gears in around 2500revs and never go above 60mph, also the car was empty.

So what you're saying is you normally run out of petrol (otherwise it wasn't empty, maybe just low), put exactly €15 in it, and this gets you to Galway and back before running out again. But this week, you ran out and put €20 in it, which was the exact amount needed to go to Galway and back before just running out again. This is the anecdotal evidence I was referring to, and is not at all accurate.

Also, the price of petrol has been increasing lately. €20 won't get you as far now as it did a few months ago.

Nice that you practice what you preach.

So what you're saying is you normally run out of petrol (otherwise it wasn't empty, maybe just low), put exactly €15 in it, and this gets you to Galway and back before running out again. But this week, you ran out and put €20 in it, which was the exact amount needed to go to Galway and back before just running out again. This is the anecdotal evidence I was referring to, and is not at all accurate.

Also, the price of petrol has been increasing lately. €20 won't get you as far now as it did a few months ago.
    im not here for an argument, and stating that anyone who spoke to me like that to my face would get a slap is not being rude to other user its probably the view of many other users, I have been nothing but polite in my posts. I am fully aware that you are just looking for an argument so I slip up and say something to get banned, well not going to happen and again thanks for your input :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

im not here for an argument, and stating that anyone who spoke to me like that to my face would get a slap is not being rude to other user its probably the view of many other users, I have been nothing but polite in my posts. I am fully aware that you are just looking for an argument so I slip up and say something to get banned, well not going to happen and again thanks for your input :D

How many of us actually slap someone else in the face when they disagree with them? I think the answer is effectively none.

Please do not advocate violence in this forum. As a moderator, I will not tolerate it.

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    How many of us actually slap someone else in the face when they disagree with them? I think the answer is effectively none.

Please do not advocate violence in this forum. As a moderator, I will not tolerate it.

dudara

There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and being plain rude, if I have offended anyone with my comment then I apologize. thank you for correcting me dura as I was unaware that expressing my opinion of a rude and derogatory post is to advocate violence. I stand corrected

I am fully aware that you are just looking for an argument so I slip up and say something to get banned

You are completely wrong. I don't know why you think that, or is it your belief that every moderator that disagrees with someone is out to ban them? This is a completely ridiculous belief, one without any founding or sense.
    I was unaware that expressing my opinion of a rude and derogatory post is to advocate violence

That's not what dudara was referring to, and you should know it. Threatening to slap someone in the face is advocating violence, and is what will not be tolerated. The rude and derogatory post you refer to was simply correcting your post, using the same word (crap) that you originally used. Tesco don't make petrol, and their petrol comes from the same refinery as that of every other petrol retailer in Ireland.

You are completely wrong. I don't know why you think that, or is it your belief that every moderator that disagrees with someone is out to ban them? This is a completely ridiculous belief, one without any founding or sense.

That's not what dudara was referring to, and you should know it. Threatening to slap someone in the face is advocating violence, and is what will not be tolerated. The rude and derogatory post you refer to was simply correcting your post, using the same word (crap) that you originally used. Tesco don't make petrol, and their petrol comes from the same refinery as that of every other petrol retailer in Ireland.

I said if some one said that to my face. i did not say im going to slap the person who made that comment it was hypothetical. Id like to point out I have since apologised for that comment so why drag it out. the rude and derogatory comment was in my opinion verbal abuse. now lets stop getting sidetracked from my op id like to hear the thoughts of other people that is unless you have something constructive to say that directly refers to my op, otherwise im not interested thank you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I said if some one said that to my face. i did not say im going to slap the person who made that comment it was hypothetical.

Oh ok then the "if" makes it ok,

If thats the case then, IF somebody ever thanks one of my posts on a forum I'll track them down, beat them to death, steal all their stuff and murder their dog.

Sure thats not in anyway offensive or suggesting violence at all because I said if
    :rolleyes:

Ah the greatness of if, you can't get away with saying anything when you use it

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oh ok then the "if" makes it ok,

If thats the case then, IF somebody ever thanks one of my posts on a forum I'll track them down, beat them to death, steal all their stuff and murder their dog.

Sure thats not in anyway offensive or suggesting violence at all because I said if
    :rolleyes:

Ah the greatness of if, you can't get away with saying anything when you use it
    if some one says it to my face. I think you may need to read the comment again and revaluate what you have just said. the word if used in my particular case was hypothetical. they way you use the word if is threating to use violence toward other users, I did not

if some one says it to my face. I think you may need to read the comment again and revaluate what you have just said. the word if used in my particular case was hypothetical. they way you use the word if is threating to use violence toward other users, I did not

hypothetical or not, suggesting you'd slap somebody is violence and saying you'd do it to somebody if the said the same thing is advocating violence

Unless of course you think slapping people isn't violence?

what is boards pg12 now or something ? im sure you have heard a lot worse in your life time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

thats an awfully rude and ignorant way to reply, ive live in mayo 10 years and all the locals say the same that tesco petrol is full of muck and does not last as long as petrol from other places its common knowledge round these parts as shown in the post below

its the truth - sometimes to be proven you're wrong can hurt

How about this -

It was common knowledge in Carlow about a year ago that people were coming up to other in a tesco carpark, putting a cloth over their face and they fainted immediately and cash was taken.

It was common knowledge in various branches of Dunnes stores last year that babies were being abducted in the car park

(there were even threads on boards about both of these)

I offered €10,000 to anyone who would give proof of either of above happening and no-one came forward. A radio station in USA offered $100,000 to anyone who could prove the first item (its a world wide myth) and no-one came forward.

Independent unbranded fuel stations around Ireland suffer from the same crap statements that you put out about tesco - King Oil is athy was one (supplied from Topaz) and Naas Oil was another (supplied by TOP)

Common knowledge is not proof. Yarns told by busy body locals are exactly that - Yarns.

91011 wrote: »
    its the truth - sometimes to be proven you're wrong can hurt

How about this -

It was common knowledge in Carlow about a year ago that people were coming up to other in a tesco carpark, putting a cloth over their face and they fainted immediately and cash was taken.

It was common knowledge in various branches of Dunnes stores last year that babies were being abducted in the car park

(there were even threads on boards about both of these)

I offered €10,000 to anyone who would give proof of either of above happening and no-one came forward. A radio station in USA offered $100,000 to anyone who could prove the first item (its a world wide myth) and no-one came forward.

Independent unbranded fuel stations around Ireland suffer from the same crap statements that you put out about tesco - King Oil is athy was one (supplied from Topaz) and Naas Oil was another (supplied by TOP)

Common knowledge is not proof. Yarns told by busy body locals are exactly that - Yarns.
    great stuff so if i prove it you will give me 10 grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Cabaal wrote: »
    So you didn't shop around, how is that Tesco's fault?

The Tesco pumps were first on my trip.They were €139.9 last Saturday. The advantage of getting it there was the Clubcard points for the OH, which are now cut in half - 10 pts for spending €20:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Tesco pumps were first on my trip.They were €139.9 last Saturday. The advantage of getting it there was the Clubcard points for the OH, which are now cut in half - 10 pts for spending €20:(
    Not much point is paying over the odds for fuel to get 1 cent in a Euro in Club Points. False economy there my friend! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

:D:D Brilliant! Post links to Blogs, Digital Spy and other Boards threads to PROVE something. It's these very sites that give rise to the myths in the first place. Anything from the real world??? :D Thanks for that; it brightened my morning. :D

• Advertisement

:D:D Brilliant! Post links to Blogs, Digital Spy and other Boards threads to PROVE something. It's these very sites that give rise to the myths in the first place. Anything from the real world??? :D Thanks for that; it brightened my morning. :D

ok here is something from the real world for ya................ go fill up there

Advertisement