Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco petrol cheap

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

superfish wrote: »
    ok here is something from the real world for ya................ go fill up there

You've lost me. There's nothing there. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Despite only having a few stations, (9) tesco claim to have 6.5% of market share in retail fuel.

That's 1 in every 17 cars.

There are about 2.3m cars on Irish roads

So tesco supply the fuel to about 150,000 cars

Now forgive me for being a bit blatant about this - BUT IF there was anything whatsoever wrong with tesco petrol there would be an awful lot more than a few eejits writing on anonymous internet forums compalining about it!!!

Its an URBAN MYTH!

Tesco Petrol is the same as any ohter branded petrol, it is refined by independent refineries (whitgate is state owned). The same refineries supply every other fuel staion in the country. The brand overhead on th garage forecourt is just that - a brand.

Some of them do put additives into the fuel - but it is an additive, not a different process from a different supplier / refinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

91011 wrote: »
    Despite only having a few stations, (9) tesco claim to have 6.5% of market share in retail fuel.

Now forgive me for being a bit blatant about this - BUT IF there was anything whatsoever wrong with tesco petrol there would be an awful lot more than a few eejits writing on anonymous internet forums compalining about it!!!

Its an URBAN MYTH!

Tesco Petrol is the same as any ohter branded petrol, it is refined by independent refineries (whitgate is state owned). The same refineries supply every other fuel staion in the country. The brand overhead on th garage forecourt is just that - a brand.

Some of them do put additives into the fuel - but it is an additive, not a different process from a different supplier / refinery.
    again im talking about one tesco petrol station in claremorris not all of them. has anyone stopped to think there could be dirt in the tanks at this 1 particular station or is that unthinkable because a big company like tescos would never rip anyone off. please read the op correctly before responding thank you

again im talking about one tesco petrol station in claremorris not all of them. has anyone stopped to think there could be dirt in the tanks at this 1 particular station or is that unthinkable because a big company like tescos would never rip anyone off. please read the op correctly before responding thank you

Petrol tanks are seriously secure items. Manufactured to a very hig grade.
    IF and a very very big IF, there was something wrong with something in the tank, it would be dealt with immediatley and not just brushed away.

Sit outside that garage for an hour tomorrow and count how many cars go through - my guess would be about 100. Mulltiply that by about 10 to get their average daily amount - about 1000, multiply by 7 days = 7000 and you still believe the mindless busy bodies that have nothing better to do than make up stupid stories?????

If there as anything wrong, there would be HUNDREDS of motorists with serious problemsa nd it would become national news.

Its bullsh1t and urban myth unless you can show even a sliver of proof! (not another auld one yapping)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Petrol tanks are seriously secure items. Manufactured to a very hig grade.
    IF and a very very big IF, there was something wrong with something in the tank, it would be dealt with immediatley and not just brushed away.

Sit outside that garage for an hour tomorrow and count how many cars go through - my guess would be about 100. Mulltiply that by about 10 to get their average daily amount - about 1000, multiply by 7 days = 7000 and you still believe the mindless busy bodies that have nothing better to do than make up stupid stories?????

If there as anything wrong, there would be HUNDREDS of motorists with serious problemsa nd it would become national news.

Its bullsh1t and urban myth unless you can show even a sliver of proof! (not another auld one yapping)

Over two pages of irrelevant garbage about people smacking other people and you talk about 'auld ones' yapping :rolleyes:

(tho otherwise I agree with your point :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

looksee wrote: »
    Over two pages of irrelevant garbage about people smacking other people and you talk about 'auld ones' yapping :rolleyes:

(tho otherwise I agree with your point :D)

Yes agreed, this thread has descended into farce, I recall the OP's question relates to whether or not Tescos Petrol is cheaper. The only urban myth is that is is when it is clearly not, in fact I have no doubt Tesco's presence in rural towns has in fact driven up the cost of petrol. Here in Tullamore the rest of the stations are like lapdogs following Tesco's prices daily with the exception of one station "Sweeney Oil".

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

thats just my point how can they advertise that they are cheaper than everywhere else when its clear they are not. maybe when they first came out they were a good 5 cent per litre cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you believe Tesco's advertising to be misleading, or false, then lodge a complaint with the ASAI. In other words, do something about it.

think you have already said that once dura

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Perhaps - but it's the best advice for the question asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just to point out that Whitegate is owned by Conaco Philips an American company and there are no other refineries in the Republic

http://www.hydrocarbons-technology.com/projects/whitegate/

Its an URBAN MYTH!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

think you have already said that once dura

dudara is pretty valid, in fairness it'll do alot more then mindless stupid ranting on the internet will

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Really letting yourself down with your posts Superfish. I have filled up in loads of stations over the years (tesco included) and never once noticed any difference in any of them. The advertising point is one thing but the nonsense about bad petrol is awful tripe. Those links you linked to were a specific issue in the UK and as far as I remember it had nothing to do with Tesco (or the other garages involved) but was down to the storage tanks the petrol was kept in at the depo.

point taken this is the wrong place to rant about it. but what i find mad is everyone who comments here seem to be an expert on one particular petrol station that they have never even used so in fareness how can you comment on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kismo

I think the op posted a perfectly reasonable post whats with everyone attacking him just for asking a question ? I have filled up in the petrol station mentioned and yes I did notice it did not last as long as my usual topaz station. I also heard that they did have a problem with water getting mixed in their tanks thats why it was being dug up only a few week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The original point is taken - Tesco may advertise as being seriously cheaper and for petrol at least they're not. I'm not going to say anymore about fuel quality because I feel strongly that it is exactly the same as everywhere else. If people think otherwise fair enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 joinUs2

totally agreed I saw the work men outside their pumps only a couple of week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

point taken this is the wrong place to rant about it. but what i find mad is everyone who comments here seem to be an expert on one particular petrol station that they have never even used so in fareness how can you comment on it ?

Its easy to comment on it due to standardisation. All tescos will have to meet a minimum standard.

Majority even but petrol from the same batch etc. This ensures that for example most of the Dublin tesco petrol stations are getting the exact same fuel. This is how we can comment.

Rumours are just that... rumours. That fuel is tested. If a few people started buying petrol there and getting less performance... well how did they calculate it? How did they measure this drop in performance? Unless they did very controlled tests... dont bother! Pretty much likely/definately wrong.

muboop1 wrote: »
    Its easy to comment on it due to standardisation. All tescos will have to meet a minimum standard.

Majority even but petrol from the same batch etc. This ensures that for example most of the Dublin tesco petrol stations are getting the exact same fuel. This is how we can comment.

Rumours are just that... rumours. That fuel is tested. If a few people started buying petrol there and getting less performance... well how did they calculate it? How did they measure this drop in performance? Unless they did very controlled tests... dont bother! Pretty much likely/definately wrong.

so what your saying is that no one particular petrol station could have a problem with their tanks taking in water because the petrol is of good quality. it seems the problem was with the tanks at this particular petrol station not the petrol or where it came from. as it came from the same source. its not until its put into the tanks at this particular petrol station it became contaminated hence the work men digging up the tanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

so what your saying is that no one particular petrol station could have a problem with their tanks taking in water because the petrol is of good quality. it seems the problem was with the tanks at this particular petrol station not the petrol or where it came from. as it came from the same source. its not until its put into the tanks at this particular petrol station it became contaminated hence the work men digging up the tanks

Digging up the tanks?, have you ever seen the size of those tanks?, they are as big as an artic truck, the whole garage would be closed for a considerable period if they had to dig up the tanks.

Have you contacted the AA to see if they had any complaints about tesco petrol?.

Car/fuel performance can only be accurately tested by traveling the same distance at the same speed in the same conditions, did you do that?

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    Digging up the tanks?, have you ever seen the size of those tanks?, they are as big as an artic truck, the whole garage would be closed for a considerable period if they had to dig up the tanks.

Have you contacted the AA to see if they had any complaints about tesco petrol?.

Car/fuel performance can only be accurately tested by traveling the same distance at the same speed in the same conditions, did you do that?

Mother of god are we still enduring the petrol quality at Tesco's argument. I reckon if water had leaked into the tanks (extremely unlikely) there is no way Tesco's or for that matter any garage would be permitted to sell the fuel, Jesus can you imagine the damage it would have done to engines!

Back to Topic, Tesco's are screwing the nation on Petrol prices and anyone who thinks they are cheaper is living in cuckoo land!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

In theory it is possible for a tank that's water contaminated to not affect all cars that fill up from it.

Water is heavier than petrol and the two don't mix so any water in the tanks will be at the bottom and there will be a definite line between them. If the pump feed is above this line you will get 100% petrol, if below you'll get 100% water, and a bit of each if in the middle. This boundary between water/petrol would be fairly thin and perhaps could be siphoned off by a small number of cars.

However if you are one of the unfortunates who unknowingly ends up filling their tank with water I'm pretty sure the effect on your engine would be fairly catastrophic.

I'd be amazed if fuel pumps don't have water traps to protect customers (i.e. protect the business from claims) from water in their fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

"there is a big sign that says seriously cheaper petrol"

Leaving aside the quality issue and returning to the ops point, there is an issue with how the large supermarkets advertise and portray themselves.

seriously cheaper petrol implies to me at least that they are cheaper then the competition, now they either are or they are not, but they are conning alot of people who dont (but should) check the actual price into believing that they are getting better value.

when they open first they discount heavily and give good value planting those seeds into customers minds, then they raise the price and the customers keep coming in. false advertising yet they are never pulled on it.

aldi do something similar with their promise/statment of better quality fruit and veg...... again totally unsubstantiated.

dont be conned by these big operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Tesco can be cheaper, but if you have to drive to get it, it's just not worth it. I found 3 really interesting tips that were given by an expert from a big oil company about 3 years ago, for someone reason I always remember them.

1. Fill up early in the morning, especially on a hot day. The petrol is thicker and you get more of a "Litre" into your tank for the same price.

2. Try and leave your tank full, especially on a hot day. You don't loose as much to vapours

This is my particular favourite

3. Pump in the petrol slowly. That way you get all the petrol you pay for and very little is lost to vapours or splashes, as you will pay for what ever leaves the pump whether it's in your tank or not.

Hopefully someone finds them useful ;)

For all those who say Tesco / Maxol / Topaz or whoever is ripping off on petrol prices - LESS than 10 c on average for the cost of a litre of petrol goes to the combination of importer / distributor / retailer.

That 10 c pays for everything from additives, storage at port, delivery to garage, rent of garage, rate, electricity, staff, credit card commissions, etc etc.

Its the one thing that is not a rip-off except in the amount the government takes.

Out of todays average price of €1.46, 51c is the cost of the refined petrol, 10c is the distributor/retailer margin & the entire balance is nade up of the following

Vat (25.4c)
    National oil reserves agency levy (2c)
    Carbon tax (3.5c)
    Duty (54.6c)

So if you see a garage at 1.43 today - they are making less than 3c per litre (assuming industry average distribution costs of 4c).

Where they do make money is on the sandwiches:D

For all those who say Tesco / Maxol / Topaz or whoever is ripping off on petrol prices - LESS than 10 c on average for the cost of a litre of petrol goes to the combination of importer / distributor / retailer.

That 10 c pays for everything from additives, storage at port, delivery to garage, rent of garage, rate, electricity, staff, credit card commissions, etc etc.

Its the one thing that is not a rip-off except in the amount the government takes.

Out of todays average price of €1.46, 51c is the cost of the refined petrol, 10c is the distributor/retailer margin & the entire balance is nade up of the following

Vat (25.4c)
    National oil reserves agency levy (2c)
    Carbon tax (3.5c)
    Duty (54.6c)

So if you see a garage at 1.43 today - they are making less than 3c per litre (assuming industry average distribution costs of 4c).

Where they do make money is on the sandwiches:D

I doubt there will be too much sympathy for service station owners, god bless them. Its my experience and i am sure others that these Pillars of society are fully experienced in the art of profit taking. The scandoulous carry on her in tullamore, the week before the budget was not lost on many locals. These ****ers raised prices by between 4c and 8c prior to the budget, assuming no one would notice and then hey presto duly added the extra 4c budget increase and of course blamed the government. ****ing vultures the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Prices went up by about 10c budget week here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

€1.47.9 in Tesco Clearwater the Friday. I needed fuel so I went there but when I noticed the price I put in €15 which was enough to get me home to Westmeath with some to spare.
    I filled up in my local Maxol for €1.40.9 this morning.

I have been avoiding Tesco for petrol more and more because it is simply not the cheapest these days. Even somewhere like Maynooth which has Tesco and a few other places I have noticed that Maxol is cheaper than Tesco, or was last time I saw it.

On the bright side, Tesco have returned the pay at pump system only these days it seems to work better. Prints a receipt and takes your pin number etc. Probably explains why it is so expensive as they have to cover the cost of the machines.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I doubt there will be too much sympathy for service station owners, god bless them. Its my experience and i am sure others that these Pillars of society are fully experienced in the art of profit taking. The scandoulous carry on her in tullamore, the week before the budget was not lost on many locals. These ****ers raised prices by between 4c and 8c prior to the budget, assuming no one would notice and then hey presto duly added the extra 4c budget increase and of course blamed the government. ****ing vultures the lot of them

More baseless rubbish. Maybe they worked in conjunction with the UK petrol station as prices rose there by about 4p that week, (no budget) or maybe they have a cartel with all USA garages - prices rose by almost 15c per US gallon in early december (EVERY bit of info can be checked on the web!!) (gasbuddy.com & petrolprices.com )

Yes we were unlucky to have a triple whammy of rising oil prices, ($73 to $80 the previous week) weaker euro ($1.39 down to $1.33 that week) and an Irish budget that gave three hits to fuel prices in a 7 day period.

A friend of mine had a station many years ago - she made more money on a £2.50 (pre-2001) sandwich & coke than £30 fill of petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Tesco can be cheaper, but if you have to drive to get it, it's just not worth it. I found 3 really interesting tips that were given by an expert from a big oil company about 3 years ago, for someone reason I always remember them.

1. Fill up early in the morning, especially on a hot day. The petrol is thicker and you get more of a "Litre" into your tank for the same price.

2. Try and leave your tank full, especially on a hot day. You don't loose as much to vapours

This is my particular favourite

3. Pump in the petrol slowly. That way you get all the petrol you pay for and very little is lost to vapours or splashes, as you will pay for what ever leaves the pump whether it's in your tank or not.

Hopefully someone finds them useful ;)
    :D Oh Rachael! You have just posted 3 very old urban myths that have no factual basis. About the only saving from any of them could be one splash less which will get you nowhere. Don't forget to shake the filler handle when finished though, as up to 5 ml (0.7cents worth) can be in the nozzle. ;)

Advertisement