Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco petrol cheap

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

91011 wrote: »
    More baseless rubbish. Maybe they worked in conjunction with the UK petrol station as prices rose there by about 4p that week, (no budget) or maybe they have a cartel with all USA garages - prices rose by almost 15c per US gallon in early december (EVERY bit of info can be checked on the web!!) (gasbuddy.com & petrolprices.com )

Yes we were unlucky to have a triple whammy of rising oil prices, ($73 to $80 the previous week) weaker euro ($1.39 down to $1.33 that week) and an Irish budget that gave three hits to fuel prices in a 7 day period.

A friend of mine had a station many years ago - she made more money on a £2.50 (pre-2001) sandwich & coke than £30 fill of petrol.

So your suddenly the expert. The facts in Tullamore are true and factual. This is the Irish Market, i doubt very much Tesco's work of British trends and for the record, ALL of the local stations rode consumers in the week running up to the Budget.

Yes agreed re profit margins on sandwiches etc, however are we to sympathize with Station owners for choosing to set up said business's.

Finally and for the record, this nonsense about rising oil prices having an affect is complete Bollox, do you not recall a barrel of oil reaching $150 per barrel and higher back in 2007/08. At no time did petrol prices rise to the scandalous levels they are at now. I remain convinced someone and most likely distributors are riding us.

As an aside and since you also wish to quote the American Market (god knows why), i lived and worked in the states for three years and let me tell you their prices could double and still be far cheaper than we pay!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Finally and for the record, this nonsense about rising oil prices having an affect is complete Bollox, do you not recall a barrel of oil reaching $150 per barrel and higher back in 2007/08. At no time did petrol prices rise to the scandalous levels they are at now. I remain convinced someone and most likely distributors are riding us.

If you're going to say something is for the record, you might want to actually check the facts first.

In July 2008, petrol was costing €1.35 per litre, and diesel was €1.45 per litre. By December of 2008, those prices were down to 99c per litre each, and in January hit as low as 95c per litre. This was entirely due to the price of the barrel of oil coming down from $150 per barrel, to under $100. So, the price at the pump is directly related to the price of the barrel of oil. It is also dependant on other factors (excise duty, VAT, refinery costs, delivery costs and also the retailer).

In 2010, the refineries increased their wholesale prices, which pushed up the price at the pumps, the dollar strengthened against the euro, which pushed up the comparative price of a barrel of crude oil, and the government increased the excise rate on fuel. Crude oil price has gone from $80 in January 2010 to almost $92 per barrel today. All of these have combined to increase the price at the pumps, from the 95c it was in January 2009, to the price we pay now.

Historic prices checked at pumps.ie, using the national average rates.

The dollar hit a high against the euro in November 2010, but has since dropped back a bit. This high point would have accounted for the price increase in December, and this coincided with an increase in the crude oil price too. Because of the slight weakening of the dollar Vs euro right now, I would expect there to be a small decrease in price in the coming weeks, that's of course unless crude price continues to go up.
    As an aside and since you also wish to quote the American Market (god knows why), i lived and worked in the states for three years and let me tell you their prices could double and still be far cheaper than we pay!

Again, check your facts. The current average price in NY state is $3.37 per gallon, which is 94 US cent per litre, or 70 euro cent. Double that and you get €1.40 per litre, which is pretty much exactly what we pay here, not far cheaper. Yes petrol is cheaper in the US, about 50% cheaper over all. Don't exaggerate figures when you're stating facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

jor el wrote: »

Again, check your facts. The current average price in NY state is $3.37 per gallon, which is 94 US cent per litre

What conversion rate are you using? I get 89c ($) a litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What conversion rate are you using? I get 89c ($) a litre.

I had used 3.6l, should be 3.78 per gallon. The cost per litre in the US is then 67 euro cent, not 70. Slight error on my part there.

67c per litre in the US! Slightly less than half the price!

Funny, my perception has alway been that the US is cheaper by a much bigger multiple. I did work it out a few years ago and my recollection is that it was much less then than half the price. (I didn't use Imperial gallons). Makes me think the currency has less of an affect than the tax & duty.

I guess the average engine size is twice the size over there, plus distances are greater so they probably end up spending more on fuel than us!

BTW I saw on Sunday, that Applegreen was 2c (€) a litre cheaper than Tesco.

Normally in Dublin (in my experience and I do watch) Tesco is cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

So your suddenly the expert. The facts in Tullamore are true and factual. This is the Irish Market, i doubt very much Tesco's work of British trends and for the record, ALL of the local stations rode consumers in the week running up to the Budget.

Yes agreed re profit margins on sandwiches etc, however are we to sympathize with Station owners for choosing to set up said business's.

I am sort of an expert. :D

I've followed the oil market for over 5 years and can give you data for any month of any year for UK or Irish market. - Like you, I thought the stations were ripping me off, but instead of shouting, I deceied to find out about it and its been a hobby ever since. I even get calls from journalists looking for info on what way the market will go.

And yes UK / USA market is an IDENTICAL comparison as refined oil costs roughly the same worldwide (about 4c cheaper in USA) and an increase in refnery prices will feed into every petrol pump in the world at about the same time.

So the world refinery price will affcet the local station in Tullamore the same time as a station in Birmingham or a station in Boston.

FYI - current average retail price in boston USA is $3.30 for a US gallon which works out at about 66c - but they don't have 21% vat and 60c duty. - they also use the cheaper USA light crude (lower mpg + higher emmissions)

See attached image showing USA price trend & oil price trend for past 3 months - note early december, price rose from $81 to $90.

Dollar went from $1.37 to $1.30 the week before. - can be checked on any currency website.

Sorry to burst your theory, but verifiable facts speak for themselves.

What is Oakland, a refinery?

How come Oakland is consistanly rising (3.26 -> 3.37) despite the almost $3 dip in crude oil?

I am sort of an expert. :D

I've followed the oil market for over 5 years and can give you data for any month of any year for UK or Irish market. - Like you, I thought the stations were ripping me off, but instead of shouting, I deceied to find out about it and its been a hobby ever since. I even get calls from journalists looking for info on what way the market will go.

And yes UK / USA market is an IDENTICAL comparison as refined oil costs roughly the same worldwide (about 4c cheaper in USA) and an increase in refinery prices will feed into every petrol pump in the world at about the same time.

So the world refinery price will affect the local station in Tullamore the same time as a station in Birmingham or a station in Boston.

FYI - current average retail price in boston USA is $3.30 for a US gallon which works out at about 66c - but they don't have 21% vat and 60c duty. - they also use the cheaper USA light crude (lower mpg + higher emmissions)

See attached image showing USA price trend & oil price trend for past 3 months - note early december, price rose from $81 to $90.

Dollar went from $1.37 to $1.30 the week before. - can be checked on any currency website.

Sorry to burst your theory, but verifiable facts speak for themselves.

I will beg to differ but someone needs to explain why the number of convenient price increases at the Pump in the days prior to the budget and ever since. I am sorry to disagree but it seems quite strange that suddenly world markets affects pumps around Ireland and at the same time. I was corrected on a Price i quoted for petrol in 2008, but my figure of €1.20 was in fact confirmed by an interesting discussion on newstalk at lunch time and this price when a Barrel of Oil was costing $150. We are constantly reminded about refinery costs and barrel costs reflecting the price at the bump, based on this assertion one would have expect prices to have in fact decreased apart from the recent budget price.

No one will make be believe that distributors and service station owners where not profiteering during the recent cold spell and prior to the Budget.

I recalled with amusement a time when i lived in dingle, a well known and infamous station owner (you know the sort, owns half the town) was rated as the highest price station in the country, his excuse? it costs more to transport the petrol to Dingle, hilarious when the two other stations were at national levels!

****ing Sharks the lot of them!

I will beg to differ but someone needs to explain why the number of convenient price increases at the Pump in the days prior to the budget and ever since. I am sorry to disagree but it seems quite strange that suddenly world markets affects pumps around Ireland and at the same time. I was corrected on a Price i quoted for petrol in 2008, but my figure of €1.20 was in fact confirmed by an interesting discussion on newstalk at lunch time and this price when a Barrel of Oil was costing $150. We are constantly reminded about refinery costs and barrel costs reflecting the price at the bump, based on this assertion one would have expect prices to have in fact decreased apart from the recent budget price.

No one will make be believe that distributors and service station owners where not profiteering during the recent cold spell and prior to the Budget.

I recalled with amusement a time when i lived in dingle, a well known and infamous station owner (you know the sort, owns half the town) was rated as the highest price station in the country, his excuse? it costs more to transport the petrol to Dingle, hilarious when the two other stations were at national levels!

****ing Sharks the lot of them!

not my fault if you can't understand actual facts.

byw - the 2008 budget added 8c to petrol, yet the price FELL by 3c on average within a few days of the budget. Explain that!!!

What is Oakland, a refinery?

How come Oakland is consistanly rising (3.26 -> 3.37) despite the almost $3 dip in crude oil?

Oakland is a random US town I picked for the chart. Oil price changes to pump price changes take 10 days to 2 weeks in most countries.

Also the orange line should be read with figures on left and the black line with figures on the right.

• Advertisement

not my fault if you can't understand actual facts.

byw - the 2008 budget added 8c to petrol, yet the price FELL by 3c on average within a few days of the budget. Explain that!!!

I along with most reasonable consumers will probably never fully understand the workings of these vultures, we are interested only in what is happening in the real world and at the Pumps. I have joined a mass Exodus out of my local town (Tullamore), traveling to the next (Birr) were prices are 4/5 cent cheaper and the distance between the two towns (10km), perhaps you and all the other experts on this Thread could explain this phenomenon, could it perhaps Birr has discovered its own supply of oil.

Also the orange line should be read with figures on left and the black line with figures on the right.

Yes I understood that. Crude dipped from $91.98 to $89 while at the same time, prices in Oakland hovered around 3.32 maybe rising 1c.

Why did the dip in crude for a week not feed into the pump price? Too short lived of a dip I guess?

So, in conclusion the price at the pump here is a influenced by crude price (=> refinery price), currency fluctuations and tax/excise.
    Then the petrol station makes a call on his markup (couple of cents) based on whether he wants volume and add on sales etc.

Would be better if they sold crude in Euros!

Yes I understood that. Crude dipped from $91.98 to $89 while at the same time, prices in Oakland hovered around 3.32 maybe rising 1c.

Why did the dip in crude for a week not feed into the pump price? Too short lived of a dip I guess?

So, in conclusion the price at the pump here is a influenced by crude price (=> refinery price), currency fluctuations and tax/excise.
    Then the petrol station makes a call on his markup (couple of cents) based on whether he wants volume and add on sales etc.

Would be better if they sold crude in Euros!

You got it right.

All commodities are sold in US Dollars - its the default world currency at present and no sign of it changing.

Advertisement