Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film and Broadcasting aka Creative Arts Question!

Options
  • 12-01-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

im considering doing this course next year at college and i was wondering could anyone give me some advice on what you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

If I'm not mistaken, I'm in 3rd of the old version of this course, which is Media Arts.

It's an excellent, broad course that really lets you hone in out what exactly you want to do in the media. Be it directing, broadcasting, editing, producing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Well I'm in first yer of F.A.B and I chose the irish option out of irish/french/digital cultures.

Having just finished the first semester I still love the course!
    This semester I have done
    *Photography-not my favourite bit of the course it has to be admitted but to be honest its not too hard and just involves taking the lecturers ideas on board but i didnt find the lectures to be of much use.We had four photography projects in the semester.

*Audio-This class is brilliant really practical,the first day we were off recording sound around the college.Denise is one of the nicest lecturers Ive had and she's a great help and is really helpful and friendly.We recorded vox pops out on the streets and we also did an interview and a soundscape and were graded on the last two.

*Creative Writing-I really enjoyed this class.The lecturer seems rather grumpy at the begining but he is brilliant he dosen't sugar coat his critacisms and is very funny.We watched three old films in this class to show different character and how a story is constructed.We also did work about these films and we had to write about a character we like,create our own character,wirte about a character in a situation and the last assignment was a short story/script/playlet.

*World Cinema-This wouldnt be my favourite module but it makes sense as part of the course.The lecturer gives a lecture about the topic then you watch a film from that section the week after.Be prepared to write quickly to get your notes down.We covered Iranian,Beur,west african,Indochina and Indian cinema.This is 100% exam based and i found the exam ok because its basically what she said it would be but i wont know till i get the results.

*Approaches to media-This was the most academic thing I've ever done in my life!Its all about the philosophies and theories behind the media and how it functions.At the start i literally hadnt a clue what he was talking about!Its the hardest part of the course to comprehend and I wasnt alone in being compleatly lost.Its graded on a 2,500 word essay and once you get into doing the essay you're going to be ok.His tutorials were really helpful aswell.And if you're a girl he went down well as something to look at:P

option:
    Irish
    *Gaeilge na mean-this class is alright.Not one of my favourite probably because I had two 9 o'clock starts because of it.Im not the storngest at irish so when the lecturer walked in and didnt utter a word of english i was a bit thrown but you get to grips with it pretty quick.It involves talking about news stories and current affairs and reading newspaper articles in irish and whatnot.This is based on a project and an exam.

*Gaeilge an teanga-This class is really nice is conversational irish so for most of it you sit around having a conversation then you type it up or one similar to it that evenign and email it to the teacher.The exam was a nice one it had questions that were all similar to "My friends and I in D.I.T" wirite a natural sounding conversation on this theme.Like a lot of mine involved talk of nights out and shopping and stuff i know well.He also helps with your vocabulary.

Oh and because we were the irish class we got to do some cool things like a radio workshop at raidio na life and go to a presentation to Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh that had free food and wine.Not bad in the middle of the day.

Hopefully this helps you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I'm not that good at irish so it'd be without a languague if I did it! when I went to the open day we where shown around by that denise woman and she was very helpful! at the moment I have this down as number one on my cao and it really sounds like something that i'd be interested in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sinead_F

Hey I'm wondering if anyone can tell me is there an advanced entry into this course?
    I'm currently in my 2nd year in another college but I'm thinking of transferring as I'm not really happy where I am.

Also, is this a BA?

Sinead_F wrote: »
    Hey I'm wondering if anyone can tell me is there an advanced entry into this course?
    I'm currently in my 2nd year in another college but I'm thinking of transferring as I'm not really happy where I am.

Also, is this a BA?
    BA yes. When we started 2nd year, two new people joined the course so I'm sure there's room for manoevre as long as the circumstances are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 daisyaikou

hey, im in irish student in first year of a similiar media course in london and i am hoping to transfer back to this course in dit for 2nd year next year.

but i just wanted to know (from anyone in any of the years of the course) what your weekly timetable is like? at the minute i have to do 10-5 everyday which i found very surprising when i moved over here.
    i wouldnt mind, but some of the days or parts of them are completely pointless and seem to be filler for no reason.

my friend does a business course in dit and he gets half my hours.
    so yea what kind of hours do you guys get? :)

ALSO i was wondering does this course have exams? or is it graded by continual assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm a second semester first year and I only have 12 hours a week

2-written irish
    2-irish and the media
    3-into to cinema
    2-The history of irish media
    3- Video

everything apart from the practical subjects are exam based and I'm off mondays and tuesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 daisyaikou

I'm a second semester first year and I only have 12 hours a week

2-written irish
    2-irish and the media
    3-into to cinema
    2-The history of irish media
    3- Video

everything apart from the practical subjects are exam based and I'm off mondays and tuesdays.

hey thanks for replying!
    so do you sometimes have a few lectures/classes a day? and do you have early mornings or afternoons?

its just because here in london i have one class a day and its 10-5. we just do one subject area a day and I find it really long and tiresome and a bit needless.

just trying to get a feel for the course in DIT, thanks! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Asgard

Hi
    I'm really interested in this course but I'd like to talk to someone who is doing it with French if possible or anyone who has a couple of years done or has come out the other side and is working in the business.

I need to know what level of French you are expected to have at the start. I don't think the work load would phase me but I'd like to get a better picture of what's involved as I've got some other commitments outside.

Would really appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks.

Asgard wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm really interested in this course but I'd like to talk to someone who is doing it with French if possible or anyone who has a couple of years done or has come out the other side and is working in the business.

I need to know what level of French you are expected to have at the start. I don't think the work load would phase me but I'd like to get a better picture of what's involved as I've got some other commitments outside.

Would really appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks.
    I have classmates who do Franch, a few have gone on erasmus this year. The standard is fairly mixed but most seem to have only an average grasp of it, nothing substantially different to honours French at L.C. level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement