Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packet Loss with UPC

• 12-01-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38

Hi everyone,

We've just changed over to UPC on Monday from Smart. When we were with smart we had speeds of about 1mb and now with UPC we're getting speeds of about 22mb (wirelessly) but the pages are only loading a bit quicker and downloads etc are only a bit quicker as well. When I did a test on Pingtest.net the package loss was between 58% and over 80%! I'm still connected to Smart for the next few days so checked it on their connection and was coming up at 0%.

I've emailed customer support today so hopefully will get a response soon but I was wondering if any of you had any ideas of what's wrong or what I can do about it.

It's frustrating because we were really looking forward to faster broadband!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ignore the packet loss value on pingtest or any of those. AFAIK the router blocks a flood of packets like that so the percentage value it reports is total rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Rhubar

ok thanks for that. Why is it 0 with Smart but not with UPC then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Rhubar wrote: »
    ok thanks for that. Why is it 0 with Smart but not with UPC then?
    Different router settings. If you want to know what your packet loss is, do it via your computer, not the internet, using either Network Utilities on a Mac, or command prompt on a pc. The Mac is easy to do, instructions for the pc can be found via the search option on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've said it to many people, get another good router and put it into the DMZ of the Cisco router, this gets over many issues that people have with the provided UPC Cisco cable modem/routers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement