Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog licence

• 12-01-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Why do the government insist we have a dog licence,but not for cats,horses,pet foxes,snakes etc.??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Equines must have a passport and ones that are a certain age must be microchipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

maplebanks wrote: »
    Why do the government insist we have a dog licence,but not for cats,horses,pet foxes,snakes etc.??:confused:

To fund the dog wardens and dog pounds. No such public facilities exist for other animals, except horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maplebanks

Equines must have a passport and ones that are a certain age must be microchipped.
    yes correct,but the money for horse passports go to the irish horse board, in turn they keep records of breeding ,id markings etc,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

yes correct,but the money for horse passports go to the irish horse board, in turn they keep records of breeding ,id markings etc,

You pay a yearly licence fee to the local council in areas where the control of horses act has been implemented into local by-laws.

You pay a yearly licence fee to the local council in areas where the control of horses act has been implemented into local by-laws.
    i keep horses ,but never heard of this by law,

• Advertisement

It depends what county you live in, will only apply to me from Feb onwards so I'm doing my homework on it at the minute ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 The General.

Its more for them. Thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Whilst I don't object to the idea of the licences I have a major problem with the fact in the forty plus years I have been out walking my dogs I have never EVER been asked to produce my licence nor seen a dog warden. A few dodgy faded auld signs slung about on lamp posts telling us that we will pay a fine if we don’t poopascoop but no enforcement EVER and shi** everywhere.

Get out from behind your desks in the county council offices and start patrolling the parks - way too many young lads with the fighter dogs on the loose to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is there even a record of the licence kept? I bought mine in some village down the country while i was working away for a few days but it's hand written and although it's on one of those books that the writing transfers through onto a copy they keep, do they actually enter the purchase onto a computer or anything?

The reason i ask is that the local dog warden called one night (he lives down the road and thought incorrectly that our dogs were barking all night) and sad that there was no record of us buying licences from the local post office. I had great pleasure showing them to him

Is there even a record of the licence kept? I bought mine in some village down the country while i was working away for a few days but it's hand written and although it's on one of those books that the writing transfers through onto a copy they keep, do they actually enter the purchase onto a computer or anything?

The reason i ask is that the local dog warden called one night (he lives down the road and thought incorrectly that our dogs were barking all night) and sad that there was no record of us buying licences from the local post office. I had great pleasure showing them to him
    i dont think there is, a dog warden called to me asking to see my dog licence,i had bought one a few weeks earlier but couldent find it on the day , told her to check the records but she said she couldent as there was no contact between her and city hall.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I bought mine in some village down the country while i was working away for a few days

Afaik a dog licence is only valid for city or county it is purchased in as its the area where the dog is kept, I'm surprised the warden accepted a licence issued in a different district :confused:

Afaik a dog licence is only valid for city or county it is purchased in as its the area where the dog is kept, I'm surprised the warden accepted a licence issued in a different district :confused:

If that is the case, it is more surprising that the staff on the post office sold it to me then. In that instance it was Cork I bought it in and the address on it was Louth. Although living in Louth I work in Dublin city centre and every other year have bought them there without any problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Dog licences are issued by the county council, therefore you need to have one from the council area in which you live. I am issued with a reminder letter every year to renew my dog licences so there must be a record kept. In saying that, I have never had to produce a dog licence for anyone but still have them all just in case.

I have yet to find out how many dogs a person must have before they need to buy the "multiple dogs" licence (even with my lot I don't fit into this category, but was always curious!). The price is quite a bit compared to a single licence (€12.70 per dog or €253.95 for a multiple) so I'm assuming it's a very high number! Anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's an official document, so I'm sure a record exists *somewhere*, but since it's managed at a county level, I'd say implementation differs from council to council. SDCC sent me an email and an online renewal notice this year, which allowed me to add/change/renew my dog licence online.

As I said in another thread, dog licences seem to be optional outside of the urban areas, or perhaps in very rural areas. My parents moved to a rural Wicklow village ten years ago - population in a 3km radius of no more than 300/400. Loads of farmers and big sites, so there are loads of dogs. In fact, having two dogs seems to be a prerequisite. 2 years after they moved down, they realised they'd never gotten a new dog licence for our dog.
    When my Dad went into the post office, the postmistress had never heard of a dog licence, and therefore had never sold one. And she's been postmistress for a long time.
    It was only then once he got a licence, that he started getting demands from Wicklow Co. Co. to renew every year. Go figure :rolleyes:
    I have yet to find out how many dogs a person must have before they need to buy the "multiple dogs" licence (even with my lot I don't fit into this category, but was always curious!). The price is quite a bit compared to a single licence (€12.70 per dog or €253.95 for a multiple) so I'm assuming it's a very high number! Anybody know?
    It's actually a "general" dog licence and is a bit of a sham. It means if you have twenty dogs or more, or if you have a lot of dogs passing through your hands, you can just buy this licence and you don't have tell anyone what dog(s) you may or may not have.

You don't have to have a specific number of dogs to buy one - you can buy one even if you have no dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Well I live in Galway but bought one licence in Dublin from the pound and the other in Mayo. So if I was asked for it in Galway am I not covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

when we got our rescue dog he came with his licence from another county.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

The dog warden recently called to my house (in a small estate in a rural area) and knocked on everyone's door asking to see licences. I'm not sure whether this was a routine check. I don't imagine there were any complaints as no dogs are left to roam unattended and there is never excessive barking. As for records being kept, the County Council obviously have records as they send a reminder around the renewal time each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I dont get a dog license as by law they cant take the dog of you unless the go out fo their way, get a warrant for the dog seizure (they need a good excuse for judge to give this e.g. attack) so i think a warden couldnt be arsed going through all that so you have a license. ha. Unless dog is outside your premises then he can just take him without license and unaccompanied.Control of Dogs act 1987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I dont get a dog license as by law they cant take the dog of you unless the go out fo their way, get a warrant for the dog seizure (they need a good excuse for judge to give this e.g. attack) so i think a warden couldnt be arsed going through all that so you have a license. ha. Unless dog is outside your premises then he can just take him without license and unaccompanied.Control of Dogs act 1987

So your dog never leaves your property? You never take it for a walk?

ISDW wrote: »
    So your dog never leaves your property? You never take it for a walk?

Of course i do, i take my fella everywhere but be illegal for Warden to confiscate a dog if im there without a warrant as he would need to use a non authorised form of plysical restraint. Dog never leaves property without me. Thanks for trying to start fights tho, says alot about your nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

So does that mean the people like ISDW must buy multiple licences and when the dogs leave the resuce will ISDW still get reminders every year?

So does that mean the people like ISDW must buy multiple licences and when the dogs leave the resuce will ISDW still get reminders every year?

Well id say she has a General dog license for that many dogs, but im unsure as to the regulations for Authorised rescues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

never thought of that actually! not sure but i just know ours came with his licence (it was issued by another co.co but was in my name)

i rarely leave our property now with our lot but we are in the system now so get 4 separate reminders every year!

ppink wrote: »
    never thought of that actually! not sure but i just know ours came with his licence (it was issued by another co.co but was in my name)

i rarely leave our property now with our lot but we are in the system now so get 4 separate reminders every year!

I dunno, might ask someone from a SPCA or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unlikely as he/she doesn't have to tell the council what dogs are on the premises or have left, etc. ISDW would have a general dog licence which covers hmi/her for all dogs coming into her care through the year.

The general dog licence allows you to keep any number of dogs without telling the council how many. A rescue will likely get a single reminder each year to renew their general licence.

Strictly speaking, the rescue is not supposed to rehome a dog unless the person receiving the animal has already gotten a dog licence for that dog. This is probably why/how ppink's dog came with a licence, but I know that in the vast majority of cases this requirement is ignored.
    The Control of Dogs Act 1986 allow for a warden to seize a dog where he/she suspects that an offence has been committed under that Act, including the keeping of a dog without a licence, in order to ascertain whether or not an offence has been committed. The warden does not need a warrant to seize your dog, unless they would have to enter someone's house to do so. They are permitted onto your land for this purpose, just not into the house.

In addition, obstructing the dog warden and/or refusing to give your name and address to the dog warden is also an offence for which you can be convicted & fined.

Seriously, a dog licence is €12.70. That's probably the cheapest insurance policy you can buy against the rare case that a dog warden comes knocking.

True, well aware that its an offence to obstruct a warden. But at end of the day and best point, its 12.70.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Chinasea wrote: »
    Whilst I don't object to the idea of the licences I have a major problem with the fact in the forty plus years I have been out walking my dogs I have never EVER been asked to produce my licence nor seen a dog warden. A few dodgy faded auld signs slung about on lamp posts telling us that we will pay a fine if we don’t poopascoop but no enforcement EVER and shi** everywhere.

Get out from behind your desks in the county council offices and start patrolling the parks - way too many young lads with the fighter dogs on the loose to say the least.

Really? What constitutes a fighter dog?

I find its the people with your every day ,terriers, labs, retreivers, collies & all types of crosses that are out sh*tting everywhere, and thats dogs that are walked on a leash, not to mention dogs that are kicked out the door by their owners to wander around and sh*t everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

We did buy ours in our local post office, but we were wondering what the point is.
    We have two dogs from the same litter...so both black and white, both same breed and same owner.
    We have two hand-written certificates with the exact same information on both. Just didn't seem enough to be honest.
    Maybe they should look at putting the chip numbers on them or something.

If you have to buy it from a post office in your county, shouldn't someone tell the staff at An Post and get them to refuse anyone from outside that county looking for a licence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 sadhbhsdad

On 1/2/11 I went out and got a dog licence. I usually renew in October and thought I had gone 4 months without a licence. Over the weekend I found that I had renewed in October so now I have 2 licences for the same dog. Called An Post looking for a refund and they say they are only an agent and told me to call my County Council.
    Called co-co today looking for the refund from them and it turns out that neither licence is regestered with them so my dog has no licence.
    Coco said get back in touch with An Post and tell them that they must sort it out because the co-co has not received payment for these licences from An Post.
    What a joke !

Also the coco official I spoke to said that it does not matter where the licence is bought as long as the name and address on the licence is where the dog is kept.

Advertisement