Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog licence

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sadhbhsdad wrote: »
    Coco said get back in touch with An Post and tell them that they must sort it out because the co-co has not received payment for these licences from An Post.
    Typical jobsworth nonsense. It's not your problem if the CoCo haven't received payment from An Post. An Post issue the licences under licence (heh) from the CoCo and once you have it in your hand, you are legally licenced.

Annoying that you'd have to chase it up yourself to get a refund, but I know I'd just forget about it for the sake of €13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The fine is only €30. Enforcement varies hugely from area to area.

In 2009:

213,000 licenses issued

2473 on the spot fines issued
    1255 fines paid
    294 prosecutions
    82 convictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

On 1/2/11 I went out and got a dog licence. I usually renew in October and thought I had gone 4 months without a licence. Over the weekend I found that I had renewed in October so now I have 2 licences for the same dog. Called An Post looking for a refund and they say they are only an agent and told me to call my County Council.
    Called co-co today looking for the refund from them and it turns out that neither licence is regestered with them so my dog has no licence.
    Coco said get back in touch with An Post and tell them that they must sort it out because the co-co has not received payment for these licences from An Post.
    What a joke !

Also the coco official I spoke to said that it does not matter where the licence is bought as long as the name and address on the licence is where the dog is kept.

No offence meant but the biggest joke is paying for the license in the first place.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

For the sake of 12.70 a year I dont have a prob paying it,its peace of mind if something where ever to happen?Also if your dog were to end up in a pound it would be easier to have it.My bro in law had a dog who ended up in the pound a big row with them etc etc,he had to back date the licience so for the sake of the 12.70? also if the money funds the pounds etc for food for the dogs etc I certainly dont have a prob paying it.I got a reminder in last year for a dog I had as a child :) he is dead 15 years now?I rang them and said my dog died? My mam actually rang them when Max died and told them hehehe.I also got a reminder before for a black and white ckc??Ive never had one hahahaha.Either a serious mistake or someone taking the p*ss:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Wish they would throw up a few dogs parks with the money, then I wouldnt have as much of a problem paying for them.
    It would cost feck all, as its just a fenced off area, covered with sand and a few benches and dustbins, councils have plenty of land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 sadhbhsdad

Galway K9 wrote: »
    No offence meant but the biggest joke is paying for the license in the first place.:D

Yeah,
    Think your right about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sadhbhsdad

seamus wrote: »
    Typical jobsworth nonsense. It's not your problem if the CoCo haven't received payment from An Post. An Post issue the licences under licence (heh) from the CoCo and once you have it in your hand, you are legally licenced.

Annoying that you'd have to chase it up yourself to get a refund, but I know I'd just forget about it for the sake of €13.

Seamus,
    Thats only €13 of my money, but I'm sure there are others in the same boat every year. All this adds up. Are the government not taking enough of our money as it isn ??????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are the government not taking enough of our money as it is
    That's a topic for a different forum ;)

I understand the principle of the thing and for some people €13 might represent two days worth of lunches and dinners that they can't afford to lose, but it's not something I personally would see fit to go on a crusade for.

I can honestly see you being constantly bumped from Billy to Jack on this issue with neither organisation claiming responsibility. By the time you're done €13 will feel like scant reward for the amount of effort you've put in - but if you feel strongly enough about it you will probably feel that it's worth it for the moral victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I don't buy it cos I don't want to get into the system. A fuddy-duddy old neighbour of mine forgot to renew hers once, and the dog warden visited her house. She was so horrified that all her neighbours would see his van and think her dogs had misbehaved. That's what you get for being responsible, he called to her house but ignored all the dogs out on the street alone.
    Don't want any money of mine going to the pound anway, would rather donate it to a rescue.

The license fee doesn't all go to fund the Pounds & Wardens. For example my LA reduced it's wardens from three to one even though the license income didn't reduce.

I would willingly pay €100 per year per dog if all of the fee went towards dog welfare & as a consequence, there were no strays.

The Dog Breeding Bill has an amendment to increase the license fees. The Greens refused to make rescues exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Discodog wrote: »
    The license fee doesn't all go to fund the Pounds & Wardens. For example my LA reduced it's wardens from three to one even though the license income didn't reduce.

I would willingly pay €100 per year per dog if all of the fee went towards dog welfare & as a consequence, there were no strays.

The Dog Breeding Bill has an amendment to increase the license fees. The Greens refused to make rescues exempt.

Excellent point!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Bring in cat licences & tags I say :p!

Roaming cats are as bad as roaming dogs so fair is fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Discodog wrote: »

Many simply could not afford that so it would have a knock on effect on rescues.

We live in a very rural area and our dogs never leave the property and are confined safely here; we run them in the fields with our landlord's permission. We have been told that in these circumstances we need no licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Graces7 wrote: »
    Many simply could not afford that so it would have a knock on effect on rescues.

We live in a very rural area and our dogs never leave the property and are confined safely here; we run them in the fields with our landlord's permission. We have been told that in these circumstances we need no licence.

I don't know who it was that told you that, but they are wrong. The licence does not specify anything like that at all. So if your dogs were sick, you woudn't take them to the vet? Because if you did, they would be leaving your property. You moved from one end of the country to the other last year didn't you? How did you manage to transport the dogs?

Anyway, thats a moot point, if you own a dog, you have to have a licence, no matter where it does or doesn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

to be honest it drives me bananas when I hear some people saying they dont get a licence. like those dodging the tv licence i think there should be heavy consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

For the sake of €12.70 each dog I get the licence just for peace of mind. Have to buy Ozzies today actually, its a year since we got him :D

ppink wrote: »
    to be honest it drives me bananas when I hear some people saying they dont get a licence. like those dodging the tv licence i think there should be heavy consequences.

A lot of people object that, they are targeted as responsible owners, to pay for the irresponsibility of others. The Dog license is just another local tax that has nothing really to do with dogs.

In my ideal world the Licensing & Pounds would be run by someone who could be trusted like the Dogs Trust. People just do not respect the Council.

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't know who it was that told you that, but they are wrong. The licence does not specify anything like that at all. So if your dogs were sick, you woudn't take them to the vet? Because if you did, they would be leaving your property. You moved from one end of the country to the other last year didn't you? How did you manage to transport the dogs?

Anyway, thats a moot point, if you own a dog, you have to have a licence, no matter where it does or doesn't go.

The aggressive tone of your mail is uncalled for. As was your last response to one of my mails. I feel no obligation to respond to this tone.

Our legal adviser says differently and I trust him - period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The aggressive tone of your mail is uncalled for. As was your last response to one of my mails. I feel no obligation to respond to this tone.

Oh you do keep me entertained. You're very good at never answering questions that may possibly show you in your true colours aren't you.

Aggressive? Pot, kettle, black? No, you never did answer how you cut and pasted an answer from somebody else and passed it off as your own did you:rolleyes:

Its a legal adviser now, you paid someone to tell you that you don't need a licence, when buying the licence would cost you €12.70? Its those kind of economics that have got this country in the state its in.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How was her reponse aggressive? She was merely stating facts.

The law states you have to have a licence for your dog, end of. Theres no interpretating the law the way you want to because you say your dogs are not out in public.
    The law does not differentiate between dogs that are on public/private property. Its one law that affects all dog owners, same with a tv licence, if you own a tv you have to have a licence.

Your legal advisor is advising you break the law, so i would advise you look elsewhere for your legal enquiries if thats the case.

• Advertisement

Snipped.Insinuating someone isnt of sound mind or body and should be taking meds is way over the mark.

ppink wrote: »

This is not a valid parallel as you buy a TV licence to watch TV.

Incidentally we get a free TV licence sent each year and we have no TV.

Just to clarify:

“A licence shall not be required in respect of any dog-

whilst such dog is in the possession of the local authority;
    whilst such dog is in the possession of the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or any other person with whom a local authority has entered into an arrangement pursuant to section 15 of the Act;
    which is kept by the Garda Siochana and wholly used by a member of the Garda Siochana in the execution of his duty;
    which is kept and wholly or mainly used for the purpose of guidance by a blind person whose eyesight is so defective that he is unable to find his way about without guidance;
    which is under the age of four months and is kept with its dam or foster-mother;
    whilst such dog is in the possession of the inspector (within the meaning of the Disease of Animals Act, 1966) or other officer of the Minister for Agriculture, or a member of the Garda Siochana, for the purposes of the Act;
    which is imported into the State for a period not exceeding thirty days;
    which is a greyhound and is purchased for export and which is exported from the State within thirty days after the date of purchase;
    which is kept by such other class of person as may be prescribed by the Minister."

So the law makes no mention of private land or legal advisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you going to answer/respond to peoples queries or just ignore them as you know they are right.

You seem to have a major problem with being proven wrong and being corrected on information you post that is incorrect.

There is no exemption for you for your dog licence because you say you dont walk them in public.
    It amazes me why you think you can make up your own rules just because:rolleyes:
    Again as ISDW, you never actually respond to peoples replies/questions when they post them.
    You seem to be just going along living life in some weird bubble where you have you own laws/rules you think apply to you.

You buy a dog licence to OWN a dog and you own a dog, why would you think you dont have to buy one??:confused:

Im guessing ill be on your ignore list next.... You like to ignore the people who question you and correct you when you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

This is not a valid parallel as you buy a TV licence to watch TV.

Incidentally we get a free TV licence sent each year and we have no TV.

huh:confused: you lost me there Graces. Surely you buy a dog licence in order to have a dog, well most folks do.
    Anyway can you quote me this law that says I dont need one as mine are like yours and rarely go out these days?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Graces7--Ive removed your last post.That was overstepping the mark.

Consider this a warning.

Advertisement