Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with 5.1 Surround Sound!

Options
  • 12-01-2011 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Need help with my surround sound. only the center speaker and sub woofer are working. plus my xbox/tv has no sound coming to it!

sorry if i posted in the wrong place iv been two days doing it!.

Old thread describing what i have.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056110104

I have the optical cable and the surround sound card is installed fine. just no sound to other speakers an no sound at all from the xbox or tv.

Please help. im pullin my hair out over this. :(:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

**Update*

I have the 5.1 Aureon Terratec Surround sound card installed working correctly.

I have the Xbox connected to LG LCD TV by HDMI or Component. (I've tried both).

I have the Optical cable tried from the TV and Xbox to the Surround Card in the comp. Nothing coming out.

Sound comes out from the computer when i play music no problem but i cant seem to get any sound or movie to play surround sound??!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

First step: is everything hooked up correctly?

aureonIO.jpg

TV plug should be connected to 2 (not 1!), XBox TOSLink cable to 6 (not 7!), green speaker plug should be in 3, blue should be in 4 and yellow in 5.

After that its all about the software configuration (and possibly that of the XBox as well, it might not be set to send audio via TOSLink!).

Make sure the Aureon is the default audio output device in Sound Properties > Audio > Sound Playback!

Also make sure in the Aureon's software that its set to 5.1 sound!

The wires are in correctly. For definite! The xbox is hooked up and the optical cable is from tv to pc.

This is a screenshot of the software that came with the card.

picture.php?albumid=1487&pictureid=8432

The center works fine. But when i test the front and rear speakers both come out through the front ones?

"TV plug should be connected to 2 (not 1!)" TV plug meaning 3.5mm from headphone jack?

Been messing with the software and settings and nothing stops the sound from onli coming out the front speakers??

Did you set the output to 5.1 as well as the input in that control panel?

And I was talking about the 3.5mm plug that connects the TV line-out to the card's line-in.

This may sound silly, but... are you sure the speaker cables are firmly plugged in at the back of the amp/sub in the correct order?

• Advertisement

The surround sound is working perfect for my computer now! Thanks!

There is sound coming out for the xbox but it is waaay quieter and also not in surround.

The xbox is hooked up using component cable(green,blue,red/ red,white) to tv.
    The optical cable is going from that cable at the back of the xbox to the digital input in the card.

and the 3.5mm is going from the tv headphone to the analogue in,(number 2 on card).

Make sure the TOSLink cable is fully inserted at both ends and that there are no sharp bends or kinks in the cable as those can significantly reduce volume. Also remember to turn the XBox volume up at one or both ends ;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    Also remember to turn the XBox volume up at one or both ends ;)

Cool. What exactly does the Optical cable do if the sound is coming from the 3.5 jack on the TV??

Thanks alot man. Ur a rock!

That way the sound is coming directly from the XBox - and in 5.1 AFAIK, not stereo ;) IIRC you have to change the XBox's settings to get it to run in 5.1 sound mode let alone at a decent volume. You may also have to change a setting in the sound card's control panel for it to work right.

The connection from the TV to the card is for the TV's sound as you wanted, not the XBox.

All Cleared up!

Thanks alot. I really appreciate the help you gave me!

:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement