Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should gambling be made illegal?

• 12-01-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

So I don't gamble, never liked to. But a family member, and a couple of people I know, have been ruined by "the bookies".

Now I'm as libertarian as the next fellow, but I believe also that gambling is a real scourge on people, and that unlike alcohol or drug addictions, you don't reach a stage where your body can't take any more gambling.

Bookies like Paddy Power, Ladbrokes, Boyle Sports and all those online poker playing places...they feed an addiction in a lot of people in this country. While not every gambler is an addict, it's obvious that a lot of lives have been ruined through addiction to the "flutter".

What are your thoughts? Personally, I think gambling gets off very lightly in comparison with "the demon drink" and Joe Duffy's diatribes on drugs.

Would love to hear your thoughts! First attempt at a poll, so bear with me on it.

Should gambling be made illegal? 54 votes

Yes, it creates no value and gives rise to addiction
    0% 0 votes
    No, it's a free world and people should be able to do what they want
    9% 5 votes
    I have no opinion
    87% 47 votes
    Ubiquitous Atari Jaguar nonsense
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

markesmith wrote: »
    First attempt at a poll, so bear with me on it.

I bet you a tenner you fuck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think it's proof of survival of the fittest, so... meh let it ride :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

People should be allowed to do what they want with their own money.
    If i want to blow my cash on granny hookers and 2ltr tubs of lube, then i should be (and am) allowed to. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Should it fook be made illegal :rolleyes:

If people don't have the willpower to bet what they can that's their tough titty!

Do you want Bingo, Lotto, Scratchcards, raffles etc banned too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Fcuk it, let's ban going outside, people get hurt outside. From 1939-1945 over 20 million people died outside in Europe alone.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    People should be allowed to do what they want with their own money.
    If i want to blow my cash on granny hookers and 2ltr tubs of lube, then i should be (and am) allowed to. :cool:

You'd get on well with Wayne Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Did you know that some of the online gambling sites employ up to 600 people in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

People with a gambling problem will find some way to throw away their money whether it's legal or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

You'd get on well with Wayne Rooney.
    Jeez, i do have standards. A gang bang with an 84 year old gilf an wayne rooney is not my idea of fun...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

markesmith wrote: »
    But a family member, and a couple of people I know, have been ruined by "the bookies".QUOTE]

as someone who works for a bookies i can tell you now its the person that ruins themselves,we dont tell them to keep gambling its not us who ring up and go ok a tenner no? try a fiver.The company i work for have a system for gamblers who think they are problematic we close the account end of and security are given details incase someone of the same name or address tries to open up another account.I would like to ask you would you be happy with thousands losing jobs just so a busy body like you can feel happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Banning Gambling is only Another way for criminals to make money.......could hear the sigh of relief from parents and gangsters alike when head shops were banned.:eek:

More people died from alcohol poisoning during prohibition than when legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ban it and a black market appears that pays no tax and breaks legs, only a fking idiot would propose banning it.

RichieC wrote: »
    Ban it and a black market appears that pays no tax and breaks legs, only a fking idiot would propose banning it.

Enda Kenny will probably propose it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no, i like gambling but i know when and when not to. people need to be let make their own minds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Why is Gambling a problem?
    It's fine once you control yourself as with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

They say gambling is one of the recession proof industries.......

Anyway on topic - t'is their choice! One of my mates is addicted to betting on the horse and it all started with a 'flutter'...it can spiral out of control very quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Alcohol is a far bigger problem than drugs or gambling in this country.
    Banning any of them isn't the way forward, it is retarded.

They say gambling is one of the recession proof industries.......

Tell that to Ivan Yates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

How dare you say Atari Jaguar is nonsense!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

It creates employment and enjoyment to huge amounts of people. Not everyone is a degenerate gambler, going around banning anything that can be abused in excessive amounts it not a realistic solution to problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

I think the key to not getting addicted to gambling is to only bet what you can afford to lose. If you find yourself with 30 quid spending money after all other commitments for the week have been met, including a decent amount of groceries, every so often you could decide to throw a 5 or 10 on, perhaps on a big racing weekend or big premier league match.

Unless you have a proven edge against the bookies at a particular sport(s), have very good bankroll management, staking system, search for the best available price, are able to avoid chasing after losses etc. (basically keep an edge against the bookies in the long term) then you will lose in the long term, and for some this will keep them hooked as they try in vain to recoup what they've lost. Basically, if you're not in the top 2% or whatever of gamblers who win in the long-run, you shouldn't be relying on gambling wins to get you by!

Also, scratchcards are a scam...never do them.

Advertisement