Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

planning /construction drawings

• 12-01-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

can someone please clear up a query for me -- do we need two sets of drawings from our architect? - 1 for planning and 2nd set of "construction drawings" --?? i had never heard of construction drawings before --how much can i expect to pay --opinions valued

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

This is a how long is a piece of string question? What are you building and where, how are you building it, direct labour or contractor ? How well detailed are your planning drawings??

In the West where I am based most houses are built from planning drawings with no special construction drawings, a full set of construction drawings takes a lot of time to produce properly, are generally for tendering when using one contractor, not when going direct and are usually done for government work or high end commercial / industrial work only. In other parts of the county particurarly around Dublin, construction drawings are more generally done for domestic jobs but they would normally only be more detailed plans sections & elevations and perhaps some tricky details if any and are sent out as part of the tender package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No6 wrote: »
    In other parts of the county particurarly around Dublin, construction drawings are more generally done for domestic jobs but they would normally only be more detailed plans sections & elevations and perhaps some tricky details if any and are sent out as part of the tender package.
    This is my exp of construction drawings in general.
    A detail set of plans and sections.
    And any details either as required, or at tender (if they are most likely going to be required)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I generally tender and build from construction drawings but may have to put in a PC sum fro Electrics and plumbing if these items have not been specified.

By that I mean I would be pricing for one ceiling light fitting in each room and a few sockets in each room. The exact location can be agreed later. But the client may have presumed I was pricing for recessed downlights all over the place. This needs to be clarified at some stage preferably before contract agreed.

Also, if plumbing and heating is not specified then I would allow for condensing boiler and rads. But client may want more complex, efficient system so this should be agreed.

Details of how to build standard items are rarely necessary unless you are going for a more modern, high spec. construction method ie. block on flat with external insulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Up to recently you could get away with building a bog standard bungalow off the planning drawings. However even the most basic set of plans by the local plans man or Architect should have a fairly comprehensive set of details when it comes to tender or construction stage. The obvious thing is that you cant get a fixed price if you dont know whats in your building.

With our enhanced minimum regulations, higher expectations of indoor comfort and desire to minimise heating costs, the 'homebond details are obsolete. So detailed Sections are needed. An Architect need only do these details once, as most details can be repeated on other builds. These details will of course need to be changed in July when all new house must be A rated.

Construction details are needed on site as it means everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet, rather than winging it. As I've seen in many brand new houses this winter, short cut on this and you'll be calling me in with my thermal imaging camera asking, why do I need to fill the oil tank every 2 months/ Heat pump costs thousands to run, why are the rooms in the roof impossible to heat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Willard01

In construction related matters it is essential to give importance to each and every aspect. It is also necessary to concentrate on environmental planning. For all your problems it is better to search in the internet and find people who have a good knowledge in construction and environmental planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Willard01 wrote: »
    For all your problems it is better to search in the internet and find people who have a good knowledge in construction and environmental planning.
    Indeed. He did that and ended up here, thank you very much :)

Or would you have somewhere else in mind that he should visit?

Advertisement