Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The significance of March in the letters...

• 12-01-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Guys,

Came across this on the BBC website...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12171098

'The Patten redundancy scheme for police officers, which will come to an end in 10 weeks time, has cost almost £500m, the BBC can reveal...
    During the past 10 years, more than 4,000 regular officers have taken voluntary redundancy, while almost 1,000 members of the full-time reserve left under a compulsory severance scheme... another 160 regular officers and nearly 270 members of the full-time reserve are due to receive Patten payments... If they decide to stay in their jobs beyond the end of March, they will lose those payments.'

To me that sounds like they are waiting til March to see how many officers take Patten and how many new recruits are needed??? :-D

Fingers crossed...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

There's no doubt that March is a big month in terms of future recruitment.

As the pension, 50/50 and budget decisions will all have their bearings on the process.

Nothing we can do but sit back and wait - something we are all getting good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I see that the Deputy Chief Constable is in line for a payout of £ 500,000 should she chose to avail of the severance scheme - serious money that anyone would have to carefully consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I don't think seriously consideration is really necessary - why would they stay in, not going to be Cheif con, probably not that long left anyway.

I'd grab the oney with both hands and run.

Then I'd probably get a cushy civvi job working for psni like so many others who left with a patten lump sum.

wanadrum wrote: »
    I don't think seriously consideration is really necessary - why would they stay in, not going to be Cheif con, probably not that long left anyway.

I'd grab the oney with both hands and run.

Then I'd probably get a cushy civvi job working for psni like so many others who left with a patten lump sum.

Although the pension pay outs seem on the large side, when you compare them to other pay outs e.g. bankers & head of NI water, they are inline with what they deserve.

Didnt see too many bankers putting their lives and family lives at risk for decades to help our communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

I agree, and lets face it - it wasn't their choice to reform the RUC.

I think the pay out had to be generous.

Interesting that the most feirce supporters of Patten being implemented and implemented quickly are the ones who are now saying they got paid too much......

• Advertisement

We will probably get told off for discussing this topic here :D, so the last thing I will say is - no one will agree 100% with the patten reforms, but everbody wanting to join the PSNI will have to accept them.

Look on the bright side, if the payment were'nt given, a lot of us would find it even harder to get into our dream jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ant08

hi guys, i dont know if anyone else has heard anything but iv heard from two or three people that the psni a recruiting again this year?? has anyone else heard this??

ant08 wrote: »
    hi guys, i dont know if anyone else has heard anything but iv heard from two or three people that the psni a recruiting again this year?? has anyone else heard this??

I wish they would just use up more of their current merit list, before starting another campaign. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

Gee-22 wrote: »
    I wish they would just use up more of their current merit list, before starting another campaign. :pac:

if they are are we allowed to apply again?????
    my merit score poor so that would improve

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

wannabecop wrote: »
    if they are are we allowed to apply again?????
    my merit score poor so that would improve

IF they do another recuitment campaign, and I do reckon that its a pretty big if with the way things are at the moment, then yes you may apply even if you are still waiting on a conclusion to C16. Many people will apply again to improve merit numbers or incase they dont get in from the current campaign etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

ant08 wrote: »

I've heard this too, it was even put to me as strongly as, "recruitment is DEFFINATELY going ahead this year". Then again i've heard stories saying there's no recruitment for 4 years :eek:.
    So I honestly think the only way we'll truly know if recruitment will take place this year is if it is officially stated by the PSNI.
    Other than that I'd say to everyone to treat any stories they hear as pure speculation as it will save any disappointment. But look on the bright side, if one of the stories turn out to be true its all the more satisfying :pac:

dixie33 wrote: »
    I've heard this too, it was even put to me as strongly as, "recruitment is DEFFINATELY going ahead this year". Then again i've heard stories saying there's no recruitment for 4 years :eek:.
    So I honestly think the only way we'll truly know if recruitment will take place this year is if it is officially stated by the PSNI.
    Other than that I'd say to everyone to treat any stories they hear as pure speculation as it will save any disappointment. But look on the bright side, if one of the stories turn out to be true its all the more satisfying :pac:

Will there - wont there..... either way I dont think we will hear until after March.

I have gathered up the start dates of the last 4 campaigns:

C13 - 28/06/07
    C14 -06/03/08
    C15 - 05/03/09
    C16 -14/01/10

*Thats the dates I could find. Someone may correct me.

I would say we could be near the date of C13, if there is a new campaign this year (C17).

...... would I be right in saying that there are never any intakes in June & July, as staff take their summer holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭TangoVictor

Gee-22 wrote: »
    ...... would I be right in saying that there are never any intakes in June & July, as staff take their summer holidays?

There were both June & July intakes in 2009 as far as I can recall.

- tv

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

Have to say I agree with Gee and doubt there will be anything about a new campaign before March time. Even then it is doubtful, though we can all still hope! I can see me checking the join psni website a few times a week now though just in case these rumours are indeed true...

As for intakes, I think I remember reading that there is normally one month in the summer that is intake free, but its either july or august. Could be wrong, PSNI might be able to confirm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

This was the case when there were intakes on a regular basis, and I obviously don't want to give out specifics, but they used to skip one intake per summer so that the trainers could take annual leave.
    fefe5 wrote: »
    As for intakes, I think I remember reading that there is normally one month in the summer that is intake free, but its either july or august. Could be wrong, PSNI might be able to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SJAG

If there is to be further recruitment, will it not follow the route of 'merit places for appointments' rather than 50:50? legislation ends march, and on that note i will post on the 'rumour mill' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭thebakerboy

Think someone mentioned in a post that 50:50 would apply to any campaign started under 50:50. So if new recruitment was started with no 50:50 it conceivable that it would be on a merit basis. Unfortunately that won't help anyone in C16 if the poster was correct with regards 50:50.

Advertisement