Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Japanese Restaurant?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

The mother heard on Keith Finnegan today that there is a new Japanese restaurant open on Mill St? I tried Googling it but nothings coming up.

Anybody heard anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

No, but if it has a full sushi license I may weep for joy! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

+1 to that....

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Mmmm wonder if perhaps Keith may have said/meant Middle St and the lovely Kappa Ya..

Alas lovely though it is, not proper full monty sushi.

Kappa Ya isn't new either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

inisboffin wrote: »

Do you need a licence to sell sushi ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Kerist, I'd kill for some sushi around galway

Lapin wrote: »
    Do you need a licence to sell sushi ?

Have a look at this thread - hmm, but I am the one who mentioned it there too!

Yes, I am fairly sure there is some sort of difference in license for raw fish, but the google has escaped me, and I am not sufficiently caffinated to do more searching.

There's a few 'sushi' threads, a few of us are a bit obsessed I think!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Have a look at this thread - hmm, but I am the one who mentioned it there too!

Yes, I am fairly sure there is some sort of difference in license for raw fish, but the google has escaped me, and I am not sufficiently caffinated to do more searching.

There's a few 'sushi' threads, a few of us are a bit obsessed I think!:p

Sushi is not raw fish.

You mean sashimi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You don't need a licence to sell raw fish products in Ireland.
    You just have to use really good quality fish.
    Also, AFAIK you have to freeze it for 24 hours to kill any possible parasites (which also makes slicing for sashimi a lot easier).
    Besides that you just have to comply to normal EH policies.

Yes I know :) I even pointed to a similar link in another thread, but for the purposes of most of the discussions on here, people were using 'sushi' to refer to sashimi and nigiri etc that were raw fish. I just didn't want to keep typing raw fish sushi. I like the rice and the nori, so I would eat more nigiri or rolls than straight sashimi.

Most of the sit down places that sell 'sushi' in Galway do not sell sashimi or have the usual menu that you would find in a 'sushi' restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There isn't a market for sashimi, there's about eight people on here who always say they'd love it but it wouldn't be popular.

Seaneh wrote: »
    You don't need a licence to sell raw fish products in Ireland.
    You just have to use really good quality fish.
    Also, AFAIK you have to freeze it for 24 hours to kill any possible parasites (which also makes slicing for sashimi a lot easier).
    Besides that you just have to comply to normal EH policies.

Ok. The info I had came directly from a cafe owner when I enquired as to why they didn't have sushi containing *raw fish*.

I also asked a cafe in Dublin would they consider a branch here (half joking half serious) and mentioned that while good, the cafes here had limited selection. The sushi chef there too said 'oh they must only have the limited license' so I don't know??

All I want is a good sashimi and sushi selection in a sit down place :)

There isn't a market for sashimi, there's about eight people on here who always say they'd love it but it wouldn't be popular.

My friends aren't all boardsies and at least a third eat *raw fish* sushi, so I dunno. Even a small selection to start somewhere would maybe work.

Dubliners wouldn't traditionally be thought to be big sushi fans but they eat a lot now!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

If those 8 eat three meals a day there every day and they charge enough it COULD be viable....brb, looking to rent place in town...

rivalius13 wrote: »
    If those 8 eat three meals a day there every day and they charge enough it COULD be viable....brb, looking to rent place in town...

Ha ha! Have only eaten rf sushi for breakfast a couple of times, but that could change.

If only there were more people who were not on boards.ie who ate sushi...:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I think there might be a market for it. A small operation that also did proper hot Japanese dishes as well would work I think.

So does anyone have any more info on whether a place is opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

there's not too many premises on mill street so I can't imagine where they'd be opening

I'll be in that area in the morning so I'll keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

I make my own sushi. Simple. Takes as much time as a Sunday roast. So,be different and give it a shot yourself.
    If there's enough interest,I dont mind giving a demo+tips etc. Just need a venue.

I have simple fillings like smoked eel/mackerel/salmon, tamago, teriyaki chicken & ebifu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If only there were more people who were not on boards.ie who ate sushi...:rolleyes::p

You're right galway is just full or resturants selling sashimi... :rolleyes:

You're right galway is just full or resturants selling sashimi... :rolleyes:

You are suggesting that everything that people want is here. I get your logic but disagree. I was making the point that the number of people on boards is not necessarily an indicator of overall demand, but it could be :D

Remember when bottled water was suggested and nobody thought Irish people would buy it? ;)

Don't hate the sushi (raw fish sushi) brianthebard. We will ask 'em to do tempura, soba etc too!:P

• Advertisement

I make my own sushi. Simple. Takes as much time as a Sunday roast. So,be different and give it a shot yourself.
    If there's enough interest,I dont mind giving a demo+tips etc. Just need a venue.

I have simple fillings like smoked eel/mackerel/salmon, tamago, teriyaki chicken & ebifu

Good for you! I've gone to sushi making parties abroad and had great craic. It is fun to do in a crowd but labour intensive enough if you have a variety and not a lot of people. That's why it's a lovely treat to sit down and have it. I actually think good sushi making is quite the art.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Alas lovely though it is, not proper full monty sushi.

Kappa Ya isn't new either.

I know probably more of a reflection of my opinion of Mr. Finneagan. Kappa Ya is there some time isn't it but I know it was touted as being one of the best restaurants in Galway recently by someone of note - can't remember who mind you - so I suspect that's where the confusion is. There aren't any premises in Mill St. area that would be suitable as far as I know, though welcome clearly it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This new joint cannot be located. Our finest scouts have searched the Mill St area and surrounding Latin *ahem* quarter and failed to track down any trace of Nipponese fishy-noodley goodness. Well? Anybody?

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

This new joint cannot be located. Our finest scouts have searched the Mill St area and surrounding Latin *ahem* quarter and failed to track down any trace of Nipponese fishy-noodley goodness. Well? Anybody?

'cptr

Many bothan spies died to bring us this information....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

What we need is a Teriyaki Steak house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Many bothan spies died to bring us this information....

When I read this to them, three of my ninjas threw their eyes up to heaven so hard that I actually heard their necks click. Very unusual.

'c

Advertisement