Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of Roads and Footpaths

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Well now the Snow and Ice have vanished from our roads it amazing to look at the damage that has been done with some very dangerous potholes along our roads.

I was just wondering today, where is the money going to come from to repair these potholes? Are we going to be hit with another levy? An increase in car tax? Saw 2 cars hit a pothole on Whitestown Rd and both got punctures not mention the possibility of damage to steering and wheel rims.

The other thing that struck me is the filth of the paths. Obviously when the roads were being gritted some grit went onto paths and little or nothing has been done to clean it up. Now when it rains its like walking in sticky slime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Yeah. Try cycling on them. A horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

was wondering this myself. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Everyone should report any such damage here: http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/ContactUs/ . Historically I have only gotten action after I spoke with someone (or spoke with someone for a 2nd time), a voicemail never seemed to go anywhere.

It will also be interesting to see how the council deals with claims from the damage caused to vehicles as a result. There is some information on http://www.potholes.ie/ however it indicates there is no clear process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

The pothole outside the HSE clinic in Lusk is now more akin to that of a crater. Its at the very least 3 feet in length and a foot and a half wide. Theyve filled it in 3 times now, but unless they fix the burst pipe under it.. it will never be in good shape again.
    The sides of the crater are also falling in so its only going to get bigger and deeper.

The grit on the paths that youre referring to wasnt an accident, it was spread by the council as a (very poor) way of combatting the ice and snow.
    Iv seen the mini street sweepers out in Swords trying to clean up this mess, doubt we'll be seeing this happen in Rush or Balbriggan where its really needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The grit on the paths that youre referring to wasnt an accident, it was spread by the council as a (very poor) way of combatting the ice and snow.
    Iv seen the mini street sweepers out in Swords trying to clean up this mess, doubt we'll be seeing this happen in Rush or Balbriggan where its really needed.

There is an invention called a brush that I heard works well. People just have to take responsibility for clearing the footpath outside their property but I doubt that will happen.

Either the council will get there with the streetsweep and the man with the brush(I haven't seen one of them for ages) or the wind and rain will sort it. My bet is on Mother Nature.

Some pothole filling ideas

Chicago Tribune 2010
    A few unconventional ways to fill potholes:

•A band of Canadian residents in the Leader, Saskatchewan, area protested a pockmarked strip of highway by posing nude inside some of the worst potholes and featuring the images in a 2007 calendar. The provincial government ultimately agreed to fix the crumbling roadway. And the calendar sold 3,000 copies at $20 each, according to the Canadian Press.

•A New York highway supervisor who filled potholes for a living began photographing them as art in the early 1990s. One example: A black-and-white print of a pothole filled with lettuce and serving utensils — with pepper, oil and vinegar beside it on the roadway — was featured in his 1993 show at a SoHo gallery, the Associated Press reported

•About 50 fed-up neighbors on the West Side of Chicago grabbed shovels, purchased sacks of asphalt and paved potholes near their homes as a protest of poor street conditions in summer 1979. They sent a bill to then-Mayor Jane Byrne.

•The fast-food chain KFC last year spent thousands of dollars to help fix potholes in Kansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Ohio. In exchange, more than 1,500 patched potholes were marked "Re-Freshed by KFC" in temporary chalk, according to the Associated Press.

• Advertisement

Corsendonk wrote: »
    There is an invention called a brush that I heard works well. People just have to take responsibility for clearing the footpath outside their property but I doubt that will happen.

If you wanna find the person that calls the paths outside the schools and churches their private property, then hand them a brush, be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You could always volunteer. ;)

If you wanna find the person that calls the paths outside the schools and churches their private property, then hand them a brush, be my guest.

Schools have caretakers and churches have volunteers so they should be most able. By the way I wasn't asking everyone to suddenly claim the footpath outside their property as their own property as you seem to be implying, just asking people to be good citizens. But of course you may have a reaction to doing something for nothing.

Meh, the footpath outside my house and driveway were kept clear when the ice and snow were here and I commended anyone I met while out that was clearing their own paths.

Meh, the footpath outside my house and driveway were kept clear when the ice and snow were here and I commended anyone I met while out that was clearing their own paths.

I hope you commended Mother TangyZizzle for keeping the footpath and driveway clear during the snow.:D

• Advertisement

Mother Zizzle had her disability to worry about, Father Zizzle threw a shovel at me and told me to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And now we'll get back on topic. :)

HB

Roads are crap, get em sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »

Either the council will get there with the streetsweep and the man with the brush(I haven't seen one of them for ages) or the wind and rain will sort it. My bet is on Mother Nature.

Some pothole filling ideas

Chicago Tribune 2010

A few good fundraising ideas there for the G.A.A club:) A calendar with a few of our female members!! I have a camera but could do with an assistant. All application cost €10 (Admin fee)

Seriously I have a feeling it will be mother Nature. But also agree it could be one for the tidy towns especially from Dempseys corner to the square, the square is the triangle at health centre:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Although it's a general election and not a local election, there is still an election coming up shortly. Point out the pothole issue and there is a good chance you will be listened to :)

EF wrote: »
    Although it's a general election and not a local election, there is still an election coming up shortly. Point out the pothole issue and there is a good chance you will be listened to :)

We are always listened to and thats the problem. Seldom is much done. Now with cutbacks everywhere I wonder how Fingal are goint to tackle this or how will they priortise which needs to be done first.

I am going to try and get as many photographed as possible over the next few days, potholes and speed cushions/ramps. Our main street is disgraceful, there are potholes on the Park Rd which are lethal and some kid or adult is going to get hurt on the bike. But it seems every road now has a at least 1 fairly big pothole and shovels of tar pressed down with the back wheel of the lorry will not be enough to make driving or walking safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Bombard them with photos and emails.And if you have ANY accident involving a pothole, the first thing you do is photograph the pothole, then your car, and send it to FF.
    They've made a few pathetic efforts to fill holes, but their efforts aren't good enough.They're just patchwork, which break up easily. The job has to be done properly.Repeatedly emphasise that to them, that's the patching up isn't good enough and it'll save them money and manhours (more money) in the longterm if they just do the job properly.
    And as for the ramps in Rush......:eek:.A total disgrace.
    I just love the way the public have to tell them how to do their job.:rolleyes:

Serious disruption in Rush now with EirGrid working on Upper Main St. Fingal were also doing some kind of water survey on Lr. Main St.

Great to see our paths were finally cleaned the other day. Went for a Walk on Wednesday night and I should have worn rubber boots such was the dirt of the paths. I was going to email F.C.C about it but there the next morning were an army of F.C.C. workers sweeping the paths.

Well done.

This is the speed cushion just outside Dr. Murray's surgery on Main St. Others are as bad if not worse

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]5406013738_d8315a6e7d.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Advertisement