Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh c'mon catch a grip boards Mods,admins,office staff etc

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Stop using the thank You button as a bullying instrument.
    There is a widely perceived notion that Mods,hmods,Cmods,and admins 'Gang up' on a member via the thank you button, i have also seen Devore,Dav & Darragh do the same.

I admit i have problems with the thank You button in that it is so limited in its scope,I dont like to refuse a thank You to a post that 99.9% i agree with because one sentence goes against Me.

I like the thank You button so i can say, thank You for making sense,for making me laugh,for teaching Me something i did not know..........etc

Thank You or not thank You is just too narrow IMO.

Honestly if a person accepts the roles of mod/admin the thank You( or taking sides publicly as i would see it) button should be disallowed.
    I appreciate that Mods need support and guidance also but so long as they use the thank you button to backslap nobody will have faith in dispute resolution.

It may be gone but it is not forgotten,the way Demonspawn was treated after admitting to mental illness was simply wrong, the thread was allowed to run way too long and the admin who was too cowardly to admit it was him/her that kept changing his(Demonspawns) avator should have been sacked.

Boards cannot defend itself on posts here or on blogs so long as this type of behaviour by those who wish to be in charge in banning etc always get the job, i would love to understand the psycology of those who wish to be in charge(for free) i would ask in the psycology forum only there is Mods who work for free{Ahemmm} there also
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Thank you for your Feedback.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I also would like to thank you for your feedback, but I'm afraid of using the thanks button in case you might think that I'm ganging up on you. I don't suppose you'd care to tell us why you've registered a new account to post all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Zaph wrote: »
    I also would like to thank you for your feedback, but I'm afraid of using the thanks button in case you might think that I'm ganging up on you. I don't suppose you'd care to tell us why you've registered a new account to post all this?

Well Zaph it may be that i have being having personal issues which Your sarcastic response shows You are just the person to which people should trust their P.I's to............slide further downhill why don't You?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Post #4 and the thread has already been reduced to personal comments instead of site-wide feedback. Now that's impressive!

clln wrote: »
    Well Zaph it may be that i have being having personal issues which Your sarcastic response shows You are just the person to which people should trust their P.I's to............slide further downhill why don't You?

I fail to see what you having personal issues has to do with creating this account. If you've posted over there I presume it was unregged, that's what the facility is there for. I also fail to see what my response to you here has to do with me modding that forum. As a mod there my main task is to ensure the proper running of the forum, not to give advice, and on the odd occasion where I do sarcasm would never even cross my mind.

Legitimate criticism of the site is fine, but somebody posting a thread like this on the day they sign up is pretty implausible. It's clear that you've been on Boards a while and appear to have some axe to grind, so why not come clean and tell everyone who you really are?

• Advertisement

Post #4 and the thread has already been reduced to personal comments instead of site-wide feedback. Now that's impressive!

You saying it was not reduced to personal comments on Post #3 ????

Naw it could not be You Mods admins etc don't stick together if You's did Devore would have a bunch of eejits working for free and safe in the knowledge that they are being laughed at but will almost always be protected by boards,as i would protect people who helped me make money and were egocentric all for Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I also would like to thank you for your feedback, but I'm afraid of using the thanks button in case you might think that I'm ganging up on you.

You don't call this Sarcasm.like really? wow?

You don't call this Sarcasm.like really? wow?

If you'd read my post properly you would have seen that I was referring to my posts in PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Time for a thanks sub-forum.

I must still be all wrong but that is sarcasm by any judgement,but i am a mere registered member who does not claim to be wiser than others, I never said i do not know this site or some of its members well.
    You decided that!

• Advertisement

I must still be all wrong but that is sarcasm by any judgement

I never claimed it wasn't, as I've said already I was referring to my posts in PI when I mentioned sarcasm.

Anyway, it's been fun chatting to you, but I'm off to bed now so goodnight.

I never claimed it wasn't, as I've said already I was referring to my posts in PI when I mentioned sarcasm.

You use sarcasm in PI'S? i would think that would be even more reason that You don't belong there.
    Sorry i can't say it has been fun talking to You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Can we just get rid of thanks altogether? Even as a karma/reputation-without-the-negative-bit it still causes threads like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I like the thank You button so i can say, thank You for making sense,for making me laugh,for teaching Me something i did not know..........etc
    Often what you think is ganging up is only the above. How are you going about broaching whatever issue you have? If it's as confrontational as this, it would be difficult for them not to get defensive.
    i would ask in the psycology forum only there is Mods who work for free{Ahemmm} there also
    Why would they be paid? And why would it be a secret if they were?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER...

Sarky wrote: »
    Can we just get rid of thanks altogether? Even as a karma/reputation-without-the-negative-bit it still causes threads like this.

Hi Sarky My old friend! ;):)
    No i would not like to see the thank You button go,it is helpful to the insecure,it is helpful to say a poet trying out their first poem,it stops people like Me feeling 100% ignored as opposed to 99.9% Lol.

I wish it had degree's of what exactly a person is thanking,
    IT wise i imagine that would be a nightmare?:eek:

Imagine if i posted a picture of my handsome face and all boards members posted how beautiful i am!

Jeez the site would crash man LOL

Dudess wrote: »
    Often what you think is ganging up is only the above.

Hi Dudess,I remember You as a Mod and many's the time the fun was mighty and You were great in as much time as You could spare.

Dudesss Mods DO gang up along side admins and Boards would sack Jesus before it would sack a Mod/admin working for free.

What else can it do?it cannot pay so many mods/admins and expect 24/7 coverage or it would not survive.

Not a criticism but in dispute resolution it has to in the main support people who work for free as mods, only in exceptional cases will the Mod/admin be overuled,as a buisness Boards have no choice but to err on the side of Admins/mods

all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Won't somebody please think of the children M.T. Cranium

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Oh just get over it. It means nothing. Go outside and do something and stop worrying about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

In a slightly seperate side issue, can smeone be infracted/banned for using the Thanks button. Say Poster A calls someone else a c*nt, they'll undoubtedly be punished. But what if Poster B thanks the post - will they be punished too?

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    In a slightly seperate side issue, can smeone be infracted/banned for using the Thanks button. Say Poster A calls someone else a c*nt, they'll undoubtedly be punished. But what if Poster B thanks the post - will they be punished too?

Some mods used to infract for thanking dodgey posts. I think what's done now is that a post is edited to say why it was infracted. That way, it looks like the people thanking it are thanking the mod's action. ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

flahavaj wrote: »

I sincerely hope not.
    That is definitely a step too far IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh that particular madness has been mooted before among some of the more screwy mods. Like you I reckon step too far.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There is a widely perceived notion that Mods,hmods,Cmods,and admins 'Gang up' on a member via the thank you button, i have also seen Devore,Dav & Darragh do the same.

I admit i have problems with the thank You button in that it is so limited in its scope,I dont like to refuse a thank You to a post that 99.9% i agree with because one sentence goes against Me.

Honestly if a person accepts the roles of mod/admin the thank You( or taking sides publicly as i would see it) button should be disallowed.
    I appreciate that Mods need support and guidance also but so long as they use the thank you button to backslap nobody will have faith in dispute resolution.

It may be gone but it is not forgotten,the way Demonspawn was treated after admitting to mental illness was simply wrong, the thread was allowed to run way too long and the admin who was too cowardly to admit it was him/her that kept changing his(Demonspawns) avator should have been sacked.

Boards cannot defend itself on posts here or on blogs so long as this type of behaviour by those who wish to be in charge in banning etc always get the job, i would love to understand the psycology of those who wish to be in charge(for free) i would ask in the psycology forum only there is Mods who work for free{Ahemmm} there also
    You know, I agree with a couple of things you mention there. I agree the whole demonspawn thang was taken too far, I'd even agree that mods etc might be better off without the ability to thank(if that was possible permissions wise), but your opinion is compromised for me because you're looking like a newbie with an obvious knowledge of the place. Say who you are. Piss or get off the pot. Otherwise, why should anyone listen to some anon coward?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Wibbs wrote: »
    You know, I agree with a couple of things you mention there. I agree the whole demonspawn thang was taken too far, I'd even agree that mods etc might be better off without the ability to thank(if that was possible permissions wise), but your opinion is compromised for me because you're looking like a newbie with an obvious knowledge of the place. Say who you are. Piss or get off the pot. Otherwise, why should anyone listen to some anon coward?

What was this about again?

So did the others thank this to be ironic too?
    Sarky wrote: »

I don't know, the thanks button is useful for when someone posts about something good, funny, intelligent, caring. It's a great way to show your support for something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

I do feel the button can be and is used by cliques ( not necessarily mods) to gang up on people.
    On a more general note a house style guide might be useful.
    for example I only learned in the last week or so that a mod posting in bold is a decision as opposed to not posting in bold which is a contribution. I assume this is a siute wide posting style?? Is there anywhere where there is reference to such styles?
    And where do I get examples of the syntax of posting graphics and all the other similar [example][/example] examples?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ISAW wrote: »
    I do feel the button can be and is used by cliques ( not necessarily mods) to gang up on people.
    On a more general note a house style guide might be useful.
    for example I only learned in the last week or so that a mod posting in bold is a decision as opposed to not posting in bold which is a contribution. I assume this is a siute wide posting style?? Is there anywhere where there is reference to such styles?
    And where do I get examples of the syntax of posting graphics and all the other similar [example][/example] examples?
    The mod posting in bold thing was started by Wibbs a few years back, it's not a rule or a directive for mods to do so but it's very effective at making sure a mod instruction gets noticed.
    A lot of other mods have also started using this method as a result.

As for help with posting syntax etc., it's all in the FAQ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Don't know what incident the OP is talking about in particular but i can see his point about the thanking of mod action posts, it is largely unnecessary. However Im not sure of the OP is raising a valid issue or just taking the mickey here.

The whole mod and admins in bed together thing is a bit jaded. The springs on the bed broke long ago. There have been mods defrocked in the past. Not all mods agree on issues either.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

What I want to know is why the OP is capitalising words such as me, you, your? What is that about?

Also, if there is any type of OP that is going to guarantee a majority of sarcastic, opposing and posts that will be categorised by the OP as a circle jerk, then it is the one in this thread.

Advertisement