Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deleting internet explorer.

• 12-01-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hey, looking for some help with Internet explorer,

The last month or so my computer has been going really slow, now I have started to think that it is internet explorer that is to blame.
    I ran malware bytes and anti virus etc and nothing was found.

It was freezing all the time, couldn't seem to cope with more than 1 tab open etc even though I would normally use up to 10 with no problems, I have now started using firefox and it's fine, I don't actually use the computer for anything but the internet so I presumed it was just the computer but obviously it wasn't?
    Is it possible that internet explorer was just corrupt even though it was working to an extent and if I uninstall and delete Internet explorer and then download it again then should it work ok?

Also is there any way to copy all my favourites in IE without manually copying each one?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭IrishB.ie

You need IE for Microsoft Updates. Run an update and if IE needs to be updated you can try that.

As for bookmarks in IE:
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/767393?s=import+fav+from+ie&as=s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

So it can't just be deleted and reinstalled?

I will try the update now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

For the sake of clarity, could you tell us what version of Internet Explorer and Windows you're using?

It's possible that there are add-ons installed for Internet Explorer that are slowing it down. Try running Internet Explorer without add-ons and see if it feels faster.

In Windows 7 or Vista you can click on the Start orb and type in "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)". Run that and see if it feels faster and can cope with more than one tab. :)

For the sake of clarity, could you tell us what version of Internet Explorer and Windows you're using?

It's possible that there are add-ons installed for Internet Explorer that are slowing it down. Try running Internet Explorer without add-ons and see if it feels faster.

In Windows 7 or Vista you can click on the Start orb and type in "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)". Run that and see if it feels faster and can cope with more than one tab. :)

Thank you, my brother gave me this same advice last night and it's working fine without the add ons, I'm so annoyed that i've been using it the last few weeks when it has been a nuisance and it runs perfectly when I just change to firefox or internet explorer without add ons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

install firefox.,or chrome, it,ll say do you wish to import your ie favourites,click ok,yes.Theres no point in trying to uninstall ie, just don,t use it.Use another browser, theres a few sites that only work properly in internet explorer.Some microsoft sites.
    Google get chrome ,or firefox download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

cc-offe wrote: »
    Thank you, my brother gave me this same advice last night and it's working fine without the add ons, I'm so annoyed that i've been using it the last few weeks when it has been a nuisance and it runs perfectly when I just change to firefox or internet explorer without add ons!

"To add or remove Add-ons, click Tools from the Command bar and select Manage Add-ons from the drop-down menu. From this menu you can view and manage a list of different Add-on Types you've got installed in the browser. To add more, click on the Find more providers... option at the bottom of the window. To delete an Add-on, highlight the one you wish to remove and select Remove, or select Disable if you wish to leave it installed but make it inactive."

Internet Explorer 8 frequently asked questions

There should also be a column for Load time in the Manage Add-ons window. Disable what ones you think are slowing down Internet Explorer 8 and try it then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭Verres

FWIW, you can't "uninstall" IE from a windows OS. IE is inextricably linked to the OS kernel and cannot be removed on it's own. To get "rid" of IE, you need to get rid of Windows. However, if you just use another browser, IE will just sit in the background and the only thing it "runs" is MS Updates. Which you need.

Anyway - I know you have the issue licked; I just thought I'd explain why you can't nuke it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Unless of course, you go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components and uncheck the 'Internet Explorer' box there, but this is strongly not advised. To reinstall it you usually have to have your original Windows OS disc, of which not many people will know the wear abouts and as said already there are a few things for which IE is required.

Thanks everyone for all the replies, very much appreciated!
    I still can't believe i've been using the computer when it was acting like something out of the stone age when I could have simply switched browsers....:o

I'm planning on reinstalling windows in the near future anyway so hopefully the problem will be completely sorted then.

Thanks again:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Unless of course, you go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components and uncheck the 'Internet Explorer' box there, but this is strongly not advised. To reinstall it you usually have to have your original Windows OS disc, of which not many people will know the wear abouts and as said already there are a few things for which IE is required.
    This does not remove IE, it just removes the user interface / front end.

Most of the stuff under the bonnet will still be there as will any insecurities in them.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trident_%28layout_engine%29 which other apps use to display HTML

With any other browser (except old versions of Safari and those that use the IE engine) all you would have to do is point it at a fake proxy and it would be disabled. Unfortunatley chainging proxy in IE changes the windows proxy for all other apps :(

Not sure if you could use a proxy.pac file to re-direct just IE without changing the proxy settings for other apps though

• Advertisement
Advertisement