Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bad image avgrsstx.dll

• 12-01-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

Ran into an issue here guys, and badly need some help.

Lastnight when trying to run a program to convert .avi files to be able to view on an ipod, a message came up about 2 threats found, but the button to remove them was disabled. Ran a scan on AVG (free version) and no threats found.

Now when the laptop starts up (not even my laptop), I get this message box that comes up loads of times, for each application. I can still open them after, e.g. internet, avg, etc.

Any of you recognize this, or know what to do?

I've attached the message.

Hoping I havent messed up too bad here. I havent a clue where to start to try to get rid of something like this... Tried to follow the steps in the sticky, but the system restore point only works with XP / Vista. This is windows 7, so didnt want to go any further without that.

Really hoping someone can help...

Thanks
    MartinAnt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Uninstall AVG and reinstall it see if that helps, btw I'd go with downloading Microsoft Security Essentials instead of AVG.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MartinAnt

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling AVG, but from responses elsewhere, this doesnt seem to help.

Also, looked up Microsoft Security Essentials at http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ and saw this:

*Your PC must run genuine Windows to install Microsoft Security Essentials

And you have to pay for Genuine Windows, how much is that? Not really the same as free antivirus software, though I accept could be better...

MartinAnt wrote: »
    I will try uninstalling and reinstalling AVG, but from responses elsewhere, this doesnt seem to help.

Also, looked up Microsoft Security Essentials at http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ and saw this:

And you have to pay for Genuine Windows, how much is that? Not really the same as free antivirus software, though I accept could be better...

Presumed it might be something to do with AVG hence I was saying reinstall it, it mightn't work but worth a try.

Where did you get your Windows 7? If you got it from a shop or somewhere legit it's geniune Windows so you can install MSE.

It's a legit Windows 7 so i might try MSE. Someone told me with Windows 7 you can restore it back to any date, eg the week before this happened. Know anything about that? I'd be sceptical myself.

It's a legit Windows 7 so i might try MSE. Someone told me with Windows 7 you can restore it back to any date, eg the week before this happened. Know anything about that? I'd be sceptical myself.

Not sure how it works but go to Control Panel, then Recovery. Never done it myself so not sure what the craic is with it.

• Advertisement

The system restore wasnt switched on, bad luck continues...

Download MSE and ran a complete scan, it found one trojan virus, so I removed that. Errors keep popping up though. Uninstalled AVG, and the errors are still popping up.

Not sure what else I can do except hand it over to someone who can do a bit more than I can...

Did you go through everything in the sticky above this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274237

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Genuine Windows is a check to ensure that your copy of Windows is legitimate. :)

From what I understand the avgrsstx.dll file is being loaded when Windows starts, and it shouldn't.

Try following these instructions on the AVG forums and see if that solves your problem. :)

AVG Official Forums - [SOLVED] avgrsstx.dll

Thanks a mill OG!

Yeah it was the same issue as in that thread, a file that was part of old AVG versions but not needed for the 2011 version, and the uninstalling didnt work as it was in the registry as a start up file, so had to remove it there too.

That is a relief, no virus after all! Dont know why it just popped up all of a sudden, had that version of AVG for a while.

Might stick with Microsoft Security Essentials though as when i did a full scan with it, it showed up a potential virus and so i removed it, whereas a full scan with AVG wasnt showing up anything.

Also, that makes sense about "Genuine Windows", d'oh!

Cheers for your help lads!

MartinAnt

Advertisement