Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immortality

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

First time poster. Im not a believer in religion particularly after reading the god delusion anyway that is beside the point. I am of the view science should be throwing everything including the Kitchen sink to find a way to live forever or to halt growing old. Just throwing it out there its a field of science id love to work in. Does any one else share my views or have any opinions on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dying has its uses in biology, things can't evolve if they can't outperform and kill (directly or indirectly) it's competitors.

If humans were immortal our overpopulation problem would get 100x worse and we'd run out of resources very quickly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

jimjoe23 wrote: »
    First time poster. Im not a believer in religion particularly after reading the god delusion anyway that is beside the point. I am of the view science should be throwing everything including the Kitchen sink to find a way to live forever or to halt growing old. Just throwing it out there its a field of science id love to work in. Does any one else share my views or have any opinions on this?

Why? I'm sure science has better things to be doing. What's the point in living forever anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jimjoe23

Better things to be doing like what? Like id like to live forever there is so many things i'd like to see and do that will never get time to do because of work etc...love to stay young in my twenties as well.

Yes i know death has its benefit to biology. However reasoning, brainpower, logic and collaboration are also beneficial to survival and can and have been used successfully by humans to manipulate their surroundings for the reason of survival.

In relation to overpopulation not everyone has to take whatever anditote/solution science may achieve. Think there would be a market for it though. Having the option would that not be a testiment to science and humankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Death is natural and necessary. I can understand fear of the pain of death, but I can't understand the fear of death itself. I dread to think that someone might find a way to live forever. There are reasons for science to tackle disease and health related issues, but plain old vanity is no reason to overpopulate the world and wreak havoc.

On the subject however, there are people working to stop/slow aging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Death is natural and necessary. I can understand fear of the pain of death, but I can't understand the fear of death itself. I dread to think that someone might find a way to live forever. There are reasons for science to tackle disease and health related issues, but plain old vanity is no reason to overpopulate the world and wreak havoc.

On the subject however, there are people working to stop/slow aging.

Don't really see the distinction. It's not about vanity, its about extended life. Dying from AIDS is natural too. Should we stop trying to cure that? Or cancer? The end result of curing these diseases and curing death would be an increased lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

What if you're immortal but end up developing a crippling but non-fatal neurological disease like alzheimer's or parkinson's etc.? You'd be stuck with it for all eternity. That'd SUCK.

And eventually you'd have done everything there is to do on Earth anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dying has its uses in biology
    saw a nature documentary on RTE (BBC) about Pacific Salmon. Atlantic Salmon like we have make the trip every year to breed. Pacific Salmon do the trip once and die. Here's the thing , they reckon that 90% of the Nitrogen in the forest comes from Salmon. No dying no forest, no forest no suitable rivers for the young salmon to grow up in.

Advertisement