Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Radial circuits?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    In my parents house, which was originally wired during the mid 1970's, I notice that some of the socket radial circuits come out from the 20A MCB via 2.5t&e to a junction box in the attic. Two or more seperate feeds then go from this box via 2.5t&e to an individual socket.

This looks strange to me as most modern radials are daisy chained from socket to socket. Is this still allowed in the latest regulations?

Also in some cases, additional sockets have been added at a later date by connecting in from the back of some of the existing socket.

The light circuits follows a similar pattern with 1.5mm singles each going to an individual junction box and from there on to the various light switches. The neutrals for that circuit all return to a junction box and return via a 1.5mm single to the consumer unit.

Just want to check that these are still safe as the circuits proabably have a lot more load now that when originally installed in the 70's, and also a good few modifications.

The consumer unit was updated some years ago and has an RCD on all the sockets.

Whats the verdict??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

It was wired using the junction box method, dont think it is allowed these days. All should be ok as you have a modern fuseboard installed, if you are still worried put a smoke alarm in attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Most older houses are done like that.

Wouldn't be allowed now as all connections are supposed to be below the ceiling in so far as is possible.

Should be safe enough, even with the increased loads, as there was probably little or nothing on them to start and it is most probable that the cables will never carry anything like what they are rated for.

What i would do if I was you, is, to get a spark in and just make sure that all the terminations in the junction boxes are good and tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there's nothing theoretically wrong with it

junction boxes aside it's prob more effiicient than daisy chaining

i think they use this method in some other countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 FUBARED

Ah ok, so this is fairly normal for houses this age. Thanks for all the replies.

Just a few questions:
    Wouldn't be allowed now as all connections are supposed to be below the ceiling in so far as is possible
    So if I understand, your saying it's not allowed to have connections/junctions in the attic any more. Is that correct?

Also what's the current rules for branching radial socket circuits. Is it limited by number of sockets or branches etc.?

Is there a max age limit for 2.5t&e cable when it would need to be swapped out?

Finally, If other work was being done in the house which required certification, would it be necessary to upgrade these circuits?

Apologies if these are stupid questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i was referring to the 'star' type circuit you described -i think they use this method some places(france)

the rules don't actually define the radial circuit as a daisy chain and i don't think branches and junction boxes in general contravene wiring rules

there's no particular hazard once the cable is protected-you'd be limited to 10 doubles or 2 rooms(excl. kitchens)+hallway and max Zl for protective device

branches is more of a problem on rings

• Advertisement
Advertisement