Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logistics and Supply Chain Mgt

Options
  • 12-01-2011 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi

Im interested in this course DT358 for next year just wondering if ye know anyone who is in the course or who has finnished the course for a bit of advice ?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

conor f wrote: »
    Hi

Im interested in this course DT358 for next year just wondering if ye know anyone who is in the course or who has finnished the course for a bit of advice ?

Thanks for the help

Hey,
    I know someone who graduated from this a few years back (think it was 2007) and he got a job fairly fast, along with the rest of his course. I know a guy who is in final year this year and he tells me that most people from last years final year have jobs.

It seems to be a fairly niche course that is in demand.

In terms of content I have heard it is fairly difficult but don’t quote me on that :pac:

If I was you I wouldn’t be afraid to pick up the phone and ring the relevant person in this particular school and ask them the questions you want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Hi Conor,

I'm currently in third year in this course...very good course and there's a good work balance for the course as well...

If you send me a PM, I will answer any questions you have!

(sorry for not posting sooner, in the middle of exams at the minute:eek:)

Candy

Also here are two links: I dont know if you've already seen them on the Dit website or not

http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/programmes/logisticsandsupplychainmanagementdt358/

http://www.dit.ie/colleges/collegeofbusiness/management/logisticsandsupplychainmanagementdegree/

• Registered Users Posts: 17 em09

Hi im currently tranfering into year 3 of DT358.. just finished a higher cert in business studies..
    I'm just wondering how the work placement works.. who gets the top companies?? is it interviews/previous results etc..
    And what is the pay like?
    Any advice greatly appreciated..
    Thanks
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Hey em09 - where did you do your Higher Cert in business studies?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

em09 wrote: »
    Hi im currently tranfering into year 3 of DT358.. just finished a higher cert in business studies..
    I'm just wondering how the work placement works.. who gets the top companies?? is it interviews/previous results etc..
    And what is the pay like?
    Any advice greatly appreciated..
    Thanks
    Eoin

Hey Eoin,

I did the same thing as you, I transferred for 315 to 358. The logistics course is a great course. I am finished now and have left college. To top that I started working in a logistics job the week after I finished college.

As regards placements, DIT do have some very good contacts but you are as well off looking for a placement of your own back as many people generally end up doing at the last minute.

You also have got to bear in mind that we're in a recession and alot of firms are not willing to pay for intern's anymore, most of my class got paid for their expenses and that was it & very few got €150+ per week.

If you need any more info, don't hesisitate to send me a PM....

Best of luck

Candy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

I'm a graduate of the course - the company I done my work experience took me on immediately when I finished in forth year. I've since moved on and work for a Global Logistics company. It is quite a niche course but if you can get into Supply Chain Management in a big company or a purchasing role you will do very well. I havent quite got to that point yet but I hope to be able to in the future. Thats the positives.
    Negatives are some of the lecturers are quite lazy and don't really put any effort in, but its up to you to graduate. Secondly I know some other graduates who have ended up in jobs working for haulage companies and trucking companies. You dont want to fall into that category you work late hours/weekends on call/ the pay isnt great and its quite stressfull.
    Apologies for any spelling/grammer!
    PM me for any more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

candy19 wrote: »

Hey Eoin,

I did the same thing as you, I transferred for 315 to 358. The logistics course is a great course. I am finished now and have left college. To top that I started working in a logistics job the week after I finished college.

As regards placements, DIT do have some very good contacts but you are as well off looking for a placement of your own back as many people generally end up doing at the last minute.

You also have got to bear in mind that we're in a recession and alot of firms are not willing to pay for intern's anymore, most of my class got paid for their expenses and that was it & very few got €150+ per week.

If you need any more info, don't hesisitate to send me a PM....

Best of luck

Candy

Hi
    This sounds like a great course.
    I am going to try to apply through the mature student route. <snip>
    Does anyone know if they'll accept someone on they're work experience alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Hi Stevo,

Best chance you have of finding out that info would be going through the Mature Students contact in DIT (IIRC its Peter Brady and Nicola Timoney).

Otherwise, you could contact the course head, whom is Margaret Farrell.

Both of these options should be able to answer any questions you need.

You can email any of them by putting . between forename and surname and adding @dit.ie at the end.

Hope this helps, and after doing the course, i reckon your knowledge would fit perfectly in, if not even advance others in the course due to experienece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 lstevo

jossnjuice wrote: »
    Hi Stevo,

Best chance you have of finding out that info would be going through the Mature Students contact in DIT (IIRC its Peter Brady and Nicola Timoney).

Otherwise, you could contact the course head, whom is Margaret Farrell.

Both of these options should be able to answer any questions you need.

You can email any of them by putting . between forename and surname and adding @dit.ie at the end.

Hope this helps, and after doing the course, i reckon your knowledge would fit perfectly in, if not even advance others in the course due to experienece.

Hey Joss

Thanks a million for the reply and the info.
    Much appreciated
    All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sweeney143500

Planning on doing this course next year. Currently in Leaving cert. Could anyone give me an idea of their typical week i.e. Timetable for week. Also would it suit somebody who would have a great interest in road transport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I don't know about the Logistics course, but if you're interested in road transport then take a look at Transport Operations & Technology, also in DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sweeney143500

Aard wrote: »
    I don't know about the Logistics course, but if you're interested in road transport then take a look at Transport Operations & Technology, also in DIT.
    Yea, already had a look at it, but I think DT358 is a much better course. Only problem I would have with it would be the business perhaps. I never done business in school, I should've because I think I would have been interested in it, but would it be very hard for me to keep up with that, I've heard they teach you from the start, but could it be a problem.

Advertisement