Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few quick question - help!

• 12-01-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

As some of you may be aware I've recently run into some problems with me Toshiba A660 - 1FM. In the end I brought it back to PC World this evening and they replaced it. Unfortunately they didn't have any A660 - 1FM's so I ended up having to take a 1FH.

I got €100 back but now think I may have made a bad decision. I've dropped from a 1GB Graphics card to a 512 card and from a i7 processor to a i5 processor.

Anyway, I've a few questions that I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me with:

1) Graphics card

The 1FH has a Nvidia 512 Graphics Card, isn't this correct? Yet when I check what Graphics card is coming up on the laptop it's telling me Intel Integrated Graphics Card, is there any particular reason for this? There are Nvidia drivers and utilities on the laptop.

Would it be possible that the laptop has both an Intel and also a Nvidia card and switches between the two? I think I've read that some laptops do this. If this is the case does it switch over automatically?

The Windows Experience Score is only 4.6 due the graphics for Windows Aero Section yet the 3D graphics score is 5.5. Surely this is unusual?

2) RAM

The laptop has 4GB. Would I notice much of an improvement if I upgraded this to 6 or 8GB?

3) Noise

The laptop makes a clicking noise every so often a noise which the 1FM didn't make. I've heard a similar noise before when the hard-drive in my Mac failed.

Any ideas what this might be?

4) Using a laptop on a bed

From time to time I use a laptop on my bed. I'm aware that this isn't good for the laptop. If I use a chill pad/ cooling fan will this help the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Shane732 wrote: »
    1) Graphics card

The 1FH has a Nvidia 512 Graphics Card, isn't this correct? Yet when I check what Graphics card is coming up on the laptop it's telling me Intel Integrated Graphics Card, is there any particular reason for this? There are Nvidia drivers and utilities on the laptop.

Would it be possible that the laptop has both an Intel and also a Nvidia card and switches between the two? I think I've read that some laptops do this. If this is the case does it switch over automatically?

The Windows Experience Score is only 4.6 due the graphics for Windows Aero Section yet the 3D graphics score is 5.5. Surely this is unusual?

I'm not entirely sure, but I might have heard something about that kind of technology... maybe...

The product specification on the Toshiba website says that it has an nVidia graphics card. It's unusual, but I don't think it's anything to really worry about.

2) RAM

The laptop has 4GB. Would I notice much of an improvement if I upgraded this to 6 or 8GB?

It depends on what you use the laptop for. If it's for games you might notice an improvement in performance, since the graphics card will use more system RAM if there's more available. For documents and surfing the internet, probably not. If you're going past the 4GB range make sure you have a 64-bit OS installed so you can take advantage of all that extra memory. :D

3) Noise

The laptop makes a clicking noise every so often a noise which the 1FM didn't make. I've heard a similar noise before when the hard-drive in my Mac failed.

Any ideas what this might be?

It might be a noise that the laptop makes by nature. If you're worried though you could run chkdsk on the drive to make sure that it's in good working order.

And you are making regular backups, aren't you?

4) Using a laptop on a bed

From time to time I use a laptop on my bed. I'm aware that this isn't good for the laptop. If I use a chill pad/ cooling fan will this help the problem?

What usually happens is that blankets and duvets cover the air vents on the side and under the laptop and it starts to run hot. Just make sure that they're clear when you're using it in bed and you should be fine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

I got €100 back but now think I may have made a bad decision. I've dropped from a 1GB Graphics card to a 512 card and from a i7 processor to a i5 processor.
    doesn't sound like a good deal to me. But i don't know what the price was.. Wanna share?
    Would it be possible that the laptop has both an Intel and also a Nvidia card and switches between the two?
    I would find that highly unusual, and i doubt it has the two. There's feck all room in laptops anyway without leaving in redundant chips. Most laptops with dedicated nvidia or ati graphics cards are designed to use motherboards with no on board graphics.

There's a number of tools you can use to identify the hardware you have;
    Belarc Advisor, Intel chip utility, System information for Windows (SIW), speccy, to name a small few.
    Thery're just numbers, calculated differently. get over it.
    not unless you're remastering the lord of the rings, no.
    Could be the hard disk, or the fan.
    The problem, is air not being able to circulate in and around the laptop, therefore it cannot cool and is not good for the lifespan of the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

1) Graphics card

I recently bough a HP Pavilion DV6 laptop. It has an ATI graphics card. It is switchable which means when I'm using the laptop plugged in, it uses the main ATI card but when I use the laptop on battery it switches to the integrated graphics which uses less power.
    There is a setting on the graphics card that makes this switch automatically. It may be switched off on yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

rhonin wrote: »
    when I'm using the laptop plugged in, it uses the main ATI card but when I use the laptop on battery it switches to the integrated graphics which uses less power.
    I think that's bizzare to have in a laptop. I mean, when you buy a laptop, you know your always going to have a power issue. And when you choose a laptop with a high power graphics card, you expect to always use that graphics card, higher power consumption or not! How much does this power saving 'feature' cost i wonder..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

The price I paid for the 1FM (i7 and 1GB video card) was €1,099. The 1FH was 999.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I think that's bizzare to have in a laptop. I mean, when you buy a laptop, you know your always going to have a power issue. And when you choose a laptop with a high power graphics card, you expect to always use that graphics card, higher power consumption or not! How much does this power saving 'feature' cost i wonder..

No more expensive than without as far as I could tell when I was buying a laptop.
    It's a handy feature I think and you can switch it off easily if you want.

Advertisement