Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re screwhead

Options
  • 13-01-2011 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

I have an ac/dc adapter on a radio and I have managed to break the lead, I thought it would be a simple enough task to open the adapter and resolder the terminals but the screw heads are of a type I'm not familiar with. It's a round head screw with a triangular recess and I've since noticed them on a kettle as well.
    Anybody know what these are called and where I might get a driver for them? I've tried the DIY chains without success.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You should be able to get something in Radionics / Maplin to fit them, ebay would be worth a try too. The problem might be with the security bits that the likes of maplin sell will be if the screw is too far down a hole to get at it.

If it was just a once off I would just get an old flat head screw driver to jam in it and twist. If that won't shift them, heat them with the soldering iron and they should just pull apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

i have a set of draper security bits. they come in various types, usually in a rubber holder that pulls in half.
    here is a link to what im on about. i know that woodies usually have a draper section, and we sell them in the job so shouldnt be too hard to get.

http://www.speedyparts.ie/shop/images/38716_SEC33ii.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Thanks for that. I can see where the problem might be with the bits, the screws are about an inch recessed into the holes. Now that I know what I'm looking for and where to look I'll come up with something, I'm a renowned gunterer. :)

Advertisement