Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to get gait analysis and how does it work?

• 13-01-2011 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I hope this is okay to post here, I thought there might be a thread specifically for questions like this but couldnt find one so hopefully this is okay!

I have started to get a bit serious with my running and understand that gait analysis is pretty important. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of anywhere in Co. Wexford that provides this service?

I was also a little unsure about what it costs. I know some places do it for free, but is this on the condition that you buy your trainers there? I just don't want to end up forking out loads on runners because I just don't have the money!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I don't know anywhere in Wexford that does it...
    There's no obligation to buy, but there's an expectation that you'll make a good faith effort to find a suitable pair of shoes in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

My Sport in Enniscorthy does it at no charge on the understanding that you will buy a pair of runners from them. Phone ahead because is not always available if you walk in off the street. Ask for John or Theo. Runners are not anymore expensive than any other shop but you will still be spending somewhere north of €80 and more like €100.

Does it work?? - pfft?? there's plenty of disagreement over that one. I got it done in two different shops buying two different pairs of runners, both gave the same verdict and directed me towards similar ranges of runners. The mechanics or whatever behind it make sense to me so I'm happy to wear the type of runner that they advise.

Other people will argue that you should just run, that the body is designed for running etc etc. They're right of course, but to follow that line of thought through you should probably be running in your barefeet.

Get it done I reckon, just as easy buy the correct pair of runners as the wrong ones, and they all cost the same.

Edit: the lads in the shop will explain how it works when you're getting it done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If you want to find out your gait without the pressure of going to a shop, you could do this online self analysis.

You'll at least find out which category you're in and be able to source your self a suitable pair online.

All the same, I would still reccomend going to a shop to get the analysis and buying a pair there. It si also about fit as well as gait type. In a shop you will generally get to try on 3 or 4 different pais of suitable runners and choose the ones that fit you best/feel most comfortable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sorry to hi-jack this thread somewhat but is there any places that do gait analysis in Kilkenny or Waterford?

I'm due a new pair of runners soon and the last one's I figured out my gait best I could and bought them, they were fine mind you but I figure no harm in properly checking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Thank you all so much for your input and advice, I really appreciate it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you want to find out your gait without the pressure of going to a shop, you could do this online self analysis.

You'll at least find out which category you're in and be able to source your self a suitable pair online.

All the same, I would still reccomend going to a shop to get the analysis and buying a pair there. It si also about fit as well as gait type. In a shop you will generally get to try on 3 or 4 different pais of suitable runners and choose the ones that fit you best/feel most comfortable.

That one online is pretty cool,gave me the shoes I was recommended in Amphibian King,Neutral shoes.
    Woddle has a very good chart comparing the brands so you can see others than just mizuno.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

I tried the online gait analysis but Im having a little trouble understanding the results.... its probably my stupidity to be honest :rolleyes:

It shows a chart with cushioning level along the top with maximum, moderate and performance and with stability along the side with neutral support and control.
    The box that matches maximum neutral and the box that matches moderate neutral has a green arrow moving up along the foot!

Does this mean I am maximum neutral to moderate neutral??
    And if so what exactly does this mean with regards to what runners I should be buying?
    It then suggests I buy their wave rider ones but Im assuming that they reccommend their own shoes with every result so Im just wondering what type of runner I should be looking for with other brands!!

thanks again :D

There should be a line at the top of the results which says what type of gait you have:
    "Results of analysis
    These running shoes offer the correct balance between cushioning and support for a xxxxxxxx runner, such as yourself."

The XXXXXX bit should tell you if you are a neutral/overpronating/underpronating runner.

That said if they are recommending Wave Riders, that should mean you have a neutral gait and have need of cushioning. So look for a pair of Neutral/cushioned shoes on line- that shouldn't be too hard as most brands have a few different pairs of neutral/cushioned shoes (mizuno wave riders, Nike Lunarglide/lunar elite/pegasus, Asics Nimbus etc).

In the results section, there should be a second tab 'Analysis Report' which gives you a little more detailed info on you foot type/running style.

There should be a line at the top of the results which says what type of gait you have:
    "Results of analysis
    These running shoes offer the correct balance between cushioning and support for a xxxxxxxx runner, such as yourself."

The XXXXXX bit should tell you if you are a neutral/overpronating/underpronating runner.

That said if they are recommending Wave Riders, that should mean you have a neutral gait and have need of cushioning. So look for a pair of Neutral/cushioned shoes on line- that shouldn't be too hard as most brands have a few different pairs of neutral/cushioned shoes (mizuno wave riders, Nike Lunarglide/lunar elite/pegasus, Asics Nimbus etc).

In the results section, there should be a second tab 'Analysis Report' which gives you a little more detailed info on you foot type/running style.

Thank you so much for that! God I can't believe I didnt see that haha Thank God its friday!
    Yup I am neutral apparantly! Thanks again Im off to search for new runners :)

actually one more question! My mum had the result that she "pronates slightly after initial foot strike" .... does this mean that she is overpronating?

• Advertisement

actually one more question! My mum had the result that she "pronates slightly after initial foot strike" .... does this mean that she is overpronating?

That would mean she needs a supportive/stability shoe (not motion control that would be too much support). Something like Asics 2150, Mizuno wave inspire, nike lunar eclipse.
    Here's a few others that would suit her:
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/running/shoe/support-_-moderate-op/womens/?page=1

That would mean she needs a supportive/stability shoe (not motion control that would be too much support). Something like Asics 2150, Mizuno wave inspire, nike lunar eclipse.
    Here's a few others that would suit her:
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/running/shoe/support-_-moderate-op/womens/?page=1

Thanks so much for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You're best to go into the store and be fully tested, you have a particular gait but a specific brand/generation of runner may not be for you, there are other elements to it (ie) if your foot is a little wide you may need a particular shoe for comfort or if you're carrying extra weight you may need extra cushioning, you may land on your heel and be recommended a shoe which forces you to roll through to the midfoot to minimise impact in the area and improve form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

I just started running, and fiance is an experienced runner, so he recommended me getting the gait analysis done. I had it done last week in Limerick, in Elvery's. It is free, and I did buy the runners they recommended, but you don't necessarily have to, I was going with the intention of purchasing anyway.

Advertisement