Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to live in Melbourne

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I'm just of the Main Street in St. Kilda, paying $1170 for a one bed apartment. I like the area as it has the bay right beside it, is well served by trams and buses and there are plenty of people there to enjoy themselves. And there are still plenty of cheap places to eat if you know about them. It reminds me of a Rathmines by the sea, or a nice Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I live in Richmond and would recommend highly it has great transport links lots of great cheap Asian food and some really good bars and places to go out. My rent hear is also really reasonable compared to some of my friends in other areas. But If I had to move I think I would stay North of the river and if not Richmond probably try get a place in Fitzroy or Carlton. I like to go out in these areas and there are a lot of cool bars live music and places to eat around in them.

I like St.Kilda too but it can be very expensive for very little in terms of rent. Everyone seams to go there when they arrive in Melbourne which dose give the place a more cosmopolitan feel and will mean you are much more likely to hear Irish accents out and about but this is reflected in the rent and the amount of people landlords try and stuff into houses in the area. You won’t easily find a big room in a house with just a couple of others without paying a hell of a lot for it. Whatever side of the river you tend to live I think you tend to spend most of your time going out in also and I just prefer the night life north to that of south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone know what the docklands is like as a place to live?
    Going there tomorrow evening to look at a room in a two bed apt, price is €350 (for a couple) Is this a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone know what the docklands is like as a place to live?
    Going there tomorrow evening to look at a room in a two bed apt, price is €350 (for a couple) Is this a good price?

Looked at plenty down there myself. Is that the building beside Etihad stadium? or further down?
    One beside Etihad was always quite cheap.
    Wouldn't live down there as it's kind of dead, no supermarket, nearest is Coles and soon to be a Woolworths at Southern Cross.
    Most apartments down there don't have aircon, alright this time of year but come summer you'll need it.
    It's a fair trek from the city through a dodgy part of town (Southern Cross/Kings Street) if you are coming home from a night out etc.

Positive side is there's plenty of restaurants, takeaways and clothes shops down in Harbour Town.

Looked at plenty down there myself. Is that the building beside Etihad stadium? or further down?
    One beside Etihad was always quite cheap.
    Wouldn't live down there as it's kind of dead, no supermarket, nearest is Coles and soon to be a Woolworths at Southern Cross.
    Most apartments down there don't have aircon, alright this time of year but come summer you'll need it.
    It's a fair trek from the city through a dodgy part of town (Southern Cross/Kings Street) if you are coming home from a night out etc.

Positive side is there's plenty of restaurants, takeaways and clothes shops down in Harbour Town.

Its called waterview walk! Ya close to etihad alright.Ah sheeite was hoping we could just get a place, sick of hostels at this stage. Did not think it would be a dodgy part of town, hmmm may need to look elsewhere.
    Its looks like its at the end of collins street and the tram goes down there so thought geting in and out of town would be ok.
    Wont be doing much for the most part mon-thursday so may not be that bad. Is it just bums and **** hanging around down there or what?
    The missus workmates were slaging her saying it was the posh part of the city:) We didnt have a clue:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

zweton wrote: »
    Its called waterview walk! Ya close to etihad alright.Ah sheeite was hoping we could just get a place, sick of hostels at this stage. Did not think it would be a dodgy part of town, hmmm may need to look elsewhere.
    Its looks like its at the end of collins street and the tram goes down there so thought geting in and out of town would be ok.
    Wont be doing much for the most part mon-thursday so may not be that bad. Is it just bums and **** hanging around down there or what?
    The missus workmates were slaging her saying it was the posh part of the city:) We didnt have a clue:D

Well Docklands itself is fine, usual precautions at night as anywhere. Some chick was attacked in the lift of an apartment building a year or so ago in Docklands, isolated incident I'd say.
    It's the areas you have to walk through to get there, fine in day light but not so at night, Southern Cross and Kings Street.
    The free tourist tram goes down to docklands, finishes at 9pm I think.
    No bums or whatnot that I have noticed, although Southern Cross station can be rough, junkies etc.
    King Street area can be rough, fights, people getting attacked at night.

Go have a look at the apartment, personally I would look for something around Southbank, close enough to the city and very safe.

A thread I came across on Whirlpool about Docklands - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1783392

ok thanks uni good advise, ya we will take a look anyway...we are looking to see if something comes up in southbank also, seems like its a decent location. Thanks again:)

Advertisement