Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the procedure for a newbie to biking?

• 13-01-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    I am looking to get a motorbike as an alternative mode of transport having become frustrated driving a car. Can anyone tell me the procedure invloved in getting on the road as quickly as possible? I have ridden 50CC bikes in the past in Asia and abroad but have no license or experience in Ireland. Out of curiosity, could anyone outline what would need to be done in order to progress from an entry level bike all the way to a 1200CC 70BHP bike (I secretly harbour a dream of one day driving a Harley). Any information is much appreciated.
    All the best.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Apply for an 'A' class learner permit. Complete the IBT (outlined in KamiKazi's post).
    After this you will need to pass your full A licence. You must hold a learner permit for six months before you can take the test.
    After completing your test you will be restricted to 33bhp for a further two years.
    Then you can have your Harley. (Hopefully you'll have realised by this stage that they're shite though:D:D)

They've made it difficult alright. Totally worth it though, go for it I guarantee you'll never regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

petes2008 wrote: »
    ...I secretly harbour a dream of one day driving a Harley...

I came to these hallowed pages a few years ago and asked how long it might take me to work up to the GSX1400 that I'd been fantasizing about. I was very much berated at the time. I subsequently started biking and was a matter of months into my first year and still on a Learners Permit when I got my precious (restricted) GSX. It has been my pride and joy ever since. Im basically saying that you're dream is probably much closer to reality than you'd expect. Things have gotten trickier since but as posted, it's so worth it and IBT will give you a lot of the confidence you'll need to move toward that Harley...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

cantdecide wrote: »
    I got my precious (restricted) GSX.

You have the 1400cc restricted to 33hp or a different GSX? Sweet jebus, did they just remove some spark plugs for you, that thing is normally 100+ hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 petes2008

Thanks for all the feedback folks, thats great. The first step is a provisional and the IBT it seems.

• Advertisement

Dorsanty wrote: »
    You have the 1400cc restricted to 33hp or a different GSX? Sweet jebus, did they just remove some spark plugs for you, that thing is normally 100+ hp.

109 hp I think. My restriction was up in August and I haven't even gotten around to de-restricting it yet :D

I got my Blackbird (160 odd hp) restricted too but that's been de-restricted now. They both drove absolutely fine restricted contrary to popular belief.

0-60 time of the restricted blackbird?

KamiKazi wrote: »
    0-60 time of the restricted blackbird?

I dunno. Fast bike, slow rider :p Still quicker to 60 than the overwhelming majority of cages. Good useable power that didn't fade away as dramatically at the high end. No point revving it over 5/6k which I normally wouldn't be doing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I dunno. Fast bike, slow rider :p Still quicker to 60 than the overwhelming majority of cages. Good useable power that didn't fade away as dramatically at the high end. No point revving it over 5/6k which I normally wouldn't be doing anyway.

What's the point in having it? A 600cc would do you just as well.

What's the point in having it? A 600cc would do you just as well.

I'm 6'4" and built like a brick privy.

• Advertisement

I'm 6'4" and built like a brick privy.

Then a 600cc and a treadmill would have done you good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Then you can have your Harley. (Hopefully you'll have realised by this stage that they're shite though:D:D)

Not so, the sportster falls under the restricted criteria re power to weight so you could have one of those as soon as you pass the test, also it's a simple enough proposition to restrict a HD which would make them legal for a restricted rider too.

Totally agree though, they're sh1te. ;)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Then a 600cc and a treadmill would have done you good.

Why the hostility, friend? I bought the bike I wanted and I restricted it. Why would I buy a bike I didn't want?

It would be like buying a skirt because you didn't want to have your trousers taken up.

Why the hostility, friend? I bought the bike I wanted and I restricted it. Why would I buy a bike I didn't want?

It would be like buying a skirt because you didn't want to have your trousers taken up.

Nice to see the Cork sense of humour is alive and kicking. Should have thrown a "you know like" in at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 petes2008

Can anyone tell me the cheapest place to sit the IBT course? Cheapest quote so far is €500 which seems pretty expensive. Is there anywhere cheaper in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Cheapest I've found in Dublin is €500 too. Seems to be the cheapest sadly.

That's a crazy price for it when you think of what's actually involved :rolleyes:

Have heard of at least one shop giving it away free with a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

bladespin wrote: »
    That's a crazy price for it when you think of what's actually involved :rolleyes:

Have heard of at least one shop giving it away free with a new bike.

Nothing free in this world, they just included the cost in the bike.

Anyway, IBT can be got for less than 500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I have heard of instructors doing discounted IBT for people signing up together. I think the biggest class size they allow is 10 so if you and 9 of your friends show up you may get a discount with some instructors.

I have heard of instructors doing discounted IBT for people signing up together. I think the biggest class size they allow is 10 so if you and 9 of your friends show up you may get a discount with some instructors.
    Thats for the classroom stuff only, because the max allowed on a bike, along with the IBT Trainer is 2.

It should be possible to get a good price for 1 person and a better price for 2 people doing it together, and to do it on days that suit yourself.

• Advertisement

Nothing free in this world, they just included the cost in the bike.

Nothing truer here, where did you get it for less than €500?

bladespin wrote: »
    Nothing truer here, where did you get it for less than €500?
    Send me a PM

That link is broken for me I'm afraid. Couple of quick questions from a potential newbie.....

So from what i gather, I have to do the IBT and apply for the provisional (I assume since I have a full drivers licence for a car that I wouldn't need to re-do the theory test?) - then once I have the provisional, what CC am I restricted to when buying a bike?

You'll have to:

Do theory test for A

Get learner permit.

Do IBT.

Get bike either under or restricted to 33BHP, CCs don't come into the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

The basic procedure is here;
    http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/

You are not restricted by CC's unless under 18 as far as I know. You are restricted on the power of the bike though;
    http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/25kw-license-facts/

That restriction holds for two years after taking out a full license.

Thanks mate. Appreciate that.

What would I be looking at (approximate ball park figure) for 1st year insurance for 26 y.o male with no previous experience/insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

What would I be looking at (approximate ball park figure) for 1st year insurance for 26 y.o male with no previous experience/insurance?

I dunno, I'm the wrong side of 40 so insurance is cheapish for me.

Your insurance companies are;
    Quinn direct
    Aon
    Adelaide
    Carole Nash

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. You would have to ring them. Dublin address has a heavy loading, that I do know.

Also if you do an insurance company riding assessment you should get a substantial discount with that company. Doing IBT should mean it's cheaper too but that remains to be seen.

Hope that helps

Edit: You can get online quotes from Quinn & Aon I think

Cost would depend on the type of bike you get.Sportier bikes are more expensive. Factory restricted bikes are a lower grouping for insurance.
    Try : www.aonbikecare.ie

Advertisement