Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert music (Marking scheme?)

Options
  • 13-01-2011 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Ok so im doing music for the leaving cert 2011. Im teaching the subject to myself (ill probably get grinds). Anyway I was wondering can anyone help me out by telling me the marking scheme for the performance part of the test. (Im opting for the 50% performance) So like what percentage is going towards say confidence, adding drama to the piece etc. If I walk into the exam and just basically play the song with no contrast or variation will I still get a decent mark :L

And also while were here ill tell you the songs I will be performing:
    1. Lagrima - francisco tarrega
    2. Something - Beatles
    3. Albatross - Fleetwood Mac
    4. Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
    5. Blackbird - Beatles
    6. under the bridge - Red hot chile's

What do you think of my set list and can anyone give me some advice on the exam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Perhaps you might find some info at the curriculum online website here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056108055&highlight=music

also the Music Teachers of Ireland at

http://www.ppmta.ie/

they have resources

http://www.ppmta.ie/

Found this:
    http://www.folens.ie/exam-marking-schemes/leaving-cert-marking-scheme/2010%20LC%20Music%20HL.pdf

which seems to be the marking system.

Left the other links as you might find them useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 plosh

Thank you so much! The links are so helpful and the marking scheme link is exactly what im looking for! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tara23buy

Hi plosh and anyone else reading i have created a leaving cert music website as a college project.. it includes notes, recordings, videos, exam papers, and a forum if you register!! check it out

http://leavingcertmusiconline.x10.mx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

plosh wrote: »
    Ok so im doing music for the leaving cert 2011. Im teaching the subject to myself (ill probably get grinds). Anyway I was wondering can anyone help me out by telling me the marking scheme for the performance part of the test. (Im opting for the 50% performance) So like what percentage is going towards say confidence, adding drama to the piece etc. If I walk into the exam and just basically play the song with no contrast or variation will I still get a decent mark :L

2. Something - Beatles
    5. Blackbird - Beatles

What do you think of my set list and can anyone give me some advice on the exam?
    May I ask what instrument your playing? It may be better to throw in one more classical piece (to show the different styles etc.) Also you have to do an unseen test which i believe is worth 5% of the 50 i think! It's basically either sight reading/memory test or clapback! These can all be downloaded of the SEC website too! May I ask what books your using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

plosh wrote: »

2. Something - Beatles
    5. Blackbird - Beatles

Presume its guitar? They are looking for diversity two beatles songs dont really show that. You should be fine though.
    Also they have to be of "grade 5 standard" or higher. I dont know if im being over critical but is Albatross not a bit easy? All this is just my opinion im sure you see it differently..

One thing will matter though is the instruments. Im pretty sure acoustic and eletric are defined as two seperate instruments you should really check that out otherwise you may have a problem.

And regards the sight test. As long as you know your basic chords (F sharp minor etc) and your italian tempo markings you will walk it.

Hope thats helps.

• Advertisement

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    They are looking for diversity two beatles songs dont really show that. You should be fine though.
    Also they have to be of "grade 5 standard" or higher. I dont know if im being over critical but is Albatross not a bit easy? All this is just my opinion im sure you see it differently..

Just to reassure the OP, I got an A2 in the 2009 leaving cert, and I was nowhere near grade 5. I didn't think I did very well in the written exams, so I must have really made up for it in the practical. My main tips would be:
    -Cut your songs down to a length short enough that they wont need to stop you.
    -Be really friendly, bright, cheerful, confident. Try and make yourself seem like a breath of fresh air, something different to what they've been listening to all day.
    -If you're going to play a song as slow as Albatross, that's ok, but it will have to be perfect, and it will need to be expressive.
    -Diversity. You need to have more than one genre of song. I only did 4 songs for leaving cert, but each one of them was a completely different style.
    -Don't have a favourite bit of a song half way through the song. They can stop you at any time, so make sure you get your best bits out there without any filler. A girl in the year before me sang a song with this amazing note near the end, and she was kind of counting on it to impress, but she took so long to get to it that they stopped her. She was gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

Under The Bridge should is a good song choice for the practical!

I'm playing piano-
    Light My Fire -The Doors
    Aria - Bach (Grade 8)
    Tarantelle- (Grade 5 )
    and an Irish tune by Phil Coulter.

Hey I know its been a while sorry hehe :\
    But thanks to everyone for all the replies, the book im using is Soundscape, I think :L
    I also have all the scores of each set piece.
    I made a change to the list of my performances since.
    I will be performing 3 classical pieces
    All on electric guitar (Yikes :O)
    I will be performing Lagrima, Etudes - something by Leo Brouwer, and I am also learning another classical piece at the moment.
    I wont be doing wish you were here.
    And I probably wont be doing under the bridge but we will see?
    And BTW im the only one in my school doing Music for the Leaving Cert (Yikes again :\ haha)

Ow And one more things if anyone is still reading this :L
    Whats all this about a sight reading test, ive never heard of it?
    Im worried because im useless at sight reading :(

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

The "sight reading" test is worth 5% i believe? You choose what to do. You choose between being given a couple of lines of music and playing them back i.e. sight reading, clapping back a rythm that the examiner claps for you and I think theres another option too. If you're not strong at sight reading go with the clapping. Just try get a few sample rhythms to clap to in preparation. Get a friend/ family member to clap them out for you and then you copy.

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    The "sight reading" test is worth 5% i believe? You choose what to do. You choose between being given a couple of lines of music and playing them back i.e. sight reading, clapping back a rythm that the examiner claps for you and I think theres another option too. If you're not strong at sight reading go with the clapping. Just try get a few sample rhythms to clap to in preparation. Get a friend/ family member to clap them out for you and then you copy.

Ye thanks for the help, ive been given a date for the exam, its the 15th of April :eek:
    Ill definitely be doing the clapping test anyway :L

• Advertisement
Advertisement