Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmacadam scam

Options
  • 13-01-2011 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭

Got visited twice today by some obviously travellers in a UK reg van, apparently they were doing ' a road job for the council' nearby and would have some left over, available at a great cost. they went house to house, must have been getting desperate as the evening went on because apparently, they were due in Cork the following morning on another important ' contract'
    They were in the Lackagh / Turloughmore area today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

galwayrush wrote: »
    Got visited twice today by some obviously travellers in a UK reg van, apparently they were doing ' a road job for the council' nearby and would have some left over, available at a great cost. they went house to house, must have been getting desperate as the evening went on because apparently, they were due in Cork the following morning on another important ' contract'
    They were in the Lackagh / Turloughmore area today.
    And what was the 'scam'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

amiable wrote: »
    And what was the 'scam'?

Google "tarmacadam scam" and you will find out.

http://www.traderscams.co.uk/new-scams-tradesmen-tricks.html

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2008/08/warnings-of-rogue-tarmac-and-h.html

Elderly people are very vulnerable to these scams

dilallio wrote: »
    Google "tarmacadam scam" and you will find out.

http://www.traderscams.co.uk/new-scams-tradesmen-tricks.html

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2008/08/warnings-of-rogue-tarmac-and-h.html

Elderly people are very vulnerable to these scams
    I know full well what one is but it doesn't give the details in th OP of what was .
    There's no evidence that this was an actual scam. They may have been just trying to earn a few quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I know full well what one is but it doesn't give the details in th OP of what was .
    There's no evidence that this was an actual scam. They may have been just trying to earn a few quid

Not a scam?.

So your saying that traveller's in a UK registered van,
    a van that by law has to be declared and re registered, as an Irish vehicle, after 1 day of being in this country. And who are unable to estimate the required amount of tarmac to complete their initial contract, are now getting work from Galway County council?.

Not a scam?.

a van that by law has to be declared and re registered, as an Irish vehicle, after 1 day of being in this country. And who are unable to estimate the required amount of tarmac to complete their initial contract, are now getting work from Galway County council?.
    Show me the quote where i said its not a scam

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

And what was the 'scam'?

Eh, this one ^^^^^^^. Your tone, the inverted commas around the word scam, and the questionmark, all point to a scenario in which you dont believe that this is a scam:rolleyes:

newmug wrote: »
    Eh, this one ^^^^^^^. Your tone, the inverted commas around the word scam, and the questionmark, all point to a scenario in which you dont believe that this is a scam:rolleyes:
    The question mark was there cos i asked a question. The inverted commas were quotation marks cos the OP called it a 'scam'.
    Again show me the quote where i state it wasn't a 'scam'?

Show me the quote where i said its not a scam

Show me where I said you said it was a scam?.

Not a scam?.

The question mark, is there to try and ascertain your view on the subject, which is unclear.

Come on, we're not in front of the judge here!
    What is your view on the OP?

I would be very doubtful everything would be above board with these guy's.

Would you let them tarmac your driveway if they called to your door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

The scenario outlined is a very well known old scam. If they did do the job you could well be left with a membrame of tar

Show me where I said you said it was a scam?.

The question mark, is there to try and ascertain your view on the subject, which is unclear.

Come on, we're not in front of the judge here!
    What is your view on the OP?

I would be very doubtful everything would be above board with these guy's.

Would you let them tarmac your driveway if they called to your door?
    I have no view whatsoever on the OP.
    The question mark was there to ask a question.
    I asked the OP a valid question

• Advertisement

The question mark was there cos i asked a question. The inverted commas were quotation marks cos the OP called it a 'scam'.
    Again show me the quote where i state it wasn't a 'scam'?

That IS the quote that caused confusion. You came across like you didnt think it was a scam.

The scenario outlined is a very well known old scam. If they did do the job you could well be left with a membrame of tar
    I'm very familiar with this scam as you said yourself its very well known.
    IMHO there was very little evidence of an actual scam in the OP.
    That doesn't mean one wouldn't take place and that doesn't mean the OP wouldn't be able to back it up when he/she gets a chance to reply to the question i asked the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

That doesn't mean one wouldn't take place and that doesn't mean the OP wouldn't be able to back it up when he/she gets a chance to reply to the question i asked the OP

Damn you OP! Look what you started!

Very little evidence? Well there's two major pieces of evidence that kinda clinches it for me anyway. Lets see:
    • Supposed council contractors calling door-to-door looking for money
    • Not just leaving excess tar in the council yard, like real council contractors would
    Maybe I'm just too cynical for this crazy old world, but those two facts alone would ring my alarm bells, even if I'd never heard of a scam like this before.

Very little evidence? Well there's two major pieces of evidence that kinda clinches it for me anyway. Lets see:
    • Supposed council contractors calling door-to-door looking for money
    • Not just leaving excess tar in the council yard, like real council contractors would
    Maybe I'm just too cynical for this crazy old world, but those two facts alone would ring my alarm bells, even if I'd never heard of a scam like this before.
    What happens Tarmacadam when you bring it back to said yard?
    Maybe they stick it in the microwave the next morning to use again?
    Still no evidence there that the OP was to be scammed.
    Think before you post.

I have no view whatsoever on the OP.
    The question mark was there to ask a question.
    I asked the OP a valid question

You haven't answered my question.

Again,
    Travellers call to your door asking if you would like your driveway tarmaced.
    They claim to be working on a what is essentially a government contract despite the following glaring peculiarities:

They are working from an out of state registered vehicle.

Although to acquire government work, they would have to have a reasonable knowledge of taking measurements,
    Despite this they have over estimated the size of there initial contract by surprise surprise, the size of your driveway.

They will be over 200Km away from your house tomorrow.

Would you give them the job?

You haven't answered my question.

Again,
    Travellers call to your door asking if you would like your driveway tarmaced.
    They claim to be working on a what is essentially a government contract despite the following glaring peculiarities:

They are working from an out of state registered vehicle.

Although to acquire government work, they would have to have a reasonable knowledge of taking measurements,
    Despite this they have over estimated the size of there initial contract by surprise surprise, the size of your driveway.

They will be over 200Km away from your house tomorrow.

Would you give them the job?
    Nor have you answered mine. Where is the evidence of the 'scam'?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UngratefulWhelp

Sweet Jesus save us from the bending-over-backwards to be politically correct.

No doubt if they called to amiable's door, he'd accept their kind offer to show how non-prejudiced he/she is.

Sweet Jesus save us from the bending-over-backwards to be politically correct.

No doubt if they called to amiable's door, he'd accept their kind offer to show how non-prejudiced he/she is.
    I don't need you to speak for me. As you will see i'm quite capable of speaking for myself. It doesn't matter whether i'd give them the job myself or not. But if you really want to know i wouldn't because if i wanted to get my drive done i'd research it and get the best quote. i wouldn't do it on a whim. It has nothing to do with being politically correct. I'm probably the most un PC person i know but there are rules on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

At least that lot asked if you wanted tarmacadam.
    They started laying it on a neighbours driveway in my area and he came out to tell them to leave.
    They then wanted cash for the work they had done (despite not being asked to do it) and started an altercation.

I won't go into the details but one of them tried to stop a shovel with his head and they left shortly after.
    Thanks for the heads up OP.

Better safe than sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

With these guys going round its wise to give them a very quick brush off at the door as they can very easily become bothersome if they think there is any chance of getting any money off you.

bastados wrote: »
    With these guys going round its wise to give them a very quick brush off at the door as they can very easily become bothersome if they think there is any chance of getting any money off you.
    Good point. They react better to people being firm IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a scam. They even go to Sweden.
    http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=18405
    They were Irish. Had the fortune to be in when a young Irish whipper snapper tried to convince the wife that we needed a new driveway. He couldn't have been older than 12 and he was trying to sell us a tarmaced drive way for 15,000 SEK

The wife couldn't really understand what he was saying as he had quite a strong accent. I had to step in and say that we wasn't interested. As soon as he realised I was British he gave up and that was that. A couple of days later our local paper had an article about them though they seemed to be more concerned that they were not paying Swedish tax as oppose to ripping people off and stealing gravel.
    One Irish road paver has been arrested while another is wanted by police in southern Sweden after the pair ordered a schoolboy to fill their truck with stolen gravel.
    The two men drove straight past security barriers and across a field to get to a gravel yard outside Skurup in the far south of Sweden on Wednesday. They then phoned a nearby school and asked for help to dislodge a digger that had become stuck. A teacher at the school sent a pupil over to the yard to help the pavers.
    But when the pupil got to the site he quickly realised that there was no digger. Instead the two men threatened him and ordered him to start loading gravel into their UK-registered truck, local newspaper Ystads Allehanda reports.
    "It was incredibly cheeky. It's surprising how inventive thieves can be," Ingrid Larsson from the Brösarps Grus gravel yard told the newspaper.
    Once the truck was loaded, the men hopped in and drove away from the pit. But in an ironic twist of fate, the wheels of the vehicle got stuck in the waterlogged field and the men were unable to proceed.
    By then the school had suspected that all was not well and notified Ingrid Larsson, who in turn called the police. By the time the police arrived, the men had disappeared.
    But the pavers appear to have been lying in wait and returned to the scene after the police had the truck towed out of the field. With the police busy gathering information, the two men climbed aboard the rescued vehicle and made good their escape.

What happens Tarmacadam when you bring it back to said yard?
    Maybe they stick it in the microwave the next morning to use again?
    Still no evidence there that the OP was to be scammed.
    Think before you post.

What happens? It doesn't go hard in the back of their lorry, and it cant be scammed "sold" on to some unsuspecting unfortunate, thats what happens.

Either you're trolling or you're a very, very naive person.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Play nice pls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Not a scam?.

There's lots of foreign registered vehicles doing work for county councils up and done the country. O'Kane or Kane's spring to mind as do some E (Rather than IRL) plated Toyota Hilux's that were about Galway round the time the motorway was under construction !!

There's lots of foreign registered vehicles doing work for county councils up and done the country. O'Kane or Kane's spring to mind as do some E (Rather than IRL) plated Toyota Hilux's that were about Galway round the time the motorway was under construction !!

I never said they aren't here; I said they shouldn't be. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

biko wrote: »
    It's a scam. They even go to Sweden.
    From a someone I know who did work in Sweden: most of the travellers in Sweden are Irish, and they bring over their Irish regged cars.

the_syco wrote: »
    From a someone I know who did work in Sweden: most of the travellers in Sweden are Irish, and they bring over their Irish regged cars.

Bloody hell, there's kna travellers in Sweeden?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Bloody hell, there's kna travellers in Sweeden?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    They are in France too. On the outskirts of a town called Lamballe there's a big site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement