Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmacadam scam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

amiable wrote: »
    Nor have you answered mine. Where is the evidence of the 'scam'?
    Are you for real, you will have to hand over the money and you will have to give them the chance to "finish" the job before you will have the evidence that it is a scam. At that stage it will be too late and they won't be seen again.

Maybe next time, someone should ask for a VAT receipt and some ID when these guys come to the door. If they feck off I think you can safely say it's a scam, don't know if a sworn affidavit would be enough evidence for you though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Are you for real, you will have to hand over the money and you will have to give them the chance to "finish" the job before you will have the evidence that it is a scam. At that stage it will be too late and they won't be seen again.

Maybe next time, someone should ask for a VAT receipt and some ID when these guys come to the door. If they feck off I think you can safely say it's a scam, don't know if a sworn affidavit would be enough evidence for you though
    Are you for real? When have you ever handed over money before a job is done? And i've been called naive. Did the OP ask for a VAT receipt and ID? He may have but hasn't steted it. Sure you are another one who knows what i'd do. Thanks Mister. I'd be lost without yee. I don't know how i got this far in life on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Are you for real? When have you ever handed over money before a job is done? And i've been called naive. Did the OP ask for a VAT receipt and ID? He may have but hasn't steted it. Sure you are another one who knows what i'd do. Thanks Mister. I'd be lost without yee. I don't know how i got this far in life on my own

The first guy flashed a business card, but it so fast, it was back in his pocket before i could read it. One of his passenger was a lady, hair in a top knot, and was wearing large hoopy ear rings. He also said the had a lorry and a half left over from the council job , and would be wiling to spread it for cash.
    Second guy, arrived about 2 hours later, tried his best to put on a 'posh ' accent that was somewhat compromised by the words ' no problem boss'
    He also offered a discount if i handed him a cash deposit first.

Now, a lorry and a half left over, well, the council did do a road crossing locally, i would expect 2 wheel barrows of tar would have been more than enough for the job, so i asked him how did they get the estimated amount so wrong. He said they were told the job was suppost to be bigger.

Maybe i was stupid to turn down such a generous offer.:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Yep Galwayrushe you sure missed out there. Are you interested in a 100% Persian rug Boss....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

galwayrush wrote: »
    Second guy, arrived about 2 hours later, tried his best to put on a 'posh ' accent that was somewhat compromised by the words ' no problem boss'
    I lol'ed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Yep Galwayrushe you sure missed out there. Are you interested in a 100% Persian rug Boss....

Oh yes, i ain't going to miss another golden oppoturnity, would you like cash or my credit card details? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bobby11

unfortunantly this van and its occupiers are still in the area. they have been reported to the gaurds as they have also been verbally abusive when calling at homes.all we can do is keep an eye out for the van in the area and report it to tuam gaurds who have been out already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It happens plenty, a lot of work we do now for people that wouldn't be regular customers have to pay up front.

Do you not find it a bit odd that you are the only person saying these people are not scammers. I wonder why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

bobby11 wrote: »
    unfortunantly this van and its occupiers are still in the area. they have been reported to the gaurds as they have also been verbally abusive when calling at homes.all we can do is keep an eye out for the van in the area and report it to tuam gaurds who have been out already.

These guys called to my sister in Coolarne on Thursday. Pushy enough but she was well able for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 billim

friend of mine does this,came back from a workin holiday with 16grand.not bad for eight days work.soft victims he calls them,hes most recent job involved the gutter hedgehog all 10feet of it which he spent two hours of tthe ladder around pretending to fit.when the old guy asked why he could not see it from a certain window that overlooked gutter,he told him he had to shove it under the slate cause of the ackward angle.the guards have put a lot of preasure on them searching transit vans,which is why they now prefer smaller vans ie citroen berlingo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

^^^^^^ Thats pure scumbaggery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

sticky situation

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Nedser101

Has anybody ever got a legitimate job done by a traveller

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Thanks for the heads up. Id be making sure my sheds are locked up also.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Billim has been sitebanned as troll.

Old thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement