Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griselinia turning Black and leaves falling off

Options
  • 13-01-2011 12:48am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

My Griselinia hedging seems to have taking a beating during the latest cold snap. All the leave are either turning brown then black and falling off. Is it totally dead or can it be saved.
    Really don't want to have to replace it all this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

kikel wrote: »
    Hey All,

My Griselinia hedging seems to have taking a beating during the latest cold snap. All the leave are either turning brown then black and falling off. Is it totally dead or can it be saved.
    Really don't want to have to replace it all this year.

Was about to post the same question. We planted our hedge about 4 years ago and was doing really well until now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Bummer isn't it. Any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Myyra

Exactly same situation going on with my hedge too, only thing is tho that I just planted it maybe weeks before the bloody big freeze, neighbour reckons that it still might survive, that I have to wait till spring to see? She's usually right about these things so I'm reaaally hoping for the best!

Any tips warmly welcomed indeed? Just leave it for now?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Nothing you can do only wait and see. I had the same situation a few years ago but the hedge came back and is thriving. I suppose in the end it depends on how extensive the damage is. I had similar damage to some escallonia shrubs last year and they never recovered - had a few leaves reshoot alright in late spring but mostly the shrubs were dead so I replaced them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

"WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN SPRING" is the best advice I could get from the guy in the garden centre.

He told me they lost some plants and are only hopeful for alot more - even though they tried to protect their stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

rhonin wrote: »
    Was about to post the same question. We planted our hedge about 4 years ago and was doing really well until now.

Me too. bottom have is really bad. look very poor after last nights wind.

Bottoms still not not showing any buds . Tops look ok. Worried now :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

I confirmed this morning that my 20+ griselinia are all dead. Broke off some of the smaller branches at the top of some of the bushes and the wood inside was all dead.
    Are there any hardier bushes that I can replant instead? Don't fancy shelling out for new ones after another cold snap.

KazDub wrote: »
    I confirmed this morning that my 20+ griselinia are all dead. Broke off some of the smaller branches at the top of some of the bushes and the wood inside was all dead.
    Are there any hardier bushes that I can replant instead? Don't fancy shelling out for new ones after another cold snap.

My tops are green, just the bottoms dead, i think. its a pain alright :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

KazDub wrote: »
    I confirmed this morning that my 20+ griselinia are all dead. Broke off some of the smaller branches at the top of some of the bushes and the wood inside was all dead

My Dad & OH did this on Saturday 12/03 and same story as you. They also dug up some of the smaller ones, to find roots all dried out and woody also.

All 155 plants were then dug up (Saturday & Sunday) and replaced with laural bare root the following Wednesday & Thursday.

:) My Mom has sprinkled all the plants with holy water, to help them grow. :rolleyes: And rubbed some onto my Dad's back to help his aches.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My parents 20 year old hedge took a beating in the January 2010 cold snap and the December 2010 freezeup finished it proper. Cue a mini digger to take it out soon and a new stone wall to be built instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

I have the same problem with my escallonia - which I have for about 10 yrs. I'm living in hope every time I look at it that I will see some new buds but I know in my heart its as dead as a dodo.
    I have quite a long hedge - does anyone have any suggestions on what I should plant instead? Thanks

Kdylass wrote: »
    I have the same problem with my escallonia - which I have for about 10 yrs. I'm living in hope every time I look at it that I will see some new buds but I know in my heart its as dead as a dodo.
    I have quite a long hedge - does anyone have any suggestions on what I should plant instead? Thanks

I'm just going to bite the bullet and cut them down. :mad:

Think i'll just plant them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I have grisellinea and they are definetly dead. I also have escallonia which have started new growth at the bottom, they are 5ft high we will cut them back this year and see what happens, if the frost kills them again next year I have decided to replant with laurel which doesnt seem to have taken a beating.
    Btw there doesnt seem to be a lot of point in replanting with the same hedging that has proven not to be resistant to frost, it would be much better to plant something hardier ie beech, laurel, holly.

I have grisellinea and they are definetly dead. I also have escallonia which have started new growth at the bottom, they are 5ft high we will cut them back this year and see what happens, if the frost kills them again next year I have decided to replant with laurel which doesnt seem to have taken a beating.
    Btw there doesnt seem to be a lot of point in replanting with the same hedging that has proven not to be resistant to frost, it would be much better to plant something hardier ie beech, laurel, holly.

Hoping this years weather was unique :o

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I noticed where I live, the only griselinia that were affected appear to be the ones that were trimmed back late in the year (October). My neighbours is destroyed and mine is perfect. In fact I have noticed it around lots of the houses, the neat looking ones have all died back.

The lavender here is fine as well, I never cut anything back till after the winter. The crocuses were there best this year, not sure if that prolonged cold spell helped them.

Advertisement