Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing maths teachers

• 13-01-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

In the last few days I have been forced to change maths teacher. I was originally in the honours maths class at the start of fifth year but moved down in November 2009. The pass maths class was very big and after most people dropped honours there is only one person left doing it. So the principal decided that the pass class was way too big to have more people added to it and made all of the original honours class who had moved down to pass move to the honours class, this is only about five people. The maths teacher we have had for the last year is a great teacher and we were all used to his teaching style, but after a few days in the new class I don't think this new teacher is any good. I think It's very unfair to do this only a few months away from the Leaving Cert! Do you think that Changing teachers at this stage would have a bad effect on the actual exam? :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Iv had 5 geography teachers in the length of the geography course. And yes I think it did adversely affect how we are learning this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭doc_17

So are you saying that they are making you do the higher level paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Your parents pay these teachers wages. In my cousin's school the youngest teacher was only part-time and was being let go until the parents kicked up a serious fuss, she's there this year full-time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

babynice wrote: »
    In the last few days I have been forced to change maths teacher. I was originally in the honours maths class at the start of fifth year but moved down in November 2009. The pass maths class was very big and after most people dropped honours there is only one person left doing it. So the principal decided that the pass class was way too big to have more people added to it and made all of the original honours class who had moved down to pass move to the honours class, this is only about five people. The maths teacher we have had for the last year is a great teacher and we were all used to his teaching style, but after a few days in the new class I don't think this new teacher is any good. I think It's very unfair to do this only a few months away from the Leaving Cert! Do you think that Changing teachers at this stage would have a bad effect on the actual exam? :-(

It depends really on what position you're in.

It would seem from your post that you are in a class of 5 now instead of a large pass class which I assume had 24 or more in it. In a small class you should get plenty of individual attention.

You don't mention if you are now following the honours course which is being taught to this one remaining student at higher level and the other four students are just supposed to meander along and pick up what is relevant to ordinary level or whether you are being taught the OL course in this new class.

You also don't mention if you have finished your course or not or if you are doing revision, or why you don't think this teacher is any good.

It's all a bit vague really.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

Sorry about it being so vague! I was half asleep writing that. Anyway, I would still be doing ordinary level but with one honours person in the class. But is doesn't matter now because we got it sorted out, we were allowed to go back to our original teacher. Thanks to everyone for their replies though. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement