Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC for after effects

Options
  • 13-01-2011 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just looking into getting a new PC and see there are new motherboards and chips out, 1155 P67?? I wasn't even aware of these things coming out. Are they a big advance, is it worth going for those new motherboards to future prof?

The new computer will be general purpose main machine but I will be using after effects and première on it so it'll need plenty of RAM and I think there's a relationship between Adobe and Nvidia they're graphics cards are recommended by Adobe.

I'll also want to be able to play any games on it.

I already have monitor (1920x1200) speakers, keyboard etc. I have an SSD hard drive that I want to move with Windows 7 but I'm not sure if I can move it to a new motherboard, it's the ultimate version I got it at the launch.

Budget is €1000 - €1200. It's going to be a work PC as well so I'm all for quality components and I'm hoping to get another 6 years of service out of this new PC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have an SSD hard drive that I want to move with Windows 7 but I'm not sure if I can move it to a new motherboard, it's the ultimate version I got it at the launch.
    You cant unfortunately. You'll have to budget for Win7 64 Pro/Ult.
    The new computer will be general purpose main machine but I will be using after effects and première on it so it'll need plenty of RAM and I think there's a relationship between Adobe and Nvidia they're graphics cards are recommended by Adobe.
    You'll be looking for a fast i7, 8GB DDR3, probably a pair of 1TB drives(2 pairs if you want RAID redundancy) and a CUDA enabled GPU. Depending on how the budget works out you're probably looking at a GTX470. A 580 is the new bad boy but its over a third of your budget so wont really fly.

Go here and mock up a build, post back and the guys who really know their stuff(not me) will give you advice.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shyte. :(

Here's the first stab at it, I've just done the basics for now MB, CPU and RAM, will go back to hard drives and OS later.
    doodle.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

ScumLord wrote: »

Here's the first stab at it, I've just done the basics for now MB, CPU and RAM, will go back to hard drives and OS later.

It needs to be 8 or 16 gigs of ram as sandybridge is "dual channel" not "triple".

If you want to save some cash this seems to be a popular choice of mobo so far.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41296&agid=1601

If you plan on overclocking get the 2600k instead as it has an unlocked multi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

He can, he'll just have to re-authenticate it by ringing up a toll-free number, or so I've been told.

EDIT: Retail versions are apparently unaffected by hardware changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

He can, he'll just have to re-authenticate it by ringing up a toll-free number, or so I've been told.

100% correct :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I read the OP as it being OEM. If its retail its no problem(with the exception of MSDNAA keys:rolleyes:).

I know the manufacturer can allow you to change mobo, but will they do that if its not due to a hardware failure?(Little bit of twisting the truth on the phone).

I read the OP as it being OEM. If its retail its no problem(with the exception of MSDNAA keys:rolleyes:).

I know the manufacturer can allow you to change mobo, but will they do that if its not due to a hardware failure?(Little bit of twisting the truth on the phone).

From what I heard, you just ring up the number and follow the steps they give you. I've heard from some people that you will have to lie be economical with the truth if they ask why has the hardware been changed (I would just say spilled coffee, so I took this as an opportunity to upgrade) :)

I don't think I'll do much over clocking, I had planed to do it with this PC (and still might) but I never had the balls to go through with it, didn't want to risk my one and only. :o

I'm not sure what version of Win7 it is, oem or retail, I got it for free at the launch of windows 7, I was invited through work. If it's retail I suppose it would be bad practice to just plug the SSD into the new PC parts without formatting and reinstalling?

I don't think I'll do much over clocking, I had planed to do it with this PC (and still might) but I never had the balls to go through with it, didn't want to risk my one and only. :o

I'm not sure what version of Win7 it is, oem or retail, I got it for free at the launch of windows 7, I was invited through work. If it's retail I suppose it would be bad practice to just plug the SSD into the new PC parts without formatting and reinstalling?

There's not much of a risk to overclocking, at least, none that I can think of other than a warmer PC and slightly larger electricity bill.

There's not much of a risk to overclocking, at least, none that I can think of other than a warmer PC and slightly larger electricity bill.
    My PC is the centre of my entertainment world, if it's offline I have no TV, radio or anything I tried a few times but couldn't go without. With a new PC I'll be able to try overclocking out on the old PC first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I am pretty certain that they always give retail versions at launches so there should be no for recounting tall tales of coffee spilling down the telephone. :)

What about this? I've never heard of "super flower" before are they any good?
    hardwareversandde-Mybasket.png

I've not read up on those pus's but there getting reccomended alot here.

That mobo i suggested i'd would be weary about now :o

It seems the Asus boards are have some issues with the bios and even updating it isnt helping.I'd imagine they will sort it quickly enough though.
    To be fair though they have sold alot of boards so theres bound to be some with issues.

Rest of the build looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Go for the amazon series of the super flowers, IMO.
    If you're not ordering soon, consider the modular 650W antec (currently out of stock) for €5 more.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31373

A lot of these programs are not that heavy on a GPU. You also said that you'd do some gaming. While the 470 makes more sense at that resolution for games, the more efficient 460 might suit better your overall needs. Rumours have it that the 560 is coming out at the start of February.

I wouldn't do a whole lot of gaming these days outside of GTA4 and ARMA2 but both games are hogs, I just don't have the time for games these days they've become far to involved.
    If I'm not going to notice to much difference between the 460 and 470 I'd go for the 460. If it's an improvement on my current card (HD4850) I'll probably be happy enough.

What about this one?
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=36566&agid=707

Amazon power supply does look like it's got more connectors for drives I'll switch to that one.

Last pick I think, unless I've made a bad choice on something.

I'm not sure about the ram, whether it's the right type and I'm a bit worried about the motherboard due to game4it70 warning but other than that I like the look of it. I do have room to go for the deluxe version of the same board if there is any advantage to it, maybe it doesn't suffer the same problems as the pro??

doodle-1.jpg

Over all it seems like a pretty good deal for that much power.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I don't think there is much point in laying down €150 bucks on a board if you will neither be overclocking or running dual GPUs, getting the deluxe version would only be throwing even more good money away frankly. (I presume the Asus is in there, can't see the image where I am, some picture hosting sites blocked) I'd roll with the cheaper Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 for €33 less myself

The asus was in there. I may well overclock seeing as the Bios is much friendlier in the Asus (mouse based). But I also note that the Gigabyte board doesn't have firewire which is also essential so I can get video off the camera and into after effects.

The asus was in there. I may well overclock seeing as the Bios is much friendlier in the Asus (mouse based). But I also note that the Gigabyte board doesn't have firewire which is also essential so I can get video off the camera and into after effects.

Ah didn't realise that firewire was essential, just like to see people get the best value for money where in these recessionary times. :) I am sure even the ASUS has bios issues they have been be sorted by the time it gets delivered to you. I notice even the next Gigabyte GA-P67-UD4 doesn't have firewire either (unlike the P55 versions) so is not an option anyway.

EDIT: In fact they was a Bios update released just yesterday for those boards.

Build looks spot on now and as Marco says there should be a bios fix out soon enough if the ones linked dont work.

But hey chances are your mobo will be fine anyway :)

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    Build looks spot on now and as Marco says there should be a bios fix out soon enough if the ones linked dont work.

But hey chances are your mobo will be fine anyway :)
    Not if Murphy and his law has anything to do with it. :D

A silly assumption on my part that the 12gb would be 4 sticks means one of my 4gb sticks of ram is sitting idle. I'm guessing it's best to get another stick of ram now while I still can but it's looking like I'll pay over half the price of the 12gb just to get one 4gb module.

The cheapest I've found is ebuyer (taking into account the €30 shipping cost on hardwareversand) at £55 delivered.

That is the same ram as this one that I bought off hardwareversand?

Other than that build went off without a hitch, makes a huge difference buying quality parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Advertisement