Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recomendations required

• 13-01-2011 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have been researching this for the last few months and I am as lost as ever. What I want to do is have a device that will act as a central storage for my data in the house. I want to enable the device to backup 2 pcs and 2 laptops in the house, stream to an apple tv and also allow me to access the data from abroad but also to allow me to hopefully backup my laptop from abroad.

In the future I will probably be looking for this to connect to the likes of a PS3 and Xbox etc.

I am looking for at least 4Tb of space but would prefer if I could add to this in the future.

I am not sure if I should be looking at a server, a NAS device or what exactly.

I was origionally looking at a Windows Home Server setup but it looks like this may be dying a death with HP and others pulling out of the market.

I am not sure if a NAS will allow me the remote access I need?
    EDIT: One thing that has caught my eye is the danelec my ditto but i am a bit wary of it, especially due to the restricted drive space and the power of the device. What are peoples opinion on it?
    Any help would be great, I am hoping to get this up and running soon as I will be going to college in America at the end of the summer and want to have everything running smoothly over here before I go. I will hopefully accessing this in America and backing up to this from America too.

Advertisement