Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eamon Ryan calls for Patrick's Day role for President and Opposition leaders

• 13-01-2011 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Green Party Minister Eamon Ryan TD has proposed that President McAleese and Opposition leaders should be involved in representing Ireland abroad on St Patrick’s Day, if the national holiday occurs during the election campaign.

Traditionally Mrs McAleese has remained at home most years during her Presidency on 17th March - to officiate at functions and parades here.

More in The Irish Times article here

I think this is a very good proposal, not just because we'll probably be in the middle of an election campaign, but because it's only fair that other elected leaders, representatives of other political parties and community organisations be allowed to promote Ireland abroad on our national day of celebration and not just Ministers from government parties and government officials.

There's no reason that I can think of why President McAleese, Enda Kenny, Eamon Gilmore, Gerry Adams and others should not be part of the official delegation travelling to places like mainland Europe, USA, Australia etc., where we have strong connections and diaspora and to India, China, Russia etc., where we are developing strong trade links.

What do people think of this idea? Will the Taoiseach and Fianna Fáilers want to have the White House bowl of shamrock photo-op all to themselves?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the party in power should represent the country. mary can do what she wishes imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I think Ryan needs to STFU, pull his finger out and sort out this countries terrible broadband infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Eamon Ryan is a prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Only if we can pick where Eamon Ryan goes. How about Darfur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I agree, let the President go to the USA and other ministers deal with the other countries.

The Taoiseach, however, is grounded and has to stay here and watch our shít parade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Perhaps After Hours was the wrong forum to post this and to expect topical replies :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I would prefer if they cut out these foreign junkets and stayed at home on St Patricks Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

OisinT wrote: »
    I agree, let the President go to the USA and other ministers deal with the other countries.

The Taoiseach, however, is grounded and has to stay here and watch our shít parade.

Yep :) We have some really good parades here in recent years, though.

How about making Mr Cowen stay at home instead? Or sit in the National Gallery for a few hours? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Eamon Ryan is a prick.

If ever there was a petition that would garner 100% support, there be the statement atop the page...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Who's gonna pay for all this shit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

mikom wrote: »
    Who's gonna pay for all this shit?

Travelodge rates are very reasonable imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

president might aswell go, unless she supposed to keep he head down during elections...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Perhaps After Hours was the wrong forum to post this and to expect topical replies :rolleyes:

True

PM me if you'd like the crap cleaned out of this thread and it moved to another forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement