Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Inis Mor / Galway

• 13-01-2011 2:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'm finding it difficult enough to get info on Inis Mor, we are hoping to go in October for 3 or 4 nights. I know it's REALLY early, but I do have a reason for looking so early.

Would you recommend flying or the ferry. The costs are not hugely different. I'm thinking that the small plane would be a novelty and my husband would love it, but I don't fly very well. Does it tend to be a comfortable (ten min:o) flight? Is it worth the views?

We would like nice accom, I'm not really interested in a small family run B&B, we would like a bit more privacy, so perhaps a self catering house, or a larger hotel. We would like an atlantic view, but I'm sure most places on the island offer that?

What are the dining options like? Both casual, and more special places?

Is there a taxi company if needed? Or would it be safe to have a few drinks then walk home (roads very dark?).

Anything else you would think important to mention, please do :)

EDIT: Would you think a day trip to the Island would be better, then spend the rest of the time in Galway? If so where would you recommend to stay/eat etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 TrafficBug

I recommend you fly to Galway then get a mini aircraft to the island. Are you bringing someone special:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Would you recommend flying or the ferry. The costs are not hugely different. I'm thinking that the small plane would be a novelty and my husband would love it, but I don't fly very well. Does it tend to be a comfortable (ten min:o) flight? Is it worth the views?
    Flying for the novelty factor, views are great on a good day.

We would like nice accom, I'm not really interested in a small family run B&B, we would like a bit more privacy, so perhaps a self catering house, or a larger hotel. We would like an atlantic view, but I'm sure most places on the island offer that?
    Inishmore hotels are good afaik. More reviews here

What are the dining options like? Both casual, and more special places?
    There are dining in the hotels and pubs. Usually good food.

Is there a taxi company if needed? Or would it be safe to have a few drinks then walk home (roads very dark?).
    There is a taxi service but I just walk, the island is smallish and good for walking or bikes.

EDIT: Would you think a day trip to the Island would be better, then spend the rest of the time in Galway? If so where would you recommend to stay/eat etc.
    Go out to the island during the day and stay one, maybe two nights, come back the next day and stay in Galway city.
    If you search this forum there are plenty of stuff to do in the city. You can also search the Galway City forum
    Have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭prionnsias

There is only one hotel on the island which is the aran islands hotel. They close for a few months each year so check before you go. They can pick you up from the ferry or plane if you let them know beforehand. There is also the pierhouse guesthouse which is almost as big as a hotel and that's in front of pier so there is no need to get a taxi. All of the pubs are in the village so there is no need to get a taxi to move about. If your going in October try to be there for Halloween night as many of the locals dress up and try to keep their identities secret from each other they seem to take it pretty serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

we stayed in tigh fitzpatrick if I remember correctly.
    fairly big guesthouse. there is a hotel on the island although it's not open all year AFAIK
    the american bar is good for a few drinks.

I'd say one night there is enough TBH, spend more time in galway city!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Although a beautiful but small island, I wouldn't spend more than a few hours cycling around, or max 1 Overnight. Not sure if Oct would be a good time to visit?

Facilities and options are very limited, there's a hackney (Transit van service), the pubs looked pretty bland and the B&Bs typical of seaside types!

All in all, one couldn't help feel, the honey pot approach by locals, 'get as much' from visitors, service etc came second.

• Advertisement
Advertisement