Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB v Road bike (for a commuter)

• 13-01-2011 3:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭

currenty riding a cheap mtb for a 5k commute and the occasional 30k cycle and was wonder how muck time and effort a good road bike would save me.also how much faster i a top speed i would achieve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

breezy1985 wrote: »
    currenty riding a cheap mtb for a 5k commute and the occasional 30k cycle and was wonder how muck time and effort a good road bike would save me.also how much faster i a top speed i would achieve

Depends on how fast you cycle in some ways.
    Why not get a loan of a road bike off someone and try it on your commute a few days? You may be in for a nasty surprise with the state of the roads.
    Thinking of getting a suspension saddle for my (non-sus) mtb to cope a bit better with the craters, potholes and canyons round dublin town.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

At least change your MTB tires for road ones. The difference is massive.

I'm fairly sure the gearing on a road bike is set up for better cruising speeds and possibly the frame geometry is more suited to long distance cycling.

Am interested to here what the roadies have to say as my commute has at least doubled and doubting my MTB will be a comfortable ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

I've been commuting on a mountain bike for the last 6 years, a 25K round trip - personally, I think it's the only way to go in Dublin, given the lamentable state of the roads/cycle lanes.
    And the amount of crap on the roads is ten times worse now after the recent cold spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Road bike is the best, hands down. The roads are crap, yes, but just watch the road and navigating the right line and the road bike is fine.

I've done 3 years in Dublin on an MTB and 1.5 years on a road bike. Just can't beat the road bike overall.

MTB
    Pros:
    - Suspension is more comfy
    - Wider tyres (even slick ones) are more stable when there's grit/gravel around
    Cons:
    - Flat or riser bars increase your wind resistance massively
    - Wider tyres increase rolling resistance
    - Wider tyres == more puncture prone

Road
    Pros:
    - Overall more streamlined geometry and drop bars reduces wind resistance. Hugely.
    - Thinner tyres == less rolling resistance
    - Less puncture prone.
    - More stable in the corners than knobbly tyres
    Cons:
    - Less comfortable
    - Dangerous in icy conditions, unusable in snow
    - Creates unnatural desire to spend money and wear lycra in public

Personally, the difference in wind resistance alone is enough to make me say Road > MTB for commuting.

A good hybrid with drop bars is the best compromise if you're not doing serious mileage at the weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

A road / hybrid bike will be significantly faster.

But you can improve your lot immensely, as has been said, by fitting skinnier tires to your mountain bike. - I used "fatboy" tires on a mountain bike around Dublin for years, and they were fantastic. There's nothing worse than the loud humming road noise of knobbly mtb tires on tarmac, that's the sound of all your expended energy dissipating away! :).

Here are those tires: http://www.bikepro.com/products/tires/spec_narrow.html

At the time, I bought them in cycleways on Parnell street. They weren't cheap, but good tires never are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

road bike - end of. There is a reason they call them road bikes and mountain bikes. if you dont like drops, go for a hybrid, but a mtb with suspension commuting is a waste of energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Seamus nailed it. No more to be said.

As an aside, I use the MTB when it's icy/snow. I move that slowly compared to the road bike that I sometimes bring small traffic cones to place around myself to warn approaching traffic that I am a stationary object on the road. And the tyre noise sounds like you are being chased by a swarm of bees. MTB only in an emergency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Road bike! PERIOD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

For a 5km commute either bike will do fine. MTB's are less aerodynamic and require a bit more energy to move them but a combination of a good road setup on the MTB (no suspension, good bike fit, narrow tyres, sensible gear ratios, etc.) and a good level of fitness will narrow the performance gap between an MTB and a road bike by a lot. Over a 30k ride the difference will be more noticeable but still not ridiculous and you'll get more exercise in for the same distance compared to on a road bike.

For me, an 11km commute on my MTB with slicks is only marginally slower than on my road bike. I'm currently commuting with 1.75" studded tyres on my MTB and that has added further to how long the journey takes, but over that distance the difference is only a few minutes so nothing that I would consider particularly significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

If the road on your particular commute is decent then a road/hybrid bike would be best. I use a hybrid for my commute every day (9/10 miles depending on the day) and have found it excellent, including taking my son to nursery on it three days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

i do serious km's per day and ive just about ridden them all,road bikes are usless in dublin well with sub 32 tyres they are hybrids are ok but i love MTB i currently have a gt timberline that i recently acquired its on a 1.25 on the front and a 1.5 on the front both slicks,its comfortable stable strong and fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

road bikes are usless in dublin well with sub 32 tyres they are

That's patently ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

i do serious km's per day and ive just about ridden them all,road bikes are usless in dublin well with sub 32 tyres they are hybrids are ok but i love MTB i currently have a gt timberline that i recently acquired its on a 1.25 on the front and a 1.5 on the front both slicks,its comfortable stable strong and fast

You know those wee decimal point things can be used as full stops too? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Road bike, I find it more comfortable than a mountain bike because you've got multiple riding positions with the drop bars. I frequently ride rutted, grass-down the middle bog roads in normal (ie non-padded) pants and although it's no fun going the edge of a big pot-hole for the most part I don't find it uncomfortable.

I love mountain biking but on the road the road bike is just so much more fun and more satisfying.

Raam wrote: »
    That's patently ridiculous.

small skinny wheels with tiny skinny tyres are useless in dublin if your a big bloke which i am.you will get sick of putting dings in rims thus 32mm tyres sorts this nicely and i still manage to smoke past people with skinny tyres, lyrcra and two grand worth of a bike between thier legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Cycle around the pot holes !

small skinny wheels with tiny skinny tyres are useless in dublin if your a big bloke which i am.you will get sick of putting dings in rims thus 32mm tyres sorts this nicely and i still manage to smoke past people with skinny tyres, lyrcra and two grand worth of a bike between thier legs

Can we please not dredge up the nonsense stereotypical view that lycra and/or an expensive bike = a good/fast cyclist. Neither do skinny tyres make someone a fast cyclist, as such. I'm sure that Brian Cowen could afford a very expensive skinny-tyre'ed bike, and could probably squeeze into lycra, but you wouldn't really expect him to be a decent or fast cyclist based simply on those three things.

I'll leave you with that image of Cowen crowbar'ing himself into lycra, you've only yourself to blame.

you will get sick of putting dings in rims
    If your rims at any point ever make contact with anything except the brake pads, you're doing it wrong.

No matter how big you are, I can guarantee you that bigger guys than you, have and do commute on road bikes every day without problem.

Somebody clearly forgot to tell these guys that a road bike is unsuitable for "bumpy" roads. What are they thinking?:

roubaix10-CANCELLARA-IN-ARENBERG.jpg

And you'd think yer man in front here would know better than to think that he could go fast on a mountain bike on the road. And he's got knobbly tyres on and everything, tsk:

lance-armstrong-2009-8-15-14-43-20.jpg

It really is all about the bike, as shown by this chancer who was spotted bring dropped early on in a local amateur bike race 'cos his bike was crap:

21lede_jens-custom1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

I do seem to remember a certain mountain biker beating a certain roadie on a coastal challenge for bragging rights here...

poochiem wrote: »
    I do seem to remember a certain mountain biker beating a certain roadie on a coastal challenge for bragging rights here...

With huge caveats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

With huge caveats.

must get some of those huge caveats, any specific training for that ?

must get some of those huge caveats, any specific training for that ?

Eat more ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Eat more ;)

But then you'll be too fat for a road bike on girly tyres.

Lumen wrote: »
    But then you'll be too fat for a road bike on girly tyres.

I'll have to use my MTB instead then. You know, for jumping up and down curbs and riding on the footpad and breaking red lights because it's safer.

Gavin wrote: »
    Cycle around the pot holes !

..and disintegrating speedbumps, raised manhole covers, drains, piles of grit/sand etc?

...while also keeping a close eye on the truck behind you?

A significant advantage to using a mtb (no suspension, slicks, road cogs) for commuting is that you are free to focus your attention more on the traffic around you, and keeping safe, rather than the next pothole damaging your bike, imo.

But if you have a long commute on a good road surface, then undeniably a roadie might suit better.

seeing_ie wrote: »
    ..and disintegrating speedbumps, raised manhole covers, drains, piles of grit/sand etc?

A significant advantage to using a mtb (no suspension, slicks, road cogs) for commuting is that you are free to focus your attention more on the traffic around you, and keeping safe, rather than the next pothole damaging your bike, imo.

But if you have a long commute on a good road surface, then undeniably a roadie might suit better.

+1

someone else speaks sense

You should be cycling at least a metre from the kerb in any event, which will keep you out of the way of all but the craziest drains, piles of grit and manhole covers.

Disintegrating speedbumps? Once you're out of the very suburban areas and onto main roads, speedbumps are few and far between.
    Funnily enough, it's never been an issue. If you're watching the road correctly, you should have ample time to spot the hazard, check over your shoulder and then take evasive action.
    In any case, you should always have a good idea of what's behind you by checking over your shoulder every few seconds and using your ears.

I wouldn't be saying this if I honestly didn't think it was true. Hundreds (if not thousands) of cyclists take to Ireland's main roads and back roads every weekend on road bikes, and while they will complain about the state of the roads, we still have very few serious accidents.
    An MTB is undeniably more comfortable, but I don't really buy the safety argument.

If your commute is less than 5k, then an MTB will work. Over 5k, it will start to suck the life out of you, no joking. I did it for 4 years and I reckon I dreaded the commute probably 10% of the time. Since I got my road bike, I'm practically impatient for work to finish so I can jump on the bike (and I do like work). I've been back on the MTB since the snow at the end of November, and I can feel the "this is gonna be a bastard commute" attitude drifting back in.

All that said, if I had room for more bikes, I would buy a hybrid with drop bars and slightly larger tyres - probably 30c. This would give me the best of both and save my road bike for the serious weekend mileage.

• Advertisement

You would be surprised with how much this becomes second nature as you gain experience, regardless of bicycle type.

Personally, I don't give a rat's what anyone else cycles, but to suggest (I know you didn't say this, I'm just getting in there before anyone does say it) that road bikes cannot be used to effectively negotiate our country's roads is laughable at best.

seamus wrote: »
    You should be cycling at least a metre from the kerb in any event, which will keep you out of the way of all but the craziest drains, piles of grit and manhole covers.

I'm as militant as the next guy and have no problem taking the lane, but it's not always practical or safe imo. As for the manhole covers, this raised manhole cover nearly had me off the bike in the dark one night and probably would have damaged a road wheel. It's in the middle of the cycle track. Reported it too.
    Disintegrating speedbumps?

Yes. Thought I'd have to stop and carry going over this and that (they've been badly eroded since the photos). Can't imagine them at any speed on a roadie.

Once you're out of the very suburban areas and onto main roads, speedbumps are few and far between.

Agreed. The majority of my cycling is city centre and suburbs though, as are the majority of cycle journeys I'd guess.
    Funnily enough, it's never been an issue. If you're watching the road correctly, you should have ample time to spot the hazard, check over your shoulder and then take evasive action.
    In any case, you should always have a good idea of what's behind you by checking over your shoulder every few seconds and using your ears.

Using your ears? checking over you shoulder? Duly noted, in my book of the beedin' obvious:D
    If I'm coming down Lord Edward St. from Christchurch (for example), matching traffic speed, possibly taking the lane and possibly changing lanes, my full attention is on the traffic around me. I don't want to have to dodge this weeks pothole or badly-repaired works.
    I also want mtb maneuverability and plenty of rubber on the road.
    I wouldn't be saying this if I honestly didn't think it was true. Hundreds (if not thousands) of cyclists take to Ireland's main roads and back roads every weekend on road bikes, and while they will complain about the state of the roads, we still have very few serious accidents.
    An MTB is undeniably more comfortable, but I don't really buy the safety argument.

...and on Ireland's main roads and back roads maybe a roadie is best over longer distances on a decent surface. I'd guess that the majority of cycle journeys are within urban areas though.
    If your commute is less than 5k, then an MTB will work. Over 5k, it will start to suck the life out of you, no joking. I did it for 4 years and I reckon I dreaded the commute probably 10% of the time. Since I got my road bike, I'm practically impatient for work to finish so I can jump on the bike (and I do like work). I've been back on the MTB since the snow at the end of November, and I can feel the "this is gonna be a bastard commute" attitude drifting back in.

Disagree there. My longest commutes have been city to sandyford, 12k each way, and city to Newcastle, 19k each way. Both on mtbs (slicks, no suspension, road cogs). Never dreaded either, although wasn't very chipper in the rain.
    All that said, if I had room for more bikes, I would buy a hybrid with drop bars and slightly larger tyres - probably 30c. This would give me the best of both and save my road bike for the serious weekend mileage.

Yeah, Id like a selection to choose from too:D Mine gets used for everything. Weekly grocery shopping (with an 80l rucksack), trips to the pub, commuting, the lot.
    You would be surprised with how much this becomes second nature as you gain experience, regardless of bicycle type.

I certainly was surprised, when I figured this out at age 6:pac:
    Personally, I don't give a rat's what anyone else cycles, but to suggest (I know you didn't say this, I'm just getting in there before anyone does say it) that road bikes cannot be used to effectively negotiate our country's roads is laughable at best.

I suppose my point is that for the majority of journeys, a properly adapted mtb can be used to more effectively negotiate our country's roads.
    If you're out for a 60k training spin though, or live in a country with decent roads, then a roadie it is.

stuff

Your detailed rebuttal fails to address the fact that plenty of people commute long distances on crappy roads on road bikes, with no safety or comfort issues at all.

As for not seeing that raised manhole cover, get some proper lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

If your rims at any point ever make contact with anything except the brake pads, you're doing it wrong.

No matter how big you are, I can guarantee you that bigger guys than you, have and do commute on road bikes every day without problem.

I'm quite a big guy (6'5" and about 95kg) and commute to work on a road bike (with flat bars). My commute is within the city centre. Once you're aware of your surroundings there should be no issues. Hell, even someone on a mtb would have trouble if they cycled through all the potholes and rough patches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

There was a cyclocross bike on display at a new bike shop that opened in Cork over the weekend. Fitted with semi-slicks (or at least not-overly knobbly tyres), it would make a mean commuting machine for Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Oh, whatever you choose some good puncture resistant tyres are a necessity. I have schwalbe marathon plus on mine and no punctures yet. Although knowing my luck ill get one on the way home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Has anyone seen blackhorse avenue or chesterfield avenue after the snow. They are in state worse than I've even seen any road in ireland, yet I am still able to cycle these all week on 23's without an issue. despite dublins roads i haven't had a puncture in about 8 months, and that was because my tyres were wrecked!
    As has been said, to say mtb tyres are better for going through pot holes it true, but to say road bikes cant is false.
    Road bike all the way.

Ps. did anyone mention cyclocross yet, best of both, change your tyres when you feel the need.

A cyclocross bike is a reasonable compromise if you can only have one bike.

With space/budget for two bikes, an MTB and a road bike is arguably better if you absolutely have to ride in all weathers.

Obviously depends on how much/what type of off-roading is planned.

More bikes is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Ps. did anyone mention cyclocross yet, best of both, change your tyres when you feel the need.

Yes, I did two replies previously :)

Advertisement