Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbour...with a twist

Options
  • 13-01-2011 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

So it is 2.30am. I have an apartment that I pay close to 800 euro a month for (I know, I know). The problem is the neighbour that shares a bedroom wall with me (not my landlord's tenant) snores extremely loudly. He also makes a strange wail every 20 minutes or so. I am guessing he is quite elderly from the sounds of things. Is there anything I can do? I e-mailed my landlord but to be honest what can they do?

Mare!

ETA: It is one of those attached Georgian houses converted into apartments to clarify

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

earplugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

posy2010 wrote: »
    So it is 2.30am. I have an apartment that I pay close to 800 euro a month for (I know, I know). The problem is the neighbour that shares a bedroom wall with me (not my landlord's tenant) snores extremely loudly. He also makes a strange wail every 20 minutes or so. I am guessing he is quite elderly from the sounds of things. Is there anything I can do? I e-mailed my landlord but to be honest what can they do?

Mare!

ETA: It is one of those attached Georgian houses converted into apartments to clarify

Seriously did you actually email your landlord about your neighbour's snoring???!! sorry, but I am in knots laughing about this.

What on earth do you expect your landlord to do about it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Why don't you move?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Casey_81 wrote: »
    Why don't you move?

This is not the solution to every single problem you have with where you are staying. Maybe the OP really likes where they live etc. and the don't want to move.

Suggesting they move is ridiculous. OP, I suggest you get yourself some earplugs as someone already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

See would the landlord install some Peacemaker acoustic panels on the party wall or invest yourself. You can take it with you if you move.
    http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/sound-insulation-sound-proof-material-soundproofing-insulation.aspx
    I sympthiaise fully with you...it is horrible listening to others noise, especially if it is repetitive. I would look on this as being as important as a sound system if I lived in an apartment again. It also works the other way too allowing you to up the volume a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Darlughda wrote: »
    Seriously did you actually email your landlord about your neighbour's snoring???!! sorry, but I am in knots laughing about this.

What on earth do you expect your landlord to do about it? :pac:

Actually as I mentioned the man also appears to be letting out a cry while he snores and sounds quite obviously elderly. In the e-mail, I said the snoring cannot be helped but it was actually concern. Glad I could provide a laugh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

new-jack-city.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I don't think you can do anything about the neighbour, which leaves three options:
    - Earplugs
    - Moving bedrooms (can you switch it with the livingroom or is there a spare bedroom?)
    - Moving house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Hey OP, give this a lash - www.simplynoise.com its free to use while running from a browser of fairly cheap to download if you like. It has a few different types of "white" noise that may work for you to drown out your neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

silja wrote: »
    I don't think you can do anything about the neighbour, which leaves three options:
    - Earplugs
    - Moving bedrooms (can you switch it with the livingroom or is there a spare bedroom?)
    - Moving house

Cheers for this. Thinking of a white noise thing like a fan or earplugs. As I stated it was more the anguished cries. Not pleasant to hear and concerning :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭cancercowboy

Move. You're entitled to the quiet enjoyment of your home by law and you're not getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Install vick's vapo rub in the ventilation system

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I got a white noise (well grey noise actually) track on iTunes for 99c and gave it a go last night - I have a similar problem tho without the cries - worked pretty well until the fella downstairs went supersonic with the snoring. First night without earplugs in a long time - definitely worth a try

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Insurgent wrote: »
    This is not the solution to every single problem you have with where you are staying. Maybe the OP really likes where they live etc. and the don't want to move.

Suggesting they move is ridiculous. OP, I suggest you get yourself some earplugs as someone already mentioned.

I have to disagree. It is a renter's market out there at the moment. It's not that big of a deal to move.

What is more important, liking your place or being able to get a good night's sleep? Lack of sleep and tiredness can affect energy levels, ability to concentrate/work etc. and can have serious consequences.

Your landlord is under no obligation to do anything.

Try a few gimmicky things like what have been suggested. However if these don't work I would get on daft.ie asap..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might mention it to him - sensatively. He might be completely oblivious to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 chrisxii

when you see your neighbour explain you are concerned about their health and suggest a remedy

Advertisement