Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got shafted by the ESB

Options
  • 13-01-2011 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi folks new here and looking for anybody in a similar position

My story goes as follows,
    In 2005 I bought an old rural property,an old stone cottage,all in reasonable repair and liveable with running water,power etc.

The masterplan was to renovate the cottage,sell it and retain and biuld on half an acre of land included in the sale.Due to work and money it was 2007 before work started on stripping out the old cottage.One of the first things done was to ring the ESB and request the power to be disconnected to make it safe for workers to strip the roof etc.After a quick phone call,ESB were vans on site,power disconnected,all hunky dorey and me a very happy customer.
    Move on 10 months and I have lost my business and am working for a company who is one the brink of closure so work was halted on the cottage until things improved.Both my partner and I decided the outlook was bleak so a move to New Zealand was planned and executed.
    Fast forward to May 2010 and my partner wants to move back to Ireland as she misses family etc which in alot of ways suits us both so once back here we find ourselves in a position to continue work on the old house with a view to completing it and living there as the selling part of the equation was never going to happen in the recession.
    We were on the home straight in October and me being all organised for once in my life decide to phone the ESB to get an idea of what is involved in getting reconnected.
    Two phonecalls later they have reassured me once I get the new electrical work certifed safe and the cert sent to them it would be reconnected for 99euro within 48hrs.Again I am a happy customer..........but not for long.

D day arrives,the house is certified and the cert is sent to the ESB followed by a letter from the ESB to say they will be on site in 48hrs.
    That 48hrs came and went so I phoned to see what was the delay only to be told that because the house had been disconnected for over 2 years it would now cost 1,644 euro and would take upto 12 weeks to connect the power because I was now classed as a new connection :mad:

I have spent hours on the phone since asking them how this silly rule can cost me an extra 1,544 euro just because of a date,its still the same house in the same place using the same power poles :confused:

I do intend to take this further,I believe the ESB regulator is the person I need to shoot,sorry talk to.

Has anybody else on here ever had the same problem or in general just got "done" by these cowboys?

Sorry for the biography and looking forward to your comments

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Your best bet is to talk to the CER - the Commission for Energy Regulation. The division of ESB you are dealing with are ESB Networks, who own and operate the distribution grid (and so can supply electricity from any of the suppliers - ESB Power Gen, BGE Airtricity etc). They have a set of rules around grid access that have to be agreed with the CER - do you have a copy?

Edit - forgot to say,if you're the same Grasshopper that I'm thinking off, I'm a fan of your work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I think the good folks over on the Construction and Planning forum might be a better help to you. Thread moved from Infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Grass Hopper

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Your best bet is to talk to the CER - the Commission for Energy Regulation. The division of ESB you are dealing with are ESB Networks, who own and operate the distribution grid (and so can supply electricity from any of the suppliers - ESB Power Gen, BGE Airtricity etc). They have a set of rules around grid access that have to be agreed with the CER - do you have a copy?

Edit - forgot to say,if you're the same Grasshopper that I'm thinking off, I'm a fan of your work!
    Meeting a drone from the ESB on site tomorrow so will get that out the way and listen to the excuses before I contact the regulator.

P.S not sure you have the right person,I'm on BFF if that makes sense to you?

Tremelo wrote: »
    I think the good folks over on the Construction and Planning forum might be a better help to you. Thread moved from Infrastructure.
    Thanks for that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

You could always go direct to Networks HQ in Dublin - they're supposedly fairly reasonable to talk to.

Yup - I was referring to your abilities with a loader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Meeting a drone from the ESB on site tomorrow so will get that out the way and listen to the excuses before I contact the regulator.

P.S not sure you have the right person,I'm on BFF if that makes sense to you?

Yeah you've hit the nail on the head alright they are drones every last one of them! Ive had many unfortunate dealings with them in the past and im sorry to say that not a single one was pleasant.

Tomorrow you're going to meet a jumped up fool who has been brainwashed into thinking that he's a modern day Einstein. I dont know what hes expecting to tell/do for you tomorrow cause its obviously more complicated than a normal switch out/in. I would say that maybe your old MPRN No is expired cause you've been swithched out for so long and now theyre just following procedure in getting you a new one, which normally would involve getting a new meter installed, cable pulling connection to the substation etc.
    But saying as all they would have to do is throw a switch in your nearest substation alongside a bit of paperwork I would certainly advise that you fight to get that price reduced considerably.

PS. They really dont like people getting narky or smart with them, so dont get aggitated or he'll drive off and leave you in the lurch

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

I had a similar situation where I was refurbing an old cottage, got ESB out to take down the existing cable to get scaffolding up, when it came to reconnect I was charged circa €1700 because the power was off for over 2 years. As much as I hate to say it, it's there in black & white on their website...
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/restoring_a_connection.jsp
    The best thing I could do was talk to a guy who knows a guy to get the reconnection in 6 weeks as opposed to 12.
    Hope you might have better luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

We have a "Talk to - ESB Customer Supply" Forum which I think this thread is ideally suited for, so I will move it there....:)

Currahee01 wrote: »
    I had a similar situation where I was refurbing an old cottage, got ESB out to take down the existing cable to get scaffolding up, when it came to reconnect I was charged circa €1700 because the power was off for over 2 years. As much as I hate to say it, it's there in black & white on their website...
    http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/restoring_a_connection.jsp
    The best thing I could do was talk to a guy who knows a guy to get the reconnection in 6 weeks as opposed to 12.
    Hope you might have better luck.
    I'm expecting to be dished out a load of text book explanations why they have me over a barrel and made to feel like a criminal and in a way I suppose I'm gearing myself to pay the full ammount but I would like to do my best to avoid it as essentially something has to give to pay the extra and unexpected charge and that something right now looks like the downstairs bathroom will be left undone :(

We have a "Talk to - ESB Customer Supply" Forum which I think this thread is ideally suited for, so I will move it there....:)
    Thanks Tom,this thread is been moved around like an asylum seeker :D,second time today

• Advertisement

Aidan1 wrote: »
    You could always go direct to Networks HQ in Dublin - they're supposedly fairly reasonable to talk to.

Yup - I was referring to your abilities with a loader.
    Athlone seems to be the new one stop shop for teflon excuses and responsibility dodging within the ESB.

Have to say I have had alot of dealings previously with the ESB in a previous life and always found them bang on to deal with and efficent as state bodies go but this time has been a complete let down and turn off for me all over such a stupid rule. . . . . .madness IMO

Oh and glad you enjoy the videos. . . . . 2011 season will be a big surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PeterHughes

During a refurbish of a house I had to remove 1 meter and move a second 4 feet right and 2 foot up on the same wall.

ESB charged me €80 for the removal of the 1 meter and quoted €495 for moving the second one.

I booked in the €80 removal and while the engineer was on site asked him very nicely if he would move the second meter and with a €40 handshake the job was done.

Dunno if this helps but good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

This has absolutely nothing to do with ESB Customer Supply, really shouldn't be here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Grass Hopper,

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. Not an ideal situation by any means.

As Aidan1 has pointed out above, ESB Networks are a separate outfit from ourselves.

I could arrange for somebody from ESB Networks to contact you about this if you wish. However, I can see you have taken steps in this direction already.

Their full contact details are outlined here. You may also find the following link useful:

- Charges, Policies and Procedures

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

ESB Networks were applying the electricity connection rules when they quoted you for a new connection. This is from their website:

If your house has been disconnected for more than 2 years, apply online or contact ESB Networks by phoning 1850 372 757 in order to apply for a new connection to the house.

This rule has the sanction of the CER so I wouldn't be hopeful of getting any derogation of it in your particular case.

I agree though that it does appear harsh assuming that not only the poles but the service wires from them to the house are still intact and that the meter is still in place. Are they?

Regards,

Fnergg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The reason for this rule being in place (and not only sanctioned, but driven by both CER and ETCI), is due to the hypothetical case of a twenty year old installation in rag order coming up for reconnection, where certification to ensure safety is not only essential, but where work may also be required on Networks side to bring it up to par. For the customers safety and reliability of supply, it must be said.

In this case, it was a relatively recent disconnection, and one assumes the supply side is okay, but not necessarily. In my view, instances like this should be looked at on a case by case basis, with site visits done to ensure all is well on Networks side, and quote for a reconnection fee if not.

IOW, the requirement IMO should be;

-RECI/ECSSA cert as an absolute minimum,
    -Networks site visit to ensure integrity of ESB side, and if not,
    -Capital cost contribution by customer to bring it up to par, and
    -Reconnection at the standard rate plus the contribution if any (in most cases unless it's been off since the year of queen dick, this may not be needed).

A call to the local Networks office and a request for a site visit and a chat may pay dividends.

That said, if the OP persists in such twattish behaviour as calling people drones and cowboys when they have no control over the rules, but yet may be able to offer constructive advice and help rather than excuses, they will probably meet with little success. Frustration is one thing, lashing out blindly at people is quite another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

keppler wrote: »
    Yeah you've hit the nail on the head alright they are drones every last one of them! Ive had many unfortunate dealings with them in the past and im sorry to say that not a single one was pleasant.

Tomorrow you're going to meet a jumped up fool who has been brainwashed into thinking that he's a modern day Einstein. I dont know what hes expecting to tell/do for you tomorrow cause its obviously more complicated than a normal switch out/in. I would say that maybe your old MPRN No is expired cause you've been swithched out for so long and now theyre just following procedure in getting you a new one, which normally would involve getting a new meter installed, cable pulling connection to the substation etc.
    But saying as all they would have to do is throw a switch in your nearest substation alongside a bit of paperwork I would certainly advise that you fight to get that price reduced considerably.

PS. They really dont like people getting narky or smart with them, so dont get aggitated or he'll drive off and leave you in the lurch

There's so much misinformation in here, I don't even know where to start. Not a single sentence here is accurate, technically or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The reason for this rule being in place (and not only sanctioned, but driven by both CER and ETCI), is due to the hypothetical case of a twenty year old installation in rag order coming up for reconnection, where certification to ensure safety is not only essential, but where work may also be required on Networks side to bring it up to par. For the customers safety and reliability of supply, it must be said.

In this case, it was a relatively recent disconnection, and one assumes the supply side is okay, but not necessarily. In my view, instances like this should be looked at on a case by case basis, with site visits done to ensure all is well on Networks side, and quote for a reconnection fee if not.

IOW, the requirement IMO should be;

-RECI/ECSSA cert as an absolute minimum,
    -Networks site visit to ensure integrity of ESB side, and if not,
    -Capital cost contribution by customer to bring it up to par, and
    -Reconnection at the standard rate plus the contribution if any (in most cases unless it's been off since the year of queen dick, this may not be needed).

A call to the local Networks office and a request for a site visit and a chat may pay dividends.
    +1

This is exactly the case.

And a general word of caution, read any contract being signed, there are always caviats involved and it was the two year limit that put the OP into the higher connection fee bracket, but this was all in print for all to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gerard G

Find myself in almost the same situation as Grasshopper.
    Built a new house in 2006 and paid €1,400 to ESB Networks to get connected. Was unable to complete the house due to financial difficulties and got the ESB disconnected in late 2008. I used the grand total of 5 units of electricity in that time.
    I am now finishing the house and want to get reconnected. I have been quoted a figure of €1,700 approx by ESB Networks to get reconnected as I have been disconnected for more than 2 years ( 2 months over ).The reconnection involves the replacement of a fuse which they removed when I was being disconnected ( 15 minutes work at a stretch ). I have also been told that the reconnection may take up to 12 weeks.
    The whole thing is absolutely bizarre. It seems a case of ESB Networks abusing their monopoly position and blatantly ripping off customers who find themselves in financial difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ESB CS: Chris

Hi Gerard G,

I appreciate your concern over this matter. I can imagine that you have already been in contact with ESB Networks, however if you wish to discuss this matter further, David lists the contact information in his post above.

Many thanks
    Chris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dermy

Grass hopper, very sorry to hear what you are going through. It is very frustrating I'm sure but if I could just play Devil's advocate for a second. ESB Networks are rigourously regulated by CER. That means all prices and industry best practices are regulated and in many cases dictated by CER. I don't know for sure, but I'll guess the timelines and prices in your case are not decided by ESB Networks.

As for the staff of the ESB, I feel that they are being unfairly treated by some posters on this thread. One time I was let down when waiting for a new connection to be energised but other than that I think that ESB are actually pretty good to deal with, and the staff (especially the Network guys in the yellow vans) are actually pretty helpful. (and they have a reputation for not cutting people off when they should be cut off!). And I have never heard 'excuses', just the actual reasons they can't help, usually genuine.

anyway, I hope you get sorted out and that the house turns out ok. But I'm afraid you'll probably have to pay this cost in full and if you have an issue with it, you should take it up with CER, not ESB. You could contact ESB about coming up with a payment plan if needs be, you might be surprised at how willing they might be in that regard.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 noway2

grasshopper..........read the rules.......stop being a drama queen........ESB Networks' 2 year rule has long since been in place since before you decided to skip back from New Zealand.......it's an electricity connection not a paper round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

noway2 wrote: »
    grasshopper..........read the rules.......stop being a drama queen........ESB Networks' 2 year rule has long since been in place since before you decided to skip back from New Zealand.......it's an electricity connection not a paper round

Welcome to boards and your first post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

noway2 wrote: »

But the charge for 1,000euro two reconnect is a load of sh1te ripp off if you ask me..
    Thats like asking eircom to enable your phone line again and asking for a thousand euro for it which would NEVER happen ..

Even if the house was left for 2years why does it cost so much to probably just flick a switch for the electric to be turned back on??

Just a money making scheme from ESB..

But i have to admit he should have at least rang them before leaving Ireland just to confirm what would happen if the house was left disconnected for 2 years ..a charge of 100-250 euro to reconnect is more reasonable tough there should be no charge at all..and to say it will take 12weeks to get power back to he house is ridiculous to be honest:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Flick a switch my aras! You have no idea what load changes have taken place on that line in 2 years. Has it been upgraded to the new 20kV standard? Of course you don't know. The charge is justified and reasonable for what in effect is a new connection after 2 years idle.

Anyway, wrong forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 davidguiden

jay93 wrote: »
    But the charge for 1,000euro two reconnect is a load of sh1te ripp off if you ask me..
    Thats like asking eircom to enable your phone line again and asking for a thousand euro for it which would NEVER happen ..

Even if the house was left for 2years why does it cost so much to probably just flick a switch for the electric to be turned back on??

Just a money making scheme from ESB..

But i have to admit he should have at least rang them before leaving Ireland just to confirm what would happen if the house was left disconnected for 2 years ..a charge of 100-250 euro to reconnect is more reasonable tough there should be no charge at all..and to say it will take 12weeks to get power back to he house is ridiculous to be honest:eek:
    me and the girlfreind mangage to buy a house ony just and the esb want 1740euros to reconect it suits them to treat it as a reconection as its was vacant for 2 years the meter and wireing are in place all they have to do is open the minipilar outside the house and connect 2 wires minutes work tryin to make ejits out of people the esb a wasters and so is the energy regalation crow shower of scum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hypothetically, could any of our protagonists have paid their 100e reconnection fee after 23 months and then asked to be disconnected again, and repeat until they were ready to remain connected permanently?
    I know I'm probably missing something, in that it might not be safe to connect the house at the 23 month stage or somesuch, but there's some logical discrepancy between the two charges.

The charge is justified and reasonable

LOL!! reasonable i doubt that a charge like that is where do they expect people to get this sort of money?

me and the girlfreind mangage to buy a house ony just and the esb want 1740euros to reconect it suits them to treat it as a reconection as its was vacant for 2 years the meter and wireing are in place all they have to do is open the minipilar outside the house and connect 2 wires minutes work tryin to make ejits out of people the esb a wasters and so is the energy regalation crow shower of scum

Thats a joke it is they expect people who can just afford to live to pay them 1000's of €'s just because it suits them i'm highly in doubt that it really costs them this much money to reconnect a house with electricity!
    After paying the huge reconnection fee they then hit you with a first bill which here in Ireland aint all that cheap!
    Typical companys getting away with shafting the peoplefor money they dont have.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This is an old thread, which should not be bumped like this. But if you had read it, you would see that it is ESB Networks that your issue is with, not ESB Electric Ireland. You may as well direct your complaint to eircom for all the good it does here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement