Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Majoring in Digital Arts & Design / Game Art = Worth it?

Options
  • 13-01-2011 6:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Ok I'm at a very confusing point in my education. High school senior here, planning on attending Full Sail University in Florida. Now my best subjects are Math and Physics (currently enrolled in AP Calc AB, AP Stat and AP Physics in high school), and I love love love digital art & design.
    I've done tons of Photoshop/Flash in the past 3-4 years and have been doing tons of creative stuff in them like Typography, Kinetic Animation and all....now is the time when i get to convert this hobby into a career.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've been a 3d artist since the 80's when the only 3d (animation) software was written inhouse. When games went 3d, i worked at Atari making arcade games in the bay area (arcade games at that time were the cutting edge of consumer 3d). After that I worked at five or six game companies over the years, had a couple of #1 bestsellers, worked on all of the various consoles at different times. I'm not even sure how many games I've worked on off hand. I've used max since r1, many years of Maya.etc etc.

Anyway... I dont mean to sound like I'm boasting, just establishing credentials.

Working in the game industry can be grueling. The competition is cut throat, the jobs are bid low and you'll be working weekends for months because there isnt money in the budget to hire any more help.

The only people who are paid less than game artists are testers. Testers work for nothing because they've been fooled into thinking the experience is payment enough. If you're learning art or programming in the evenings and being a tester during the day then the experience is valuable but otherwise testing alone wont be a step on the ladder to anything (creative).

If you're into Maths and Physics, have you considered programming? You'll make three times more money and have a lot more power over your career. Programmers with a little art experience are a dime a dozen but programmers with a LOT of art experience are rare and it would be a huge advantage (I think).

Sorry this is a bit disjointed (i'm at work). Not in the game industry incidentally; industrial design. (which means I get paid more and get to go home at 5.)

Is it worth studying for a career in the game industry? (I realize that's not exactly the question you're asking.)

Yes, absolutely. 100%

If you're into games, computer art and being around people with the same interests then what else could you do? Its really really fun, its one of those "wow, they pay me for this?" kind of careers. Or it was for me. Its also not something you want to be doing past the age of 45. The pressure means burn out is common and really after 40 or so you'll want to get a life.

Anyway best of luck!

Advertisement