Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co.Wexford getting left behind again.

Options
  • 13-01-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

The headline on the local paper states that the new Enniscorthy By-Pass due to start in a couple of months is being shelved until at least 2015.
    Meanwhile the town is choked with traffic and even a simple journey turns into a nightmare.
    During the boom years the county was treated as a second class citizen as funding,jobs etc. went elsewhere and now when times are hard we get kicked when we're down.
    Rosslare is marketed as a Europort but once you leave it and head North the road network is second rate until you reach Gorey.The much vaunted resurfacing works South of Enniscorthy on the N11 are pitiful.That surface won't last 6 months.Maybe the council knew something when they started it and decided to resurface the entire road instead of a patching job and hoped the new surface will last 5 or 6 years until the by-pass is up and running.
    How can the county attract new enterprise when we have a transport network thats years behind anywhere else.Like it or not an area is judged on distance from Dublin and with a decent road the trip from the County could be done in no time.
    Once more the County of Wexford waits for the crumbs from the table only to be left hungry.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Sure we're only in the sticks.

What do we matter.

This is what annoys me about everything being decided from Dublin, what the f*ck do they know about Wexford and what needs to be done sitting in their offices in the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 theforum

I agree with you.

Its also hard to recall any announcement of high end jobs over the last 5-10 years (with the exception of Clearstream this week).

We have our lame duck politicians to thank for this. Our county has returned a stable diet of two FF TD's without reservation for far too long. FF have seen this as a certainty and as such have never felt it necessary to promote any of the TDs to ministerial ranks. We can blame ourselves for this!

Theres even less cake on the table now so unless we get someone with competence to be a part of the next government, we're going to fall further and further behind the rest of the East and South East.

Looking at the current line up, the only ones with a hope of a cabinet position are Howlin, Twomey and Kehoe as chief whip.

Wexford needs to vote strategically!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

theforum wrote: »
    I agree with you.

Its also hard to recall any announcement of high end jobs over the last 5-10 years (with the exception of Clearstream this week).

We have our lame duck politicians to thank for this. Our county has returned a stable diet of two FF TD's without reservation for far too long. FF have seen this as a certainty and as such have never felt it necessary to promote any of the TDs to ministerial ranks. We can blame ourselves for this!

Theres even less cake on the table now so unless we get someone with competence to be a part of the next government, we're going to fall further and further behind the rest of the East and South East.

Looking at the current line up, the only ones with a hope of a cabinet position are Howlin, Twomey and Kehoe as chief whip.

Wexford needs to vote strategically!
    Totally agree, Rosslare is a major Irish port and the road out of it, until you hit Gorey, is ****. Use your vote wisely at the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Totally agree, Rosslare is a major Irish port and the road out of it, until you hit Gorey, is ****. Use your vote wisely at the election.

Travel by ferry to Fishguard or Holyhead and you'll find the routes from the ports have all been upgraded to motorway standards.Apart from the ports there is little else in that part of Wales but the government over there deemed them important enough to have decent links to them.I'm sure continental/UK drivers look forward to dodging potholes once they drive off the ferry in Rosslare.
    @Ledger-Is there any news on the New Ross By-Pass,seems to have gone very quiet lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

zerks wrote: »
    Travel by ferry to Fishguard or Holyhead and you'll find the routes from the ports have all been upgraded to motorway standards.Apart from the ports there is little else in that part of Wales but the government over there deemed them important enough to have decent links to them.I'm sure continental/UK drivers look forward to dodging potholes once they drive off the ferry in Rosslare.
    @Ledger-Is there any news on the New Ross By-Pass,seems to have gone very quiet lately.

Not true as regards Fishguard anyhow, you have to travel on a pretty average A road for about 30 miles before you reach a dual carriageway and another 15 miles before you reach M-way. And I would reckon the N11, bad and all as it might seem, to be a better road. Wider and more oppurtunity for overtaking.

But I am very much in favour of upgrading the N11, that bit north of Arklow is a death trap still. The N11 upgrades of the early 1990s were very shortsighted in my opinion. A lot of money was spent widening and straightening the road and that is now obsolete. It should have been dual carriageway and Enniscorthy bypassed. The N/M9 in comparison had been starved of investment and this was ultimately to it's advantage as the whole lot was converted to new build motorway.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

Your guess is as good as mine, afaik, it is coupled with the construction of the enniscorthy bypass, so if that has been put back the ross bypass may have been put back also.

Its crazy, since the waterford bypass was completed, New Ross is now the ONLY bottleneck on the entire N25 from rosslare to cork, and the only bottleneck from rosslare to Killarney, which would include the entire N22.

I mean for f*ck's sake, thats the entire southern corridor of the country, am i the only one who thinks this is outragous!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Hiya AFAIK the New Ross by-pass is still going ahead. We are near the proposed route (our house is near the roundabout that would bring you off the main N25 and onto the N25 heading towards New Ross) and there has been a few meetings recently between the public and the council and some local businesses and the council.

I assume the owners of the Rhu Glenn will have a lot to say about this proposed by-pass and also the few garages that are along the N25 on the way into New Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The New Ross bypass is coupled to the Enniscorthy one in contracts and neither will go ahead until at least 2015. The views of petrol station owners are irrelevant tbh.

I wasn't talking about petrol station owners.

No notification has been given to locals in relation to the New Ross by-pass being put off until 2015.

The most recent meeting on the New Ross by-pass was last week and nothing was mentioned about it being put off until 2015. This meeting was with members of the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭karlkavo

The whole infrastructure in general is brutal in Wexford. Theres no major shopping centre for such a large county you would think there would be a few. Wexford town is dismal, parking is a joke and the shops are crap. Broadband coverage is a joke, public transport is minimal, and for such a large county with plenty of land theres feck all public parks. On the plus side we have great beach's. I think the people of Wexford have the attitude that their country folk and dont want any big city stuff. We need better infrastructure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I hope when this election rolls around that the good people of Wexford remember how little are FF TD's have done for us. In particular Mr. Browne who, in my opinion, has been asleep at the wheel for far to long. Not wanting to fight for anything for this county. Not fighting for jobs, not fighting for Wexford General Hospital and not fighting for our road network.

Lazy arrogant politicians. Truth of it is the rat will jump ship before the day of reckoning comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

mfitzy wrote: »
    But I am very much in favour of upgrading the N11, that bit north of Arklow is a death trap still. The N11 upgrades of the early 1990s were very shortsighted in my opinion. A lot of money was spent widening and straightening the road and that is now obsolete. It should have been dual carriageway and Enniscorthy bypassed. The N/M9 in comparison had been starved of investment and this was ultimately to it's advantage as the whole lot was converted to new build motorway.

Upgrade to section north of Arklow is scheduled to start this year,one of only 2 N road schemes to start. I think people should have a bit of perspective, the motorways to Limerick, Cork and Galway only finished in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

jd wrote: »
    Upgrade to section north of Arklow is scheduled to start this year,one of only 2 N road schemes to start. I think people should have a bit of perspective, the motorways to Limerick, Cork and Galway only finished in 2010.

...yeah "FINISHED" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Ozzie wrote: »
    ...yeah "FINISHED" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah? Cork, Limerick and Galway are substantially bigger than Wexford.

Reading The New Ross Standard last night,the New Ross by-pass has also been put off for at least three years, along with Enniscorthy.

(Cannot link to article, The Standard's website is now a pay site.)

And why has nobody along the route been notified of this? The council were quick enough sending out their demand letters for land.

And why has nobody along the route been notified of this? The council were quick enough sending out their demand letters for land.

The council say they are going to continue with CPO's on the routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Ledger wrote: »
    The council say they are going to continue with CPO's on the routes.

Probably because once the procedure is started, if it is not completed within a certain amount of time, and the land they are buying bounded, then they have to start it again from scratch, revaluing and everything, so it'd be a further waste of money. I only know this because I have a couple of uncles who are having land CPO'd for the Enniscorthy one and are watching the timing there.

cython wrote: »
    Probably because once the procedure is started, if it is not completed within a certain amount of time, and the land they are buying bounded, then they have to start it again from scratch, revaluing and everything, so it'd be a further waste of money. I only know this because I have a couple of uncles who are having land CPO'd for the Enniscorthy one and are watching the timing there.

That's good to know, that was one of my concerns, that they would be able to dick around and have no money for the land and no road to speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Saw a piece in this weeks Echo and County Manager Eddie Breen knows nothing of a 5 year delay for the Enniscorthy bypass-he reckons it will begin next year at the latest.Who's telling the truth here?

• Advertisement

Yeah was in the New Ross Standard that there has been a E12.8m allocation for the New Ross bypass and that there is no delay.

Someone's lying along the way obviously.

Advertisement