Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Magnet is not easy

• 13-01-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered, I couldn't find anyone in a similar predicament!

I'm out of contract with Magnet a few months now, so every now and then I look at my options. Last week the search began in earnest and I noticed something very odd: every provider who does landline broadband is saying that their product is unavailable to me. I eventually talked to someone in Vodafone who said he knows what the story is: Magnet have some strange setup on the line that is not a straightforward swap to another provider. It must go back through Eircom first before it can be re-setup. Basically meaning I'd be without broadband for approx. 2 weeks if I ever want to move.

I find this very hard to believe! Is this really the case?

Do I have any alternative?

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Magnet use LLU, which means your line is connected to their equipment in the exchange. If you change to another provider, the line will have to be disconnected from Magnet, and reconnected to eircom's equipment. This is carried out by eircom engineers, and although it shouldn't take long to do, between the time that Magnet cancels your service and eircom disconnect and reconnect, it could be a while. They quote 2 weeks because they want you to know that it isn't instant.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes its really the case, its not some strange setup at your exchange its LLU.
    The likes of Smart and Vodafone (previously BT) also have their own equipment, in the vast majority of cases LLU means you can get faster Broadband then non-LLU ADSL Broadband providers.

Both enabling a LLU service and ceasing it (removing it) can take time as it requires physical engineering works as jor el has outlined.;

Advertisement