Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque lodgement to NIB via post office

Options
  • 13-01-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've always been pleasantly surprised by how quick lodged to my NIB acc clear. Dome have been available immediately. Now however my branch is cashless and I'll have to lodge the cheque via the PO. Has anyone done this yet and how long did the process take? Was it longer than before? A week till payday and I could really use access to this money asap!!

Also is it still possible to cash a cheque? It's from my employer and the branch I'd be going to is the branch their acc is with (AIB)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

havana wrote: »
    Hi. I've always been pleasantly surprised by how quick lodged to my NIB acc clear. Dome have been available immediately. Now however my branch is cashless and I'll have to lodge the cheque via the PO. Has anyone done this yet and how long did the process take? Was it longer than before? A week till payday and I could really use access to this money asap!!

Also is it still possible to cash a cheque? It's from my employer and the branch I'd be going to is the branch their acc is with (AIB)

Thanks.

Yes indeed this new Post Office lodgment concept is a pain in the arse. unlike yourself my branch actually closed and merged with a branch a million miles from me, also cashless. Whilst the PO concept is wonderful in theory, finding one that is linked up is not easy particularly my location (Laois) where not a single PO is on the system, i have to travel to Offaly where there is only one branch (Birr) on the system.

Cash Lodgment's are straight forward via card and they hit your account immediately, Cheques are a little tricky, firstly you need to verify the PO your using accepts cheque lodgment's as not all do currently, you can check this out on the NIB website were its updating all PO rolled out or pending role out. You will need to use the lodgment slips supplied by NIB to lodge a cheque at a PO. The lodgment will hit your account immediately but unfortunately it will take 5 working days to clear, unless of course its an NIB cheque which will clear quicker. Unfortunately one down side to this new lodgment arrangement is the lack of personal relationship. I would advise you contacting your branch and ascertain if your pay cheque could be cleared quicker or perhaps seek an Overdraft facility to the value of your pay cheque, this way you will always have funds available on a weekly basis.

Unfortunately NIB have made a mess of this new PO Lodgment arrangements, they should have insured the PO arrangements were fully set up before closing branches or going cashless.

Ooop's, just re read your post and misunderstood the cashing of an AIB cheque. Yes it should be possible to cash your AIB cheque but only at the branch it is issued from. It would help if you had ID and perhaps a note from your employer unless of course you have an AIB account.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

NIB is cashless but a cheque is not cash. You can still lodge cheques, bank drafts and postal orders at your local NIB branch.

Elessar wrote: »
    NIB is cashless but a cheque is not cash. You can still lodge cheques, bank drafts and postal orders at your local NIB branch.

Are you sure? this was not the info i was given? this said my Branch "NAAS" closed completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Are you sure? this was not the info i was given? this said my Branch "NAAS" closed completely!

Positive. All branches of NIB can lodge cheques. I can't comment on whether naas branch closed or not.

Edit: http://www.nationalirishbank.ie/en-ie/Personal/Day-to-day/self-service/Pages/An-Post-Cash-Solution.aspx

Elessar wrote: »
    Positive. All branches of NIB can lodge Cheques. I can't comment on whether NAAS branch closed or not.

Thanks for that, I miss understood, this said there's not a single branch in Laois and apparently none in Offaly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Naas must have been pretty recent. Now it looks like Walkinstown is the nearest!

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Naas must have been pretty recent. Now it looks like Walkinstown is the nearest!

Yes the NAAS Branch closed effective 16th December and merged with Walkinstown which was very helpful to me given i live in Laois! A well, god bless the PO

Advertisement