Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatal Collision, M20, Thursday Morning.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Munstermad wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea of who these two lads were R.I.P.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0113/rta.html

There is a reason why the media don't release names straight away.
    The same should apply here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Was it actually on the dual carriageway it happened? The pic on the RTE website looks like its the connecting road from the motorway to the Dell roundabout, dunno how accurate that is.

Terrible stuff either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-off-duty-gardai-at-centre-of-road-accident-investigation-489148.html
    13/01/2011 - 10:15:55
    The office of the Garda Ombudsman is investigating a fatal crash in Limerick in which two men were killed when a car carrying two off-duty Gardaí struck them.
    The men, who were pedestrians, were killed near the Dooradoyle exit on the M20.
    It is believed the men were in the middle of the road when it happened.

I just watched the one o'clock news on RTE player and they didn't mention the accident once. Very strange.
    anyway very sad for all involved.
    Sympathies to the families

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1088860

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

sf80, try to keep the hyperbole out of this please.
    Amiable, thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Was driving down the slip road by Old Crescent onto the bypass other night, and a young fella in a dark trackduit was walking along the road, as if to take a short cut out to raheen from roxboro going this way.
    absolutely insane......
    horrible thing to happen. It must be a shock to the gardai, as in fairness you don't expect to see 2 people on the road, especially that road...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

There was a mention on the RTE news that there was a Car Parked
    close to where the accident occurred that Gardai are trying to track down, and a mention of a Woman believed to be related to one of the men driving it.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

I always get really nervous when they say two young men in their 20s. Limerick's so small you're bound to know them. Or know someone who does.

Very sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Them link roads around that area of raheen/dooradoyle onto Southill weston rathbane...the greeen areas/waste land always used to hide drugs/guns etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm removing this thread until more concrete information is released.
    There's too much speculation going on at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Jaysus, that was bad luck. Reminds me of once I was driving into Shannon at night, and a car was pulled up on the hard shoulder, just before the pedestrian walkover, and a guy who was drunk was walking up the road in the middle of traffic. Two other guys were following him trying to get him back in. It's like a row broke out in the car, and he bailed...
    He was very lucky the road was lit...

Something about this doesnt add up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Passed it on the other side around 12.15 and while it was hard to see exactly you could see 4 or 5 Garda cars already there and two ambulances passed me seconds later on their way to the scene.

Sounds like a strange incident alright. Think its the first serious accident Ive seen on that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I heard it was two travellers fighting on the road.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

bigpink wrote: »
    Something about this doesnt add up

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

did something serious happen or was it a coincidence, that the two were
    around the same time

2 lads in the middle of a road,if it was the hard shoulder less risk of getting hit
    Plus a car they were in fled the scene bit odd to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

How so?

Based on the news reports, it's unusual for two people to be standing in the driving lanes of a motorway - day or night.

It's also even more unusual for a car to be stopped on a motorway hard shoulder with no driver, just two passengers, and then when two people get hit by a car nearby, for a passenger from that car to get out, take a look at the accident, then hop into the drivers's seat and just take off.

At least I think these things are unusual, and I'd say it's things like this that bigpink was referring to.

[EDIT: bigpink got in before me with a more concise answer!]

2 lads in the middle of a road,if it was the hard shoulder less risk of getting hit
    Plus a car they were in fled the scene bit odd to me..

You're a genius

• Advertisement

There was more in the written press today but i can't find a link to it so i don't want to post it

amiable wrote: »
    There was more in the written press today but i can't find a link to it so i don't want to post it

Yeah, a lot of the papers have started charging for the use of their websites. Makes things awkward when nobody knows what's going on!

You're a genius

Why did you ask so

Why did you ask so

Sorry, I was implying that you were stating the obvious there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You're a genius
    Sorry, I was implying that you were stating the obvious there.

A bit harsh? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

tippman1 wrote: »

Sounds like 2 charming lads, here is the full page from the link

IrishExaminer.com - Monday, January 17, 2011
    Deaths/In Memory
    FRONT | IRELAND | SPORT | WORLD | BUSINESS
    Gardaí believe car that fled Limerick road deaths scene contained drugs
    By Jimmy Woulfe and Fiachra O Cionnaith - Saturday, January 15, 2011

GARDAÍ believe that the car carrying the two men who were knocked down and killed on the outskirts of Limerick on Wednesday contained illegal drugs and are hunting for the female driver who sped off after the fatal accident.

The first man killed after being struck by a private car driven by an off-duty garda has been named as Mark Farrell, 29, from Lotamore Drive in Mayfield. The other victim was Gavin O’Callaghan, 20, of Courtown Drive, Knocknaheeny, Cork city.

Both are understood to have been involved in a row and were grappling on the roadway of the overtaking lane of the N20 just outside Limerick city when the vehicle collided with them.

They had driven to Limerick from Cork earlier in the evening with at least one other individual and were returning to Cork at the time of the incident.

The car, which was driven by a woman who officers are still seeking to locate, had pulled into the hard shoulder near a turnoff on the N20 about three miles from the Patrickswell turnoff.

Both men had left the vehicle after an altercation.

According to unconfirmed reports they were both lying and grappling on the road when they were hit just before midnight on Wednesday by the privately owned car of a garda who had come off duty at Henry Street station in Limerick city. He was accompanied by a female officer who had also come off duty.

It is believed that the woman driving the car carrying the two deceased drove off immediately after the accident and did not return to the scene.

The deceased men, who died instantly, were both known to gardaí.

Farrell had more than 80 convictions related to the sale or supply of drugs, theft and assault at the time of his death.

They included an 18-month sentence in July 2008 for beating his 70-year-old mother with a lamp in order to gain money while on temporary release from Cork Prison for a previous offence.

The incident occurred at a time when Farrell’s mother had a barring order against her son, who had been released the day before the incident after serving 17 months of a previous two-year sentence.

It is believed Farrell had not been living at the family address for some time and had been residing in various locations in Cork over the past number of years. He was unemployed and single.

Mr O’Callaghan, 20, had also become known to officers and had developed a significant heroin problem in recent years.

The Garda Ombudsman’s office is currently investigating the incident as an officer was involved.

They are still trying to locate the car in which the two Cork men had been travelling, which is believed to be in the Cork city area.

State pathologist, Dr Marie Cassidy carried out a postmortem on both bodies at the Mid-Western Regional Hospital on Thursday.

The car driven by the off duty garda has been impounded for technical examination by the ombudsman investigators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Darwin Awards territory if they really were rolling around wrestling on a motorway in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

zuroph wrote: »
    Good riddance.

Im not generally one to speak ill of the dead but after reading that Irish Examiner report it would seem that the world is certainly a better place without one of those individuals in particular.

Advertisement