Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 205 v TOM TOM Start

Options
  • 13-01-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Looking for advice - I have a voucher for €90 to use up as its about to expire for an electronics store - anyway I was going to pick up a Sat Nav and as I have no idea about these matters was wondering if ye could assist on advising which would be the better purchase between the following :-

Garmin Nuvi 205 at €99

and the TOM TOM Start at €110

I understand that both are the basic standard GPS but would prefer to get the feedback of folks that may have them on which I should get

Also - do you have to pay a subscription fee annually to the GPS system or is it a one off payment - sorry i'm sure this is a stupid q for the well informed

thanks for help

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not much between them at that level.
    Tom tom devices have mapshare which allows you to make corrections on your device and share with others.
    Garmin has Locate post codes.
    Really best to look at both in store and see what you make of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The Garmin could generally be considered a tad better, this particular Garmin does not do routes.

IMO this is a major feature. If limited to these two choices, then this Tom Tom wins the sale. ;)

Go Garmin.com and do a compare for their own products.

There are three basic models in all models, North America or Europe or UK [Reginal Italy, Germany etc]. Price is from highest to lowest.

Then we have features: This can be exciting but we are entering a new age in SatNav so a lot of the real beneficial stuff is not fully rolled out yet.

Depending on your phone, I'd recommend a blue tooth version and I'd recommend one that has at least one route.

Keyboard choice for the Garmin a new option and carries a premium, for me only a QWERTY key entry will do from now on ** I think more of the Tom Tom's have keyboard choice in basic models.

Just a few thing for you to think about. hope it helps.

M007 wrote: »
    Also - do you have to pay a subscription fee annually to the GPS system or is it a one off payment -

Garmin have a number of services:

Map Updates: One free update within 60 days. Then you could buy a lifetime map but take note this won't work if you buy a new unit. ***

Traffic Updates for the T versions; given free to suitable models, only working in Dublin currently.

Speed Cameras annual subscription:

Live Routes: Annual Subscription.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What traffic service are Garmin charging for?
    Surely not the TMC service supplied by DCC.

koolkid wrote: »
    What traffic service are Garmin charging for?
    Surely not the TMC service supplied by DCC.

I didn't say they were charging for the traffic.

But they may be charging for the live update which is a new service [not in Ireland at all AFAIK].

• Advertisement

Apologies I misread that when I seen you mention traffic in reply to the posters questions re subscriptions.
    Are Garmin planning live traffic services? I haven't heard anything myself.

Garmin nüLink!

As part of this service it could provide road updates in realtime, but no timeframe and model specific and subscription.

It uses the Internet so probably won't be great here!

Advertisement