Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Help

• 13-01-2011 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I am currently trying to help create an online presence for a local record store and one of the ideas I am considering is creating a forum for the store. It currently doesn't have an official site, just a Facebook account, MySpace, etc, so I'm guessing it would be an indpendant forum, something along the lines of say Nuclear War Now. I'm just looking for a bit of advice on this.

1)How much would it cost to set up a forum?
    2)What sites/programmes are best to use?
    3)Does hosting a forum cost the same as hosting a website?

I've been messing around with www.forumotion.com, which allows you make a free forum and that seems kind of cool, but I'm not sure if it professional enough.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions about creating a forum? I've posted this in 3 places because im not sure which forum its best suited too (its also in internet marketing & web development, so moderator, please feel free to delete the posts which are in the wrong place).

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

A forum would be cheap enough to start with, sign up with any shared hosting provider for as little as 2/3 euro per month and you'll get a hosting account with forum software such as phpbb already pre-installed and ready to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye PhpBB3 is free, vBulletin is not. They are 2 of the main forum softwares out there.

Heres an example of both:
    vBulletin
    phpBB3

You can also add mods to both to customise them whichever way you want.]

Starting off, I'd say go with phpBB3. Its free so if the site doesnt get that much traffic, then you didnt waste €150 or so on vBulletin. If it does take off, you can always just convert your database from phpBB3 to vBulletin using a script found on the vBulletin forums.

If you've never got hosting before, I suppos you can go for the cheapest one that supports a database, eg mySQL and php. However, a lot of the times you get what you pay for, but if uptime isnt that important, go with the cheapest you can find.

Advertisement