Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lee Morrison seminar 2011 - Dublin

• 13-01-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just a heads up about the upcoming seminar in March. There has been great response to this so far so there about 12 or so places left. It will be limited due to space constraints. Drop me a line if anyone is interested.

cheers

seminar-poster-copy2.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

without giving your secrets away can you briefly explain what a "combative approach to counter grappling" is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

without giving your secrets away can you briefly explain what a "combative approach to counter grappling" is?

What secrets?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

The last time he was over i believe you said that anyone from boards could down and observe, is that still ok for this one?, i couldn't make it the last time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Should be a great seminar Jon, really looking forward to it.

Shhhhhh....make sure you keep those secrets under your hat. :D

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    The last time he was over i believe you said that anyone from boards could down and observe, is that still ok for this one?, i couldn't make it the last time...

You're welcome to come down and train mate, why would you want to come down and watch? We're already stuck for room - come down for the session by all means, I'll try get a Boards discount going if I can :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Don't know anything about Urban Combatives so I Googled it. Is this the same guy in the below vid fighting spacemen?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

yomchi wrote: »
    You're welcome to come down and train mate, why would you want to come down and watch? We're already stuck for room - come down for the session by all means, I'll try get a Boards discount going if I can :)

Im not really intrested in this urban combat/reality stuff to be honest, it's just that the last time Lee was over i seem to remember that the person organising it, offered anyone on boards that wanted to,to come along and have a look if they wanted and see what it was all about, it was a bit short notice the last time, just taught i would ask, but maybe it wasn't you, it could have been baggio...

Im not really intrested in this urban combat/reality stuff to be honest, it's just that the last time Lee was over i seem to remember that the person organising it, offered anyone on boards that wanted to,to come along and have a look if they wanted and see what it was all about, it was a bit short notice the last time, just taught i would ask, but maybe it wasn't you, it could have been baggio...

Maybe it was, either way if you're not interested your not interested so enjoy your Sunday doing something else. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Is there any videos or articles that descibe his 'counter-grappling'? I wont be attending the seminar but I am just interested. Thanks

but maybe it wasn't you, it could have been baggio...

Aye it was me... But it was only offered to specific people.
    Im not really intrested in this urban combat/reality stuff to be honest

'Nuff said in that case. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Is there any videos or articles that descibe his 'counter-grappling'? I wont be attending the seminar but I am just interested. Thanks

'Counter grappling'.. I'm wondering at this too, ie is it grappling techniques to counter an attacker or a counter to someone grappling?. (if that makes sense).

I'm attending, and looking forward to it too :cool:

'Counter grappling'.. I'm wondering at this too, ie is it grappling techniques to counter an attacker or a counter to someone grappling?. (if that makes sense).

I'm attending, and looking forward to it too :cool:

Hi Martin, you'll really enjoy this I can assure you.
    Just to put everyones curiosity to bed about the use of the word grappling, i'm sure the BJJ lads won't mind us using it for a short while :D

In the dictionary the word grapple is defined as- " engaging in a struggle or a close encounter with another person." or "to tussle at close quarters".
    As everyone will know, Combative principles are geared towards reality and scenarios encountered during a real fight dynamic.

The counter grappling module covers the inevitabilities of two people clashing during a vertical or stand up row. That being a few digs are thrown and the two combatants end up in some sort of messed up or fukced up tangle of death grip and stiff arm holds as a battle for dominance ensues. In sport this is known as clinch range and from there many submissions can follow. In combative training we work to create distance to resume striking.

The counter grapple module also covers the event of two people falling to the ground with either your assailant in a more dominant position or being on top of you and you underneath or vice versa. The module covers various pins like scarf holds and head locks/neck cranks etc.

It's titled The Last Resort because, and again in combative circles the ground is deemed the last place you would want to end up and again based on reality, the chances are if you are engaged in a scuffle that ends up on the ground you will be rolling around on the path, in the gutter or on the road way with all the inevitabilities of the environment coming into play. We also pay mind to the fact that while your on the ground and in certain circumstances there is a high possibility that your assailant has mates and will give the token kick to the head while your down there.

So what we cover are tried and tested methods of fighting within these ranges but without sport in mind, it is after all self protection training with realistic scenarios to the fore with the objective being get back onto your feet as soon as possible by the best methods available.

:)

I just find it a curious phrase and am perplexed to as to whether there should be a hyphen in it or not. Like the only way to counter a 'grappling attack' is to out grapple someone. So is counter-grappling just grappling. Obviously in the combatives or self-defense scenario you wouldn't be limited to grappling techniques and would combine striking in this defence as you feel fit.

Generally speaking the majority of individuals and groups I've seen coin the phrase counter-grappling use it to imply they have some sneaky tricks such as eye gouging and the shredder to deal with any grappling attack and is often associated with martial arts (e.g. Kenpo) who have a chip on their shoulder about BJJ and other grappling styles.

According to Morrison's website he's seasoned in Judo and Wrestling so should have a wealth of grappling knowledge. One would hate to think someone is teaching 'anti grappling' without having ever grappled extensively.

Hi Martin, you'll really enjoy this I can assure you.

I'll be looking forward to bringing my grappling to Cabra :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I think Sid nailed it there. Regardless to what he's actually teaching, the term he's picked sounds dangerously close to the infamous anti grapple, so it's going to raise some eyebrows.

Obviously in the combatives or self-defense scenario you wouldn't be limited to grappling techniques and would combine striking in this defence as you feel fit.

That's it mate spot on.
    According to Morrison's website he's seasoned in Judo and Wrestling so should have a wealth of grappling knowledge. One would hate to think someone is teaching 'anti grappling' without having ever grappled extensively.

He wrestled competitevly in Greco-Roman, his most senior student Alban is an active Greco-Roman wrestler who is on the competition circuit in England. Most of the grappling stuff we do is greco based.

I think Sid nailed it there. Regardless to what he's actually teaching, the term he's picked sounds dangerously close to the infamous anti grapple, so it's going to raise some eyebrows.

Aye but let's not get caught up in the labelling of it, marketing has its place in everything. It is what it is.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just off a 24hr shift so my logic is a little fussy at the moment.. But what is "anti grapple"?, someone who just doesn't like to grapple or who doesn't like grappling?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just off a 24hr shift so my logic is a little fussy at the moment.. But what is "anti grapple"?, someone who just doesn't like to grapple or who doesn't like grappling?.
    The deadly anti-grapple is a term that started popping up around the same time as BJJ's star started to rise. Basically you'd have these Black Belt magazine articles, videos, seminars, etc where Master Whatshisname would explain how with a few simple eye-gouges, knees to the groin and downward elbows, you could completely neutralise the Gracie threat, thereby making your current martial art relevant again.

From my understanding of the word it means "against"

Edit: just checked dictionary.com - yep it's against :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

The deadly anti-grapple is a term that started popping up around the same time as BJJ's star started to rise. Basically you'd have these Black Belt magazine articles, videos, seminars, etc where Master Whatshisname would explain how with a few simple eye-gouges, knees to the groin and downward elbows, you could completely neutralise the Gracie threat, thereby making your current martial art relevant again.

Ah grand, don't need to go buying that stuff... Roll with Karl Roche for an hour and you'll experience all the nasty in the world :o

All joking aside, thanks. I don't buy into superstar's (unless they wear white pyjama's :p ) or these Black Belt magazines etc so I'm out of the loop when it comes to the 'ol lingo here sometimes.

Too busy training & learning I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

When I read the thread headline, I thought for a moment the seminar was been given by Lee Murray!! :eek::D

SanoVitae wrote: »
    When I read the thread headline, I thought for a moment the seminar was been given by Lee Murray!! :eek::D

Maybe if there's enough interest he'd do one for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Maybe if there's enough interest he'd do one for you.

I don't think he'll be available to give seminars for a little while....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

You'll just have to wait 25 years:p

You'll just have to wait 25 years:p

Oh, lol..

Just waking up, resting off after a 24hr shift and as I said earlier, I'm a little fuzzy :(

At the end of the month, looking to close this off now as there are few spaces left. Those that said they were interested need to get onto me ASAP ;)

míle buíochas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Presume you have me down?!
    Will ask around at training tomorrow night to see if anyone there interested and if so, will let you know...

• Advertisement

I do indeed! Back on Saturday if you're about.

I do indeed! Back on Saturday if you're about.

Good stuff, see you then...

one or two pull outs this week, so if anyone is interested in taking them spots let me know ASAP!

Cheers
    :)

Should be a good one! I've a few lads popping up with me over the two days as as well. :)

Martin that invite still stands mate if you're available, no hassle if you're not. I meant to buzz you this week but with everything going on I forgot. Let me know anyway :)

Great days training yesterday with Lee, surprising amount of boardsie's turned up actually, great to meet you all.
    Today we're into the Last Resort module. Ibroprofen-check, solpadiene - check, duct tape... Check :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the great day Jon! Myself and the lads had a blast. Also a big thanks to all the guys who showed up - it was a great turn out! :)

Cheers,

Rob.

Today we're into the Last Resort module. Ibroprofen-check, solpadiene - check, duct tape... Check :D

what's this about?

Great days training yesterday with Lee, surprising amount of boardsie's turned up actually, great to meet you all.

Damn me for not checking for updates on this thread :(

And damn you for moving into the 21st century with a facebook account.

what's this about?

Probably knocked the bollox out of each other :p

No hassle Martin, I was meant to give u a buzz.
    It was a great session, two full on days and plenty of fun.

• Advertisement

Still on a bit of a high today after yesterday!! My poor wife had to listen to me recount the session in detail to her yesterday evening! :D
    Only one bad thing...the fact that I missed Sat - annoying!

Lee is pretty exceptional, already looking fwd to the next one!!

Enjoy the physio today Jon! You're getting too old for this S**t :P

TKD SC wrote: »
    You're getting too old for this S**t :P

Leave it out! :D

Advertisement