Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JD lawn mower LA145

Options
  • 13-01-2011 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hello, i'd like to ask a question.

i want to buy John Deere, lawn mower LA145 (<-link, click to watch), but i have no experience with such machines. This might be my first mower. I have a lot of area, it's mostly flat. I was thinking buying somethink like this for a long time. It's not very expensive, so i though - why not.

Let's make life easier:) I think that during winter those machines are cheaper.
    Could you tell me if it's a good choice, what should i pay attention to? What is important to check before buying?
    Is the price OK? Maybe i should bargain?
    Every reply appreciated.
    Frank
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

I have one with a grass bag on the back. To be honest the pipe to the grass bag just keeps blocking if the grass is any way damp so I generally just mulch. These are a super mower. Mine has 210 hrs on the clock (my brother and I share the machine as we live across the fence from each other. No extra costs other than servicing as of yet.
    If you are going to mulch all the time you will need to mow about every 4-5 days though or any mower will leave clumps unmulched on the grass though.
    If you want to talk to me about it pm me, I'll send you my number and you can ring me. I paid €2600 new with the grass bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

Thanks for you reply. I will be using it once a week or less. I have already called current owner, and we are almost talked for 2300. But it's still not very cheap. I will look for mode offeres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

If you have a lot of area I would buy an older bigger machine
    Heard that some of these new deeres are castle garden mowers painted green with deere stickers.
    A mower made by john deere would cost close to 20k new.
    I got a jd 455 diesel for under 3000 a few years ago it has a 4 foot deck and would cut wet grass 12 inches high and runs on the smell of diesel.
    I probably fill the tank once a year.
    I would recomend a john deere diesel or a kobota diesel with a 48 inch deck

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Belongamick

Lads,

I have one of these for about 2 years and they are a very good mower. Went for the 22hp because we have approx 1 acre of ground with some inclines.
    Agree with previous post that they are not great in wet grass and I find you need to mow every 5 days during the summer. This is not ideal in wet summers when it could be two weeks between cuts, leaving the mower with alot to do when you finally get the chance to mow.
    I have a mulching kit and find no issues with it. Servicing is important and an annual event - yo do not have to be a mechanical genius to do this and I am sure you could find somebody locally to do it or show you how to do it once.
    If all else fails check out Youtube!
    Price seems reasonable and they are a sturdy machine.
    Mick..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

be careful.. I am told also that it is more likely to be a castle garden mower painted green with deere stickers.

They are American imports and spare parts cannot be got for them in this Country. Also it doesn't have a grass collector. Might sound cheap but isn't of great quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

I will wait with purchasing, and collect other offeres on the internet. And i will go the dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

djmc wrote: »
    If you have a lot of area I would buy an older bigger machine
    Heard that some of these new deeres are castle garden mowers painted green with deere stickers.
    A mower made by john deere would cost close to 20k new.
    I got a jd 455 diesel for under 3000 a few years ago it has a 4 foot deck and would cut wet grass 12 inches high and runs on the smell of diesel.
    I probably fill the tank once a year.
    I would recomend a john deere diesel or a kobota diesel with a 48 inch deck

where did you pick up that djmc? I have a petrol ride on that too small for the job and sick of constantly runnig for petrol for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Any petrol John Derre is a CastleGarden made machine under licence to JD with all the running gear of CG and a Briggs & Strat engine or similar. - JD only make the proper Diesel one's themselves.

Advertisement