Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enrolling a five year old in school without a visa

Options
  • 13-01-2011 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

This is a highly theoretical question.

I already know that provided you were self sufficient, had adequate medical cover & left the country every 2.5 months for a couple of days, you could in theory move to the US without a permanent visa/green-card.

However, to throw a curve ball into it. What would happen if you had a young child ?

The child would obviously need to be enrolled in school over there & would not have a social security number etc.

Could that be done ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Most states will allow illegals to attend school, but not college. There is also great homeschooling support if you'd be travelling a lot.

Your first assumption is wrong though- on the Visa Waiver Program, you can be refused entry anytime, and must spend more time out of the country than in. Thus, if you did as you said above, you'd be refused entry probably on your third entry, definitely on your fourth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for that silja.

Even if you had sufficient means to live (I don't, it's just hypothetical) ? Private income from outside the US ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yep, even then.
    If you wanted to stay longer (not working), you could try to apply for a tourist visa, B2. This gives you 6 months and a one time extension (another 6 months) is often granted if you have the means. Or, if you were indeed independantly wealthy, there is an investor visa- but for that you need to invest at least 500'000 dollars into a US company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

School could be pretty easy depending on your state. Here in Texas it's illegal not to educate a child and they don't check immigration status in schools. However a car is essential here, to get insurance you would need a Tx licence, to get that you have to prove valid legal status or duration longer than 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

just to second what silja has said......the visa waiver program is for tourists only. You are not allowed live in the US on the visa waiver program, even if you don't have to work to support yourself. Homeland security will refuse you entry if they feel you intend to live in the US which will be very clear to them if you continuously leave the US just before your 90 day limit expires and then return a few days later.

Not to mention the difficulty you'd actually have living here on on the VWP. You wouldn't be able to get a social security number which means you wouldn't be able to get a bank account, any type of insurance, in most cases you can't rent a home without one, you definitely can't buy a house, you wouldn't be able to get a drivers license, or buy a car from a dealer.

• Advertisement

Not to mention the difficulty you'd actually have living here on on the VWP. You wouldn't be able to get a social security number which means you wouldn't be able to get a bank account, any type of insurance, in most cases you can't rent a home without one, you definitely can't buy a house, you wouldn't be able to get a drivers license, or buy a car from a dealer.

I had a TX licence, a car, health + house + car insurance as well as a mortgage without a SSN, I did have legal immigration status though ( not all categories of status entitle you to a SSN). My (Irish) parents have a US bank account too, so they have a visa debit to use when they visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I had a TX licence, a car, health + house + car insurance as well as a mortgage without a SSN, I did have legal immigration status though ( not all categories of status entitle you to a SSN). My (Irish) parents have a US bank account too, so they have a visa debit to use when they visit.

My apologies.....you are right lonestargirl......i should have clarified that some companies won't require a SSN, but places like BMVs would look for proof of status

My apologies.....you are right lonestargirl......i should have clarified that some companies won't require a SSN, but places like BMVs would look for proof of status

I agree wholeheartedly with your substantive point though, day-to-day living as an illegal is very difficult and only going to become more so. People say things like "my uncle has been there 20 years and he has no hassle". Well 20 years ago anyone could get a SSN and so long term illegals having many of the outward trappings of legality. Many of these people are going to find themselves in trouble soon as new laws require proof of legal status for driving license renewals.

Advertisement