Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl

Options
  • 13-01-2011 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I'm just wondering if you could help. My boyfriend bought ski gear in Lidl on Monday for me. I only saw him last night and the stuff is all too big! He bought ski gear for himself too, paid for it all on his credit card however can't find his receipt.
    I went in last night to the store they were bought in to see could I get a refund. It's as clear as day all the stuff came from Lidl as they still have a few things. They will not authorise a refund. I'm wondering the fact that he paid for it with his credit card and can get a statement is there anyway he can get a refund? The stuff is stupidly big on me so I wouldn't even wear them for the sake of one week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

First things first, you are not entitled to anything from Lidl at this stage.

Secondly, anything they may offer is a gesture of goodwill.

The fact that you don't have a reciept which outlines the good actually sold the store have no idea if you got it from them, or another store or indeed from a time they previously had it on sale or indeed from a totally different place altogether. A credit card statement will only show that something was bought in Lidl, it could be baked ham or whiskey .. it won't offer proof that the Ski gear was actually purchased.

Unfortuantly, there isn't anything wrong with the goods and you don't have any rights what so ever.

I would suggest you try and speak nicely with the store manager, he/she might be nice and allow you to swap for a suitable size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Since when did Lidl start accepting credit cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 confused21

whippet wrote: »
    First things first, you are not entitled to anything from Lidl at this stage.

Secondly, anything they may offer is a gesture of goodwill.

The fact that you don't have a reciept which outlines the good actually sold the store have no idea if you got it from them, or another store or indeed from a time they previously had it on sale or indeed from a totally different place altogether. A credit card statement will only show that something was bought in Lidl, it could be baked ham or whiskey .. it won't offer proof that the Ski gear was actually purchased.

Unfortuantly, there isn't anything wrong with the goods and you don't have any rights what so ever.

I would suggest you try and speak nicely with the store manager, he/she might be nice and allow you to swap for a suitable size.

Thanks for the reply. I guessed that myself just wanted a second opinion. I spoke with the supervisor! I can't change for a smaller size as they have none left!

Oh well looks like I'll have to try sell them online or something. Cheers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

confused21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I guessed that myself just wanted a second opinion. I spoke with the supervisor! I can't change for a smaller size as they have none left!

Oh well looks like I'll have to try sell them online or something. Cheers again!

maybe you could find a store where they could have smaller size in stock?

I'ts win/win situation for you and Lidl .

Just make sure that you mention the name of the supervisor and the fact that he/she agreed to exchange the item for you

This is off topic but I found Lidl very good with their exchange/returns policy

Regards

J

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm just wondering if you could help. My boyfriend bought ski gear in Lidl on Monday for me. I only saw him last night and the stuff is all too big!

He bought ski gear for himself too, paid for it all on his credit card however can't find his receipt.

Sure he bought it in Lidl?
    Lidl don't accept credit cards...only debit cards like Laser (and Visa Debit ONLY) and cash
    I went in last night to the store they were bought in to see could I get a refund. It's as clear as day all the stuff came from Lidl as they still have a few things. They will not authorise a refund. I'm wondering the fact that he paid for it with his credit card and can get a statement is there anyway he can get a refund? The stuff is stupidly big on me so I wouldn't even wear them for the sake of one week.

Although they might refund they legally don't have to, wrong size affectively is viewed as a "change of mind" in the eyes of the law.
    A change of mind does not mean anybody has to give you a refund, a company "might" but purely as goodwill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Trampas wrote: »
    Visa debit card isn't a credit card.

me bad:o

thanks for explaining this to me

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sure he bought it in Lidl?
    Lidl don't accept credit cards...only debit cards like Laser (and Visa Debit ONLY) and cash

Although they might refund they legally don't have to, wrong size affectively is viewed as a "change of mind" in the eyes of the law.
    A change of mind does not mean anybody has to give you a refund, a company "might" but purely as goodwill.

He definitely bought them in Lidl with his credit card. I don't know when they started allowing credit cards! I always use my laser there!.

Thanks for your comments guys I appreciate them.

Some how I doubt I'll get my size anywhere as our Lidl is a small store!

Funny what happens when the man buys you clothes, instead of picking up the phone and asking me like I asked him to....he decides to put them up against him to see what size they were!! Expensive mistake!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's unopened and re-saleable, and you have some proof of purchase, then Lidl are normally pretty good on refunds. A card statement should be an acceptable proof of purchase.

They don't have to though, so you can't force it.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    If it's unopened and re-saleable, and you have some proof of purchase, then Lidl are normally pretty good on refunds. A card statement should be an acceptable proof of purchase.

They don't have to though, so you can't force it.

They are unopened I never even tried them on as he bought me size 14/16 and I'm an 8/10!! :) All I can do is laugh!! He can sort it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He definitely bought them in Lidl with his credit card. I don't know when they started allowing credit cards! I always use my laser there!.

Thanks for your comments guys I appreciate them.

Some how I doubt I'll get my size anywhere as our Lidl is a small store!

Funny what happens when the man buys you clothes, instead of picking up the phone and asking me like I asked him to....he decides to put them up against him to see what size they were!! Expensive mistake!!!

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.service.au.sl.ser

The Lidl.ie site specifically mentions accepting Laser, Maestro and Visa Debit cards, none of which are credit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

They are unopened I never even tried them on as he bought me size 14/16 and I'm an 8/10!! :) All I can do is laugh!! He can sort it out!
    I learnt years ago never to send a man shopping for clothes!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

kelle wrote: »

What are you doing on the internet!

Back in the kitchen!

I'm glad someone else saw the funny side to a bad predicament!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I've found both Lidl and Aldi more than helpful when changing stuff once i had the receipt.

I'm glad someone else saw the funny side to a bad predicament!!!:D

Sorry, I actually meant to delete that but I DID have to go back to the kitchen (thank you, Mactard:D)!

It just reminded me when I sent my husband to buy me tights, and he bought horrible orange ones in a small size - I'm 5'9" and the crotch was at my knees! So lesson learnt....

Anyway, did you try asking for a credit note? I never dealt with Lidl, but have successfully got credit notes from other stores for goods returned without receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You obviously haven't met this man, and your best chance is now gone, for I am committed to another. Herself is happy with things I buy for her; not only does she say so, but she actually wears them.

[And no, I'm not thinking of lingerie that nobody else gets to see. Well, okay, I am now, but I wasn't when I wrote the paragraph above.]

Hey all have to give you an update and a laugh or cry whatever way you want to take it! Well Lidl stuck to their guns of no receipt, no refund which we accepted. However we asked for a credit note and they would be able to resell the ski gear...customer service wouldn't allow.
    We were with the manager making this call. The manager went on to advise in a nice way and on the sly (as we are regular customers and recognised us) he said that the only way they can refund goods without a receipt is if they are damaged!! So we were shocked and surprised to find all of the items had been slashed with a stanley blade!!:eek::cool::confused:
    Yes we had to do it, and yes we feel terrible ruining good items but it was either that or be €70 down with items I couldn't use!

My view is...yes you need a receipt for a refund but atleast offer a good will gesture of store credit. I know some of you are going to be shocked and disgusted with us but really we were left with no choice as we can't afford to just throw away €70! Just thought I'd update you all!:o

Hey all have to give you an update and a laugh or cry whatever way you want to take it! Well Lidl stuck to their guns of no receipt, no refund which we accepted. However we asked for a credit note and they would be able to resell the ski gear...customer service wouldn't allow.
    We were with the manager making this call. The manager went on to advise in a nice way and on the sly (as we are regular customers and recognised us) he said that the only way they can refund goods without a receipt is if they are damaged!! So we were shocked and surprised to find all of the items had been slashed with a stanley blade!!:eek::cool::confused:
    Yes we had to do it, and yes we feel terrible ruining good items but it was either that or be €70 down with items I couldn't use!

My view is...yes you need a receipt for a refund but atleast offer a good will gesture of store credit. I know some of you are going to be shocked and disgusted with us but really we were left with no choice as we can't afford to just throw away €70! Just thought I'd update you all!:o

OMG!!! That is so shocking, it's funny! I'm glad you got sorted (well, kinda sorted!).

I bet your boyfriend will remember what size clothes to buy you in future!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Mactard wrote: »
    What are you doing on the internet!

Back in the kitchen!
    When did Andy Gray start posting here?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    When did Andy Gray start posting here?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

DA29KBXZTO.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Mactard wrote: »
    DA29KBXZTO.jpg
    LOL:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

"Yes we had to do it, and yes we feel terrible ruining good items but it was either that or be €70 down with items I couldn't use!"

Yeah, but you can afford to go skiing. Sure.

That kind of vandalism disgusts me. The supervisor of that store should be sacked for encouraging that behavior.

Your boyfriend made 2 pretty daft mistakes - now lidl have to pay for them - not right of fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tbh If I were working in Lidl head office and saw this post, I'd seek out which store this was and fire the manager. As you said, the products were unopen as you'd seen the size and laughed.
    You have dangerously low scruples.

OMG!!! That is so shocking, it's funny! I'm glad you got sorted (well, kinda sorted!).

I bet your boyfriend will remember what size clothes to buy you in future!

Oh he definitely will kelle after me explaining to him how the size of clothes work that it's not based on your height!!! Ah I feel terrible but least we have the money back! :o

"Yes we had to do it, and yes we feel terrible ruining good items but it was either that or be €70 down with items I couldn't use!"

Yeah, but you can afford to go skiing. Sure.

That kind of vandalism disgusts me. The supervisor of that store should be sacked for encouraging that behavior.

Your boyfriend made 2 pretty daft mistakes - now lidl have to pay for them - not right of fair.

No it's not right and not fair but it was literally 2 days later we initially tried to bring the goods back. It was as clear as day they were bought in Lidl! Unopened and tags were all still on it. I think that to stop this sort of thing happening Lidl should review their terms and conditions.

I was just as shocked that the manager said this to us! Yes he was taking a chance by saying it but he thought it was stupid too that he couldn't authorise a refund. It is disgusting and I do agree with you. As I said I'm not proud of what my boyfriend had to do but we weren't taking a hit!

Oh and for the little dig you gave me about affording to go skiing...that is none of your business. I have worked long and hard and had been saving for months for the trip. It was hard work that's why I can't afford to just throw €70 away. I'm not in a high end job that I can afford to throw money away. I say very few people are!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - this isn't After Hours. Please stick to the topic at hand.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

OP - it might not be that hard for someone from Lidl head office to come across your post and track down the 'damaged' ski suit in their returns, you could land that manager in some trouble with your post. I'd seriously consider editing it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No it's not right and not fair but it was literally 2 days later we initially tried to bring the goods back. It was as clear as day they were bought in Lidl! Unopened and tags were all still on it. I think that to stop this sort of thing happening Lidl should review their terms and conditions.

I was just as shocked that the manager said this to us! Yes he was taking a chance by saying it but he thought it was stupid too that he couldn't authorise a refund. It is disgusting and I do agree with you. As I said I'm not proud of what my boyfriend had to do but we weren't taking a hit!

Oh and for the little dig you gave me about affording to go skiing...that is none of your business. I have worked long and hard and had been saving for months for the trip. It was hard work that's why I can't afford to just throw €70 away. I'm not in a high end job that I can afford to throw money away. I say very few people are!

So you think Lidl should change their policy because your other half doesn't know your size and can't find a receipt?
    Maybe they should also change their policy and refuse to accept goods that are damaged, making sure people can't afford to go skiing by vandalising perfectly good clothing. Christ, people in this country are so goddam selfish its unreal.

Advertisement